Toast Hawthorn have headf***ed everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason we will finish 14th/15th according to those 2 experts is because next season we will have 9 players aged 30 or over....

So? No mention that our best 5 or so players are under 30
BURGOYNE
ROUGHEAD
PUOPOLO
BIRCHALL
HENDERSON
FRAWLEY
SMITH
STRATTON
MCEVOY

BURGOYNE
ROUGHEAD
PUOPOLO
BIRCHALL
HENDERSON
FRAWLEY
SMITH
STRATTON
MCEVOY

Yep.

ROUGHEAD - slowing down, need to find a new role
PUOPOLO - got better later in the year, but seems to have lost something. Ollie coming through
BIRCHALL - will be back better than ever
HENDERSON - had a very very solid year. Does Scully replace him
FRAWLEY - held his own but had some shockers.
SMITH - had a stellar year. Probably only behind Gaff in terms of best wingman in the comp
STRATTON - great year
MCEVOY - careers best 2 years
BURGOYNE - could play til his 40. Still clutch.

Under 30s who are A-graders

Mitchell, JOM, Sicily, Hardwick, Wingard, Scully, Gunston, Breust......not a bad unit

The reason we will finish 14th/15th according to those 2 experts is because next season we will have 9 players aged 30 or over....

So? No mention that our best 5 or so players are under 30

Well they do say it’s your bottom six that tells the story and tbh 30 or not, it’s not a bad bottom six or in our case bottom 9 to have :p

Mike Sheahan is a Melbourne fan, let him be bitter, used to think he was a Cats fan given how salty he was that Hodge won the NS over Ablett (and that he got his tips wrong). He would not let that one go for weeks.

I still don’t think he has gotten over it. Think he had Hodge last for the Norm Smith that year. Opinions and arseholes do have 1 thing in common, that every one has one. It just so happened his was wrong.

I used to laugh at the headf***ed crowd, thought it was a bit of fun, but other club commentators and supporters seem to be genuinely headf***ed about Hawthorn. We've gone from calls of AFL intervention in the Scully trade due to being a strong club and it making us stronger, to an overperforming club who will somehow slide down 11 spots on the ladder despite bringing in a highly rated youngster, a bargain former #1 pick and a 2x All-Australian who is 25 and injury free.

I don't know how any football commentator with a clue could predict us falling to 15th or 16th with the reigning MVP and Brownlow Medallist, 2 of the top 10 goal kickers in the league and easily the best coach in the modern era. Every club that finished below us on the ladder will have to get better for that to happen;

Melbourne - Should improve with experience and natural growth
Sydney - Should slide or stay still with aging players and no immediate quality improvement
GWS - Should slide or stay still with loss of best 22 players and depth
Geelong - Should slide or stay still with aging players and no immediate quality improvement
North - Should improve with immediate quality brought in
Port Adelaide - Should slide with loss of players easily best 22 players
Essendon - Should improve with immediate quality brought in
Adelaide - Should improve with players returning from injury
Western Bulldogs - Should improve with natural growth and players returning from injury
Fremantle - Should improve with immediate quality brought in
Brisbane Lions - Should improve with immediate quality and natural growth, though Beams loss significant
St Kilda - Should stay still
Gold Coast - Should definitely slide
Carlton - Should improve slightly

Looking in depth at every list, the only clubs you could say have improved in quality enough to better our ladder position are Melbourne, and potentially Essendon. The Dogs, Adelaide and GWS are real wildcards considering their injuries last year and remaining quality still on their list, but it would be absolute worst case scenario for us to drop 5 spots on the ladder.

I used to laugh at the headf***ed crowd, thought it was a bit of fun, but other club commentators and supporters seem to be genuinely headf***ed about Hawthorn. We've gone from calls of AFL intervention in the Scully trade due to being a strong club and it making us stronger, to an overperforming club who will somehow slide down 11 spots on the ladder despite bringing in a highly rated youngster, a bargain former #1 pick and a 2x All-Australian who is 25 and injury free.

