Free Agency Harley Bennell [joins Melbourne as a delisted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is half the season.

I’m everyone - I didn’t know he would miss half the season.
It’s probably the first time the club has put any sort of timeline on it. Most track watchers had him miss first 6 or so weeks. Then you’d assume he’d spend a month in the VFL. I’d be happy to get him up and running in the back half of the year. In any event his recruitment wasn’t solely based on His output this year. They’d be hoping to get his calves right and to get a number of years.

It’s probably the first time the club has put any sort of timeline on it. Most track watchers had him miss first 6 or so weeks. Then you’d assume he’d spend a month in the VFL. I’d be happy to get him up and running in the back half of the year. In any event his recruitment wasn’t solely based on His output this year. They’d be hoping to get his calves right and to get a number of years.
How long is his contract?

He's been ruled out of AFL before June which everyone already knew would be the case, nothing has changed.

He'll be playing VFL pretty early, not the first few rounds.
The age is reporting another calf strain. Even on the low level with his history this will keep him out for a while.

2016: 0 games
2017: 2 games
2018: 0 games
2019: 0 games

He's literally been in the news for off field stuff more times than he has been in the side. Would be surprised if any team picked him up.
Yeah 2 AFL games in a 4 year period isnt good.

However....

WAFL games for Peel thunder

2016: 1 game

2017: 4 games (All late in the season) He played all 4 games late in the season then the last 2 dockers games of 2017.

2018: 11 games

2019: 4 games

So yeah 2 AFL games in 4 years. Yet Freo let him play in the WAFL to build up his fitness and endurance. Slowly by letting him play half a WAFL game then 3/4s of a WAFL game then a couple of Full WAFL games then play for the dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back