Gorringe, Nicholls and Smith; Who's interested and what are they worth?

Remove this Banner Ad

TheTigerEffect

Team Captain
Sep 11, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Plenty
The Suns have Dixon and Lynch locked in as their KPF posts for the next 10 years. Both can play 20-30% ruck a game if needed. That means the Suns would likely only need one (or two possibly) of Gorringe, Nicholls and Smith. I will assume they will draft a ruckman/KPF this year too in order to have viable options should someone get injured or want to leave.

I'm unsure as to who Gold Coast will have as their first choice ruck. Nicholls has been outstanding and Smith has always been their first choice. Gorringe was a number 10 pick and has massive potential.

So which clubs want them and what are they worth?

I'd love the Tiges to target Nicholls or Gorringe. Nicholls will be very hard to get but I believe looks like a natural talent who would really fit in nicely. Gorringe would be more affordable and may be a great ruckman; former number 10 pick means he obviously has potential.

I can see Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn and some other clubs interested too. What would you offer?

Honestlly, I can't see what GC would get for Gorringe. They have to reduce their list size by three, so they won't want players. For the same reason, they'll only have 3 draft picks, and they've activated a first round compo pick for this year's draft, so their latest draft pick will be their second rounder and anything beyond that is worth nothing to them. If he does say he wants to come home to Adelaide, the only trade bait that would be worth anything to them is Port's pick first-rounder, which will probably be about pick 10. Pick 10 is far too high a price to pay for somebody with Gorringe's exposed form, but anything below that would be worthless to GC.

Maybe this is me putting my optimistic Port supporter's hat on, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that if he wants out (and if he has any brains he should, being stuck behind Smith, Nicholls and Dixon would very much stifle his development) they'd end up just giving him away for a token pick. Either that or a three-way trade would have to be worked out with another club.

Honestlly, I can't see what GC would get for Gorringe. They have to reduce their list size by three, so they won't want players. For the same reason, they'll only have 3 draft picks, and they've activated a first round compo pick for this year's draft, so their latest draft pick will be their second rounder and anything beyond that is worth nothing to them. If he does say he wants to come home to Adelaide, the only trade bait that would be worth anything to them is Port's pick first-rounder, which will probably be about pick 10. Pick 10 is far too high a price to pay for somebody with Gorringe's exposed form, but anything below that would be worthless to GC.

Maybe this is me putting my optimistic Port supporter's hat on, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that if he wants out (and if he has any brains he should, being stuck behind Smith, Nicholls and Dixon would very much stifle his development) they'd end up just giving him away for a token pick. Either that or a three-way trade would have to be worked out with another club.

Well, as long as you've identified the problem. ;)

We got pick 13 for Hickey, Clayton will probably look for the same.

Well, as long as you've identified the problem. ;)

Unfortunately for you guys, not every club is as dumb as St Kilda at the trade table.

If he does come to Port, the most I could see us giving up is a second rounder (most likely worthless to GC, so won't happen) or a trade of our first rounder for your end of first round compo pick. I'm just some nuffy from the Internet, but the current football department at Port are smart operators and they'll do what they consider best for the club, not what they consider 'fair'. Just ask whoever was in charge of the Brad Ebert or Angus Monfries deals.

Unfortunately for you guys, not every club is as dumb as St. Kilda at the trade table.

I don't think GC are dumb, but I do think that if Gorringe doesn't want to re-sign then a smart and ruthless club (a list which obviously doesn't include the Saints) could take advantage of your list management situation and have you over a barrel.

I don't think GC are dumb, but I do think that if Gorringe doesn't want to re-sign then a smart and ruthless club (a list which obviously doesn't include the Saints) could take advantage of your list management situation and have you over a barrel.

Not really, unless you plan to price him out of psd. Big risk to commit a prohibitive contract to a guy with his record

Sure, you could have him go $1.2m over 4 say, and no one touches him

But do you want to do that? Otherwise someone else takes a punt on him before you

Not really, unless you plan to price him out of psd. Big risk to commit a prohibitive contract to a guy with his record

Sure, you could have him go $1.2m over 4 say, and no one touches him

But do you want to do that? Otherwise someone else takes a punt on him before you

No, PSD is not an option if we want Gorringe, & I do believe we want Gorringe. If it was left up to the PSD too many other clubs before us would be capable of spending the dollars, plus have the desire to take someone like him.

Port's only way of getting him is by way of trade, I'm guessing that some kind of 3-way trade would be best.

