NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
No, they're ready to sink the boot in and angry because they think they've found a righteous cause against a team they hate. This thread would be a lot slower if it was about GWS. And should that evidence be forthcoming in a more concrete manner, I'll join you. If you read the first several pages of this thread, you'll see a lot of attacks taking a news article at its word. I'm a hillbilly? You've just underlined your predisposition to judgment before facts via simplistic labelling...

In all honesty mate and I know you’re a good man with a level head, I don’t think it has a lot to do with the club itself.

In a tribal way I hate Hawthorn but my overwhelming attitude to them is respect: this isn’t a case of me going ‘haha sucked in to a club I don’t like.’

It just makes me sad for the players involved, their teammates who probably had some idea but kept quiet out of fear for their own job, and the supporters of the club who don’t in any way share the attitudes alleged to belong to the authority figures involved.

Would this happen in the NBA or EPL where clubs have owners? Footy clubs in this country think they're invincible and can play god.

Yeah or my like they need a Payday, I find if hard to believe any AFL club would force what has been alleged unless a player has asked for help.

They needed a pay day so they somehow manipulated an internal review to be conducted that just happened to involve themselves getting interviewed under aliases

Right.

I'm sorry to the Hawks supporters who have woken up to this news too, it'd be one hell of a kick in the guts to read about the disgusting, systematic discrimination toward indigenous players that has taken place at your club.
We don't need the sympathy - it's the people affected that do. If it makes our club (and the sport) a better place, then I'm glad the external review was conducted.

BTW - I know some people are going to not renew their membership and that's fine. I'm staying on board because change happens from the inside. I was part of the Hawks for Change group and it really shows that a grassroots campaign can have an impact on the way a club is run.

Just taking a step back.

Is this racism or just plain evil?

Did these coaches only have this view and conversation with indigenous players only or did they say the exact same thing to non-indigenous players.

If it was one rule for indigenous players and a different rule for others its racism......and plain evil.

The feeling is that young Indigenous players, especially from remote commmnities, have very little maturity and self control and need to be mentored to a far greater extent than young white players as it’s view indigenous kids will “go off the rails” far easier than white kids.

So people like Clarko decide they’ll be getting involved in their lives far more so than a young white player.

It’s pretty much the stolen generation in the 21st century. Whites believe they know how to raise indigenous kids better than their own parents or families.

We don't need the sympathy - it's the people affected that do. If it makes our club (and the sport) a better place, then I'm glad the external review was conducted.

BTW - I know some people are going to not renew their membership and that's fine. I'm staying on board because change happens from the inside. I was part of the Hawks for Change group and it really shows that a grassroots campaign can have an impact on the way a club is run.
Balanced response, appreciate it.

Would this happen in the NBA or EPL where clubs have owners? Footy clubs in this country think they're invincible and can play god.
Yes look at the Phoenix Suns or LA Clippers

If the coaches keep their jobs, it's the sort of thing that would make a potential draftee within their rights to say "I don't want to be drafted by such and such a club"

That in itself compromises the draft and the competition.

The AFL are the only ones with real power to stop that scenario by expunging these coaches from the system.

How does the report not have evidence???
It seems to have some pressing allegations. However, it's still second hand info. When it's out and confirmed, f###, I'll join in the chorus and sing it one and all right alongside the rest of the angry mob while holding the biggest torch, but until then I'm not running with the flock...

As someone who has a hatred for Hawthorn that burns bright I’m feeling for their supporters today. What an awful thing to uncover. Nobody deserves to be treated like that, it would be awful thinking that some of the young indigenous men that you cheered on the field were being subjected to that sort of colonialist nightmare off it.

Hope you can find a way to work through this and build something better. Clarkson and Fagan, and anyone else involved in this, must never be in charge of young men again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know people will say "he is a Swans fan so his opinion on a Hawthorn issue should be taken with a grain of salt" but I think removal of draft picks needs to be on the cards. Hawthorn needs to be made an example of so the AFL can show how seriously they take this issue and as a warning for no other club to ever do this again.

We gained no competitive advantage so I can't see how a football related punishment would befit the crime.

I'd hazard a guess that whatever punishment we'd cop would be hitting both finance and prestige. Sponsors might back out.

The feeling is that young Indigenous players, especially from remote commmnities, have very little maturity and self control and need to be mentored to a far greater extent than young white players as it’s view indigenous kids will “go off the rails” far easier than white kids.

So people like Clarko decide they’ll be getting involved in their lives far more so than a young white player.

It’s pretty much the stolen generation in the 21st century. Whites believe they know how to raise indigenous kids better than their own parents or families.

What I don't get if there was a player that was having issues off-field, why wasn't the player pushed in the welfare direction?

or the AFL website stream. Unless I missed it
Nope he hasn’t had the press conference on fox they said within the hour, I dare say he’s trying to get he’s ducks in a row before facing the media because this could be a blood bath of a press conference

Before everyone jumps the gun, has anyone sat back and wondered why it's taken so long for this information to come out?
I dunno man, how would you feel talking about the abortion you had because your partner broke up with you because their boss told them to?

Easy s**t to just casually mention, not like a deeply personal and complicated situation it might take a while to process.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back