AFLW Hawthorn vs Port Adelaide - Round 7 @ Frankston

Remove this Banner Ad

At what point do the AFLW optimists realise that this in infact, the same club as the fellas and now showing the same on field issues?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Everyone was all up and about early about this squad and coach. Turns out it is decidedly average just like the men's team
No Gemma Houghton - no offensive presence to rattle the oppo back line.

We missed Charlie not being around for 10 games but at least we had Marshall, Georgiades and Finlayson as alternatives. There are ZERO alternatives in the W team without Gemma.

Everything about that game was frustrating – far more disappointing than last week, I'd say, and clearly our worst performance for the year relative to the quality of the opposition.

The umpiring of (all rules, but particularly) holding the ball in AFLW is hideous.

Negatives:
– Without Houghton and de Melo, our only real focal point in attack is Phillips. Our fit KPFs in Halfpenny and Teakle are slow, not tall enough, and, unfortunately, probably just not AFLW standard.
– Related to the above, our forward structure is very ugly and there's a clear inability to find targets in the forward half of the ground.
– We lack explosiveness and pace all over the ground. Boag has excellent top-end speed and has been impressive in her two games so far, but our only other noticeably quick player is Hammond – who isn't up to the grade IMO.
– Ewings and Dowrick I expect to get there in time, but we don't have anyone capable of regularly racking up 20+ touches.
– We lack long kicks (especially in the forward line).
– Tonight particularly, we really struggled to take the ball cleanly in the air or on the ground. So many fumbles!

Positives:
– I thought Borg played her best game so far. She's becoming a really solid defender and seems less shaky with ball in hand than she did just a few weeks ago.
– Boag looks a really good prospect on the wing and potentially, in time, through the middle of the ground.
– Litonya Cockatoo-Motlap, although quiet in terms of disposal, defended well I thought. Had a great last quarter with some solid tackles.
– Doumanis probably lacks depth and penetration in her kicking, but is really accurate. Could become quite handy as a link-up half forward if she can find a bit more of the ball.

Edit: Despite this post being quite negative, I'm still really excited by this team and the developing players. It's easy to forget that it's year 1 and the squad's only been together for a few months. Onward and upwards!

They're more than barely competitive but suffering from the same unattractive issues. Low accuracy, low efficiency, bad movement and gifting turnovers.

You can deal with losing to better older more experienced units if you at least make something out of your opportunity, not squander them repetitively.

Up against another expansion team so they were in the match at least today but they’re going to continue to get spanked from the good teams. Lucky they got that win against Sydney as it looks like a one and done season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They're more than barely competitive but suffering from the same unattractive issues. Low accuracy, low efficiency, bad movement and gifting turnovers.

You can deal with losing to better older more experienced units if you at least make something out of your opportunity, not squander them repetitively.

Yep frustrating to watch. Gifting turnovers is a killer and honestly not that hard to fix. Hawthorn were bigger bodied and knew how to

block for team mates.

Disappointing loss. I just want to share some of my photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 60
We just have no avenues to goal. Nobody that can take a big grab and nobody that can sneak a goal at ground level. Our only goal in the last 2 games has come from a free kick 10 metres out.

In hindsight, Houghton was the player we could least afford to lose. We just don't have a replacement. Having De Melo miss 2 of the last 3 games has hurt as well because even though she's not a crash and bash type player she is at least one who can find a bit of space and looks dangerous around goals. Erin is good out on the lead but she gets her shots way too far out. Her and Mules are really midfielders playing as makeshift forwards and it shows.

Teakle should play this week. We need someone to take a mark in the goal square.

Ballard is one if our best.

Cockatoo - M - great first game.

We did everything we possibly could to lose that game. We were the better side, just couldn’t convert. Frustrating to watch but can’t help but think we’re learning the hard way and we’ll be twice as good next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst part of the game for me was Arnell at 3 QTR time saying 'we had to outwork Hawthorn '; the AFLW teams version of 'work hardery for longery'. A part from that, we just haven't got enough natural footballers. Some of the decisions by hand and foot is mind boggling.

