News Hawthorn Football Club make $10,000 Red Cross donation to help Tasmanian bushfire victims

Remove this Banner Ad

The donation is good and I am pleased they went public with it.

However, the bigger contribution will be the time and effort that players and officials can / will put in during the camps and into the future. This is the part that may not get media recognition but makes a real difference to people behind the scenes. I hear from people in Gippsland who talk of the efforts Clarko makes, travelling down there in his own time to lend a hand to folk affected by Black Saturday fires. This is done away from the media spotlight so it not just about PR, it is actually about caring and making a difference.

The donation is only the beginning, I suspect. What a great club. :thumbsu:

I reckon a charity practice match between our two mobs would be a good way to raise money ... (I also hope North makes a donation similar to yours)

I reckon a charity practice match between our two mobs would be a good way to raise money ... (I also hope North makes a donation similar to yours)
A great idea!
Set the BBQ up, all proceeds towards a relief fund. Particularly as we don't play each other in Tassie this year.

Bay13 quip: Perhaps an additional set donation amount for every goal Buddy kicks, much like what they do with Aces in the tennis? :p

A great idea!
Set the BBQ up, all proceeds towards a relief fund. Particularly as we don't play each other in Tassie this year.

Bay13 quip: Perhaps an additional set donation amount for every goal Buddy kicks, much like what they do with Aces in the tennis? :p

If we could get a few rich supporters to chuck in for every goal Buddy kicks, not only will there be enough to rebuild after the fires, but also construct a multi lane highway bridge from Tassie to the mainland.

But in all seriouslyness, wasn't there a game to raise cash after the Victorian bushfires?

(Only problem is I can't see the sports science types being too keen on players doing contact stuff etc at this time of year ...)

If we could get a few rich supporters to chuck in for every goal Buddy kicks, not only will there be enough to rebuild after the fires, but also construct a multi lane highway bridge from Tassie to the mainland.

But in all seriouslyness, wasn't there a game to raise cash after the Victorian bushfires?

(Only problem is I can't see the sports science types being too keen on players doing contact stuff etc at this time of year ...)
there was a concert not sure if a game was done that i have forgotten

there was a concert not sure if a game was done that i have forgotten

the only charity match played was way back in 1983 between the sun all stars and Carlton at VFL Park, the 1982 premiers, this was done to raise funds after the Ash Wednesday bushfires in early 1983, the game was won by the sun all stars, and became an annual event for the next 4 years. Hawthorn played the sun all stars in 1984, losing by 4 points, and Essendon played them in 1985 and 1986, winning the first game and losing the 1986 game, that is when the yearly event ended. I remember going to all 4 of these games as well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only charity match played was way back in 1983 between the sun all stars and Carlton at VFL Park, the 1982 premiers, this was done to raise funds after the Ash Wednesday bushfires in early 1983, the game was won by the sun all stars, and became an annual event for the next 4 years. Hawthorn played the sun all stars in 1984, losing by 4 points, and Essendon played them in 1985 and 1986, winning the first game and losing the 1986 game, that is when the yearly event ended. I remember going to all 4 of these games as well!
cool i did not know about that

Perhaps not an AFL match, but a hit and giggle game of 20/20(with Ponting) would get a few in.

Perhaps not an AFL math, but a hit and giggle game of 20/20(with Ponting) would get a few in.

That's a good call. As I recall Luke Hodge is a very talented cricketer.

Dunno if there's any Hawthorn supporting Test/decent players but I know Siddle and Punter (obviously) go for North.

A 20/20 game done mostly comedy style like the Legends game between North people and Hawthorn people would get a great crowd. Punter belting a six off Roughead etc, Cyril scampering between the wickets.

Sounds like a great shout. Having Punter and Buddy as the respective drawcards would get a crowd no matter what.

We should start a BF inspired social media campaign - what do you reckon grizzlym and Chief

Dunno if there's any Hawthorn supporting Test/decent players but I know Siddle and Punter (obviously) go for North.

A 20/20 game done mostly comedy style like the Legends game between North people and Hawthorn people would get a great crowd. Punter belting a six off Roughead etc, Cyril scampering between the wickets.

Sounds like a great shout. Having Punter and Buddy as the respective drawcards would get a crowd no matter what.

We should start a BF inspired social media campaign - what do you reckon grizzlym and Chief
For sure.

I'm not a cricket fan, so not aware of who any of the current names are for Australia, but Ian Healy, Mark Taylor and Damien Flemming are all Hawthorn fans apparently. Anyhow, I'd assume that the names Franklin, Hodge, Mitchell and Rioli would get a large number of people through the gates, regardless of the Hawthorn side not really having any current cricketers.

Perhaps Josh Gibson could be brought into the attack for the last over and bowl underarm?

HFC Official should have a look in here.

Nice idea. I'll make some inquiries. Nice to see you back too, mate. You been gallivanting around the place?

So the Tasmanian government pays us millions with tax dollars and we give them $10K back....yeah only small fish...hope there is more.

So the Tasmanian government pays us millions with tax dollars and we give them $10K back....yeah only small fish...hope there is more.

Does anything make you happy

It's a nice gesture, one they didn't have to do so why not see it for what it is and for the record the Tasmanian government benefits greatly from the sponsorship so stop making it sound like its a oñe way street

Does anything make you happy

It's a nice gesture, one they didn't have to do so why not see it for what it is and for the record the Tasmanian government benefits greatly from the sponsorship so stop making it sound like its a oñe way street

What? $10K isn't that much these days.

Watching some of the TV coverage tonight, devastating.

There was a comment that people staying away from the area just makes things worse, particularly in this high tourist season. With the club's Tassie community camp in Feb, maybe they could do one or two promotional events just to help get people into the areas.

What? $10K isn't that much these days.

And at the end of the day the hawks are a footy club not some multi national conglomerate and 10k is better than nothing
I think it's a nice gesture so we are going to have to agree to disagree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back