Greatest Sliding Doors

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll put my 10 cents worth on the "flag vs career" debate.
I've won a handful of country Premierships, I'm amazingly competitive and although I wasn't a bit part player id still trade them all for a career that enabled me to make enough money to never have to worry about it any more.

It's alive today? One team threepeated and the other is a national disgrace. It's pretty much an insult to Hawthorn to say there's a rivalry.

Fair call - its only Essendon and its supporters who still get excited about a win over Hawthorn. Hawthorn probably haven't worried too much about Essendon since the 'line in the sand' match back in 2005.

I'll put my 10 cents worth on the "flag vs career" debate.
I've won a handful of country Premierships, I'm amazingly competitive and although I wasn't a bit part player id still trade them all for a career that enabled me to make enough money to never have to worry about it any more.

People are missing the point - as Buckley presumably wouldn't have turned into Aaron Keating all of a sudden had he stayed at Brisbane. It is a clear sliding doors moment as I doubt his ability was that much better for having moved to Collingwood. If he stays - he potentially wins 3 flags and has claims in being in the top 5 all time players.

Had Carey not come to Adelaide, Crows would have got Pavlich instead who would have played in the Crows prelims against the Eagles back in the mid 00s and possibly still be on their list and maybe led them to a flag.

Port and the Crows have made numerous advances to Pav over the years but never landed him, you weren't going to get him Carey or not.

Port and the Crows have made numerous advances to Pav over the years but never landed him, you weren't going to get him Carey or not.

Actually this is where you are entirely wrong, he wanted to come home in the early 2000s but Ayres at the time wanted Carey instead and hence use the bargaining chips for that trade only. That was a genuine time and the only time we ever had of landing Pav.

I was playing monopoly the other day, and someone said 'I wish this money was real'. I thought it was the most boring and predictable thing I'd ever heard. Until I listened to SEN this morning, and someone said 'BUCKLEY WOULD HAVE WON FLAGS IF HE STAYED AT BRISBANE'. This f**king idiot probably stayed on hold for up to an hour just for the chance to spread his misery. Interesting that he did it after a Collingwood loss. Win or loss, doesn't matter. Buckley cops it either way. Some people just can't stand the sight of his face. Fair enough. There are some coaches I'd rather not look at. One day I glanced at James Hird on TV, and I threw up onto the carpet. Took me completely by surprise, and it took ages to clean up.

If people really want to obsess with sliding doors, and Bucks leaving Brisbane, let's nut this out once and for all...
First of all, would Brisbane's defence have withstood Essendon in the 01 granny without Chris Scott (the Lions wouldn't have gained Scott if they kept Buckley)? Maybe. Probably. I don't remember how influential Scott was on the day. Lions & Bombers fans could answer that question.

The Power would have overcome the Magpies in the 02 & 03 final series if Buckley wasn't present. I reckon they would have gone on to win both flags, as they had the wood over the Lions in that era. The history books would show the Power as triple premiers, and the dominant team of the early 2000's.

Actually this is where you are entirely wrong, he wanted to come home in the early 2000s but Ayres at the time wanted Carey instead and hence use the bargaining chips for that trade only. That was a genuine time and the only time we ever had of landing Pav.

Mate get your hand off of it. Pav was staying at Freo and even when we were challenging for flags we still couldn't convince him to come back here.

The Power would have overcome the Magpies in the 02 & 03 final series if Buckley wasn't present. I reckon they would have gone on to win both flags, as they had the wood over the Lions in that era. The history books would show the Power as triple premiers, and the dominant team of the early 2000's.

Can you not make me tear up thinking about this please? Thank you.

Mate get your hand off of it. Pav was staying at Freo and even when we were challenging for flags we still couldn't convince him to come back here.

Can you not make me tear up thinking about this please? Thank you.

You are deluded, the Crows had the opportunity to get Pav back in the early 00s and he wanted to come home. Ayres wanted Carey instead.

Every Crows supporter at the time knows this.

You were not even born, so please don't comment on topics you have no knowledge about.

I was playing monopoly the other day, and someone said 'I wish this money was real'. I thought it was the most boring and predictable thing I'd ever heard. Until I listened to SEN this morning, and someone said 'BUCKLEY WOULD HAVE WON FLAGS IF HE STAYED AT BRISBANE'. This f**king idiot probably stayed on hold for up to an hour just for the chance to spread his misery. Interesting that he did it after a Collingwood loss. Win or loss, doesn't matter. Buckley cops it either way. Some people just can't stand the sight of his face. Fair enough. There are some coaches I'd rather not look at. One day I glanced at James Hird on TV, and I threw up onto the carpet. Took me completely by surprise, and it took ages to clean up.

If people really want to obsess with sliding doors, and Bucks leaving Brisbane, let's nut this out once and for all...
First of all, would Brisbane's defence have withstood Essendon in the 01 granny without Chris Scott (the Lions wouldn't have gained Scott if they kept Buckley)? Maybe. Probably. I don't remember how influential Scott was on the day. Lions & Bombers fans could answer that question.

Good analysis, and you could take Chris Scott one further, would the Brad Scott trade have been completed in 1997 without the lure of playing alongside his brother? While Buckley didn't play in the 2002 QF against Port, it's unknown if that match up would have occurred without Buckley being at Collingwood.

Another sliding doors moment affecting those grand finals is the Mal Michael trade, which was done to separate Tarrant and Michael. If Tarrant didn't return to the club after walking out in the late 90s the trade would not have been done, alternatively what would have happened had we traded Tarrant and kept Michael?

Not really. Brisbane won 3/5 over 2002 and 2003. Brisbane won 6/10 over that 2001-2004 era too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tony Lockett opted to remain in Victoria and joined Richmond or Collingwood, Sydney may not exist today
Makes sense to me, that was after Edelsten had brought the club to it's knees. Reckon it was Roos ultimately that saved them and led them back, but Plugger had some cred to keep them breathin.

What if Plugger came to Richmond with the proposed Campbell + assorted potatoes trade that was heavily rumoured at the time?

Richo and Plugger would've been the GOAT CHF/FF combo. Ninthmond probably wouldn't be a thing.

Ah yes. I have visions of the Richmond midfield (as it was then) streaming forward and delivering the ball juuuust over Richo's head and juuuust short of Plugger. The dummy spits would have been epic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back