What a frustrating piece of s**t of a game

We have no avenues to goal without Houghton. The only goal for the last two matches combined has come from an undeserved free kick. Its not just the forwards either, if opponents can stop Ewings and Dowrick getting it on the outside then the decent inside 50s dont come.

Umpiring deplorable both ways, didnt impact the result but just shocking all game.

First loss ive been genuinely pissed with.

I think we got too cute with the off field appointments. I do not think it is coincidence that three of the top four AFLW teams have male Coaches each with over 150 AFL games experience. To implement any game plan you need the means to do it and many of our girls simply do not have the basic skills. The endeavour is there and they know what they want to do but unfortunately they do not have the skills to execute. The feminists may not like this but the girls have to be coached to play like men, they have to learn not to take their eye off the ball, they have to be able to pick the ball up, they have to be able to kick it , they have to learn to run through a contest not run to it and stop etc. etc. Anyone who has ever coached school kids will know what I mean as what I am seeing with these girls is what I used to see back when I was coaching kids at school.

Things will get better as these girls get experience but there are some hard decisions to be made in the off season. This may not be popular but we need to say thanks to Lauren Arnell and appoint a Coach with more extensive playing experience. Maybe Hamish Hartlett is a chance? We also need to thank Erin Phillips for her support and suggest she call it a day. Maybe Erin moves to an off field role alongside the new Coach. It is obvious that we need to recruit a power forward to go with Gemma Houghton and we need more experience on just about every line.

As for the umpiring they are obviously umpiring to AFL instruction. In a game like yesterday's they use the holding the ball rule to break up the congestion. On the other hand they allow throws to go unpenalised because it moves the ball on quickly and it avoids congestion and a stoppage. I saw a game between North and Brisbane yesterday in which I reckon there were at least six one handed handballs in the opening five minutes. As the skill levels are so much lower than the men's game it is entirely probable that AFL has issued instruction to AFLW umpires to pay a free in order to avoid congestion and create a better TV spectacle. As a consequence the lower the standard the more suspect holding the ball decisions we will see.

The girls will get better with experience but the squad is in need of some remedial action to speed the process up a bit.

In the meantime we play things week to week and hope for a win next week.

Last edited:
We’ve now only scored one goal in two games, and with North Melbourne to come next week, we’ll be lucky to kick one against them.

As the saying goes - when things are glum, there's worse to come!

We're almost certainly set to finish 1-1-8 and 17th on the ladder. The challenge over the last few weeks is to keep up the effort levels and hopefully start finding a way to hit the scoreboard again.

As the saying goes - when things are glum, there's worse to come!

We're almost certainly set to finish 1-1-8 and 17th on the ladder. The challenge over the last few weeks is to keep up the effort levels and hopefully start finding a way to hit the scoreboard again.

Carlton, who we drew with, beat St Kilda by 5 goals so hopefully that can hold us in good stead for our clash against the Saints.

I think we got too cute with the off field appointments. I do not think it is coincidence that three of the top four AFLW teams have male Coaches with over 150 AFL games experience. To implement any game plan you need the means to do it and many of our girls simply do not have the basic skills. The endeavour is there and they know what they want to do but unfortunately they do not have the skills to execute. The feminists may not like this but the girls have to be coached to play like men, they have to learn not to take their eye off the ball, they have to be able to pick the ball up, they have to be able to kick it , they have to learn to run through a contest not run to it and stop etc. etc. Anyone who has ever coached school kids will know what I mean as what I am seeing with these girls is what I used to see back when I was coaching kids at school.

Things will get better as these girls get experience but there are some hard decisions to be made in the off season. This may not be popular but we need to say thanks to Lauren Arnell and appoint an experienced Coach. Maybe Hamish Hartlett is a chance? We also need to thank Erin Phillips for her support and suggest she call it a day. Maybe Erin moves to an off field role alongside the new Coach. It is obvious that we need to recruit a power forward to go with Gemma Houghton and we need more experience on just about every line.

As for the umpiring they are obviously umpiring to AFL instruction. In a game like yesterday's they use the holding the ball rule to break up the congestion. On the other hand they allow throws to go unpenalised because it moves the ball on quickly and it avoids congestion and a stoppage. I saw a game between North and Brisbane yesterday in which I reckon there were at least six one handed handballs in the opening five minutes. As the skill levels are so much lower than the men's game it is entirely probable that AFL has issued instruction to AFLW umpires to pay a free in order to avoid congestion and create a better TV spectacle. As a consequence the lower the standard the more suspect holding the ball decisions we will see.