Our 1st rounder would be paying a bit too much, IMO. Our 2nd rounder is not paying enough, IMO. Plus as Schulzenfest has said, it's very doubtful that GC would be keen on picking up another mid-range player considering their list management obligations.

So a 3-way trade, but what 3-way trade is ??????????? at this stage.

If you guys are really keen on Gorringe I imagine Gold Coast will definitely be after your first pick, but will probably end up accepting your first pick for Gorringe and a swap of later picks that see you move up the order in a later round or two, as we did last year with Hickey. Maybe even pick 10 for Gorringe and their 2nd rounder (approx 26).

You might want to be a bit more accurate. You got 13, 37 and 57 for Hickey 26 (which became 25 when Adelaide lost their 1st rounder) and 47.

So we got someone we (and from what I'm told, Hinkley) rated very highly for the ruck (who has shown plenty when played in the ruck for us this year, but has mainly been learning on the job how to play forward, for his development), plus we moved up at least 10 places in the order to the front of the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Moving up to the front of the 2nd round was particularly important, as it put us in a position to get the first of 8 "KPP's" that were taken between picks 25 and 33 and allowed us to get Spencer White, who as many have said, "could be anything", given his physical attributes and ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port very, very unlikely to give up their first round pick for Gorringe.

So may not actually happen, no real point in listening to what Rucci has to say.

Young ruckman with potential are always traded for more than they are probably worth.

I was going to make the same point. Rucks hold their value for longer precisely because it takes longer for them to come on. Meesen went from 8th to 37th after showing nothing. Cameron Wood went from 18 to 14 after showing some positive signs, probably a bit less than Gorringe. Hickey was obviously traded for pick 13. I've expect a late first rounder for a ruckman traded after a couple of years.

I'd give up our first rounder if it's around 13 if we finish a little higher I'd add a fringe player in. Our ruck man arent getting any younger could be a good chance to snap one up

Unfortunately for you guys, not every club is as dumb as St Kilda at the trade table.

If he does come to Port, the most I could see us giving up is a second rounder (most likely worthless to GC, so won't happen) or a trade of our first rounder for your end of first round compo pick. I'm just some nuffy from the Internet, but the current football department at Port are smart operators and they'll do what they consider best for the club, not what they consider 'fair'. Just ask whoever was in charge of the Brad Ebert or Angus Monfries deals.

Why mention the Monfries deal? It's not like Port orchestrated some trading master stroke, Gus was a free agent and could have just walked.

Lobbe and Redden have shown a bit, theres also Renouf, so theres not a huge need for Gorringe anyway, unless its considered that he has potential as a key forward.

Lobbe and Redden have shown a bit, theres also Renouf, so theres not a huge need for Gorringe anyway, unless its considered that he has potential as a key forward.

He considers himself a forward more than a ruck, if that helps.

Problem with Gorringe, compared to Hickey anyway, is that he has a fairly bad run with injuries with his ankles and achilles over the past two years.

Both Nicholls and Smith wouldn't be on the table though, I can agree with that.

You wouldn't be able to sit GC down at the trade table without offering your first round pick at a starting point.

Nicholls and Smith are both hugely impressive young players who down the track could well form the best ruck duo we have seen in years. Both of them are enormous talents who will only improve with experience. Many have argued that these players are 'untouchable' and whilst I don't believe in that notion as everyone has their price, these two would probably be close to that. Clearly it would take one hell of an offer for GC to be swayed into parting with either of them, and I certainly can't see an offer of that magnitude coming from any club as it would just be too much to give.

Gorringe hasn't yet established himself in his time at AFL level but continues to show glimpses of promise. He's currently behind both Nicholls and Smith but looks to be more of a forward than those two. These players often take time so that he has perhaps thus far 'under-performed' (and we can't forget that he has had injuries over the journey) won't sway GC into giving him up on the cheap. He may look to move on to another club in which case his value will lower slightly but he'd still be worth a first round pick and I can absolutely see some clubs offering that.

Rucci thinks that Gorringe to Port is a done deal, but I can't see that unless there is some inside information on Gorringe really wanting to come home. GC will want a decent amount for him, and Port simply won't offer a first round pick, while some other clubs more desperate for a ruck might.

Rucci thinks that Gorringe to Port is a done deal, but I can't see that unless there is some inside information on Gorringe really wanting to come home. GC will want a decent amount for him, and Port simply won't offer a first round pick, while some other clubs more desperate for a ruck might.
Rucci lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back