I don't know how any football commentator with a clue could predict us falling to 15th or 16th with the reigning MVP and Brownlow Medallist, 2 of the top 10 goal kickers in the league and easily the best coach in the modern era. Every club that finished below us on the ladder will have to get better for that to happen;

Sydney - Should slide or stay still with aging players and no immediate quality improvement
Geelong - Should slide or stay still with aging players and no immediate quality improvement
Port Adelaide - Should slide with loss of players easily best 22 players
Adelaide - Should improve with players returning from injury
Western Bulldogs - Should improve with natural growth and players returning from injury
Fremantle - Should improve with immediate quality brought in
Brisbane Lions - Should improve with immediate quality and natural growth, though Beams loss significant
St Kilda - Should stay still
Gold Coast - Should definitely slide
Carlton - Should improve slightly

Looking in depth at every list, the only clubs you could say have improved in quality enough to better our ladder position are Melbourne, and potentially Essendon. The Dogs, Adelaide and GWS are real wildcards considering their injuries last year and remaining quality still on their list, but it would be absolute worst case scenario for us to drop 5 spots on the ladder.

Richmond - could improve
WC - stay the same
Collingwood - stay the same or natural improvement with the addition of Beams
Hawthorn - Should improve stay the same

Could be an incredibly close season again. I have us in the mix with this group borrowing some of your predictions. Hate to say it but contested marking could be a big gripe again in 2019. However if the ball comes to ground (particularly in the forward half) we will be very dangerous. Need to make sure we do not deliver the ball in the air anywhere near the likes of Rance, Barrass, McGovern and co.

Richmond - could improve
WC - stay the same
Collingwood - stay the same or natural improvement with the addition of Beams
Hawthorn - Should improve stay the same

Could be an incredibly close season again. I have us in the mix with this group borrowing some of your predictions. Hate to say it but contested marking could be a big gripe again in 2019. However if the ball comes to ground (particularly in the forward half) we will be very dangerous. Need to make sure we do not deliver the ball in the air anywhere near the likes of Rance, Barrass, McGovern and co.
Get Nash to negate McGovern or Rance. Could it work?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-06/twice-as-nice-or-double-trouble-your-clubs-fixture-form

Thought i'd post this here as I see it the most relevant thread.
Hate these media nuffies who don't do their research (happens lots of times too many to mention individually).
Sorry it's a real bug bear of mine.

Highlighted from the above article on AFL.com.

Compounding issues for the Hawks is a poor recent record against both the Giants and the Eagles, having not recorded wins against the pair since 2014 and 2015 respectively.

We beat WCE both in 2016 & 2017!!
Get your facts straight you morons!
We all know you want us to slide down the ladder but: - what will be will be!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is such an intense and burning desire for the Hawks to slide down the ladder. Any other club who brought in Scully, Wingard and a promising youngster in Scrimshaw would be considered a prospect to shoot up the ladder, but for some reason substantive gains result in a Hawthorn decline when it comes to both the media and BigFooty punters.

There is such an intense and burning desire for the Hawks to slide down the ladder. Any other club who brought in Scully, Wingard and a promising youngster in Scrimshaw would be considered a prospect to shoot up the ladder, but for some reason substantive gains result in a Hawthorn decline when it comes to both the media and BigFooty punters.
I feed on their false hopes

I feed on their false hopes
It’s almost as fun as reminding Bomber fans that they only landed Shiel because we walked away from the chase.

threesixpio, you’re doing a power of work to help the head*ed pour out their emotions all over this site.

What a positive influence you are.

Having lived in the States for the past few years, I find it remarkable how similar we are to the Patriots.

Every year they predict our demise.

Every year we just keep infuriating them by proving them wrong.

Thankfully we can do it without large-scale cheating!

Must be so deflating to the rest of the comp

UniformHoarseAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back