The girls will get better with experience but the squad is in need of some remedial action to speed the process up a bit.

In the meantime we play things week to week and hope for a win next week.
Well said. If we really wanted a female coach then there are options out there who have experience in an elite environment. And the best example of that was last night where Goddard completely out-coached Arnell. It was embarrassing really. Goddard stuck an extra behind the ball at half-time and from that point onwards it was a procession. It took until the 4th quarter until Arnell equalised numbers and by that point it was too late. Robert Harvey recognised it early and was pushing for us to match up numbers - another example of what an experienced coach can add.

Even Peta Searle has had some experience in elite AFL programs (even if her run as St Kilda coach was pretty bad). Instead we got a training wheels coach who's only experience is a part time gig with the Lions Academy team.

It's pretty clear that David Koch is treating this whole exercise as a monument to his own ego. On radio earlier this week he said our women's team have 'over indexed indigenous girls' or something to that effect. What the hell does that even mean? And then was talking about how Arnell will be involved in the men's program. Either he is bullshitting or that is very scary.

The best way to run a women's program is to make it a winning program. Make it respected. Not making it some sort of experiment. We exist to win premierships.

Well said. If we really wanted a female coach then there are options out there who have experience in an elite environment. And the best example of that was last night where Goddard completely out-coached Arnell. It was embarrassing really. Goddard stuck an extra behind the ball at half-time and from that point onwards it was a procession. It took until the 4th quarter until Arnell equalised numbers and by that point it was too late. Robert Harvey recognised it early and was pushing for us to match up numbers - another example of what an experienced coach can add.

Even Peta Searle has had some experience in elite AFL programs (even if her run as St Kilda coach was pretty bad). Instead we got a training wheels coach who's only experience is a part time gig with the Lions Academy team.

It's pretty clear that David Koch is treating this whole exercise as a monument to his own ego. On radio earlier this week he said our women's team have 'over indexed indigenous girls' or something to that effect. What the hell does that even mean? And then was talking about how Arnell will be involved in the men's program. Either he is bullshitting or that is very scary.

The best way to run a women's program is to make it a winning program. Make it respected. Not making it some sort of experiment. We exist to win premierships.

Good response and I agree with the sentiments. That Koch rhetoric supports my belief that Koch and his cronies have used the AFLW team as a public relations exercise.

I've got no issue with where we're at. It's about what I expected.

Our benchmark is the other 3 expansion teams. We demolished Sydney and were on the wrong side of an arm wrestle against Hawthorn because we couldn't create good enough goal kicking opportunities. We measure up OK. Let's see how we go against Essendon in round 10.

I watched the last qtr of the earlier game and most of the Port game and unfortunately it has to be said the lack of basic skills in both games was often deplorable, and it was only the closeness of the scores that kept me even slightly interested.

My other main gripe is still the lack of depth by foot, kicking is as much about timing and follow through as it is about brute force, and seeing set shots from only 30-40 metres out that more often than not struggle to reach the goal square has plagued the AFLW since its inception.

The umpiring is definitely rubbish, but in the games I have seen if the scumps paid a free for every incorrect disposal after a tackle, ie the ball is just dropped straight to the ground, or is haphazardly thrown away with no attempt at a genuine handball there would be about 30 per qtr for them alone, and I suspect they may have been instructed to be very lenient on that particular aspect of the game.

On the plus side there is no doubting the players' enthusiasm, but in the longer term I will need more than that to keep me interested.

I've got no issue with where we're at. It's about what I expected.

Our benchmark is the other 3 expansion teams. We demolished Sydney and were on the wrong side of an arm wrestle against Hawthorn because we couldn't create good enough goal kicking opportunities. We measure up OK. Let's see how we go against Essendon in round 10.

Since when has Port Adelaide measured itself against the bottom of the competition? We should measure ourselves against the levels to which we aim to aspire. There are problems with the way we have set the team up and we will not rectify the on field issues until we get the off field stuff right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back