News Hawthorn's 2019 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

On paper looks like our double ups are pretty much the best you could hope for.

Yes and no. Brisbane we lost twice to last year, Norf beat us last year and always trouble us, plus we struggle against GWS.

No it wasn't. Hawthorn was originally scheduled to play the Bulldogs as a 'home game' at Marvel Stadium. Hawthorn complained vigorously to the AFL about the odd concept of playing a home game at the opponent's home track during a period where all clubs are trying to build memberships.

The fixture was meant to be released yesterday. Caroline Wilson reported this morning that Hawthorn was one of several clubs unhappy with the original fixture set to be released yesterday. The prospect of playing the Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium as a home game in round 2 was a significant reason for Hawthorn's initial disappointment with the fixture.

Thank god for that! Good on them for getting up the AFL, that would have been obscene! Thanks for filling me in there haha

Yes and no. Brisbane we lost twice to last year, Norf beat us last year and always trouble us, plus we struggle against GWS.

Gives us 3 matches against Brisbane this year! Hodgey can't leave us alone haha

It might be a relatively easy draw in relation to teams we play but commercially it ain't great. Of the 5 Friday night games we are the away team in 4 of them.
Mother's Day game at the G against GWS. Good luck getting a crowd to that.
Stack of 3.20 Sunday games to start the year and most of our Saturday afternoon games are either away or in Tassie.
No reward for finishing 4th last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pros:

13 games in Melbourne
4 games in Melbourne in a row between rounds 2-5 (including three at home at the MCG)
Round 6 sees us host a club still bedding in its new recruits at a venue we're traditionally strong

Cons:

No games at the MCG in the last month of the season
No double-ups against our 'traditional rivals' Essendon or Sydney
End the season with the long road-trip (given Hawthorn plays on a Sunday in round 22, the game against the Eagles would likely be a Saturday or a Sunday twilight game)
Home games at the MCG are against clubs against which the Hawks don't traditionally draw a big crowd (save for Easter Monday and against Collingwood on a Friday night)
Double ups are against clubs to whom Hawthorn lost games last season (North Melbourne, Brisbane, Eagles and the Giants) as well as a club that generally creates a fiercely fought game (Cats)

Clearly know GWS, Norf and Bris are our weaknesses now.

AFL sneaky campaigners
Yes, given 4 sides who lift for us and the premiers twice!

But otherwise I quite like the draw. Good start to the season is critical and we have a soft opening. No excuses

Our double up games are pretty bad. Would only of been worse if we copped Richmond twice instead of west coast. Got probably our hardest opponents from the bottom and middle of the ladder. Brisbane spanked us twice and north did a fair number on us. Even though we beat Geelong twice we almost lost both of them, and we haven’t beaten gws for a few years now from memory. Afl trying their hardest to * us again

I thought clubs would each be getting a 5 day break this year? I don’t see one, unless rd 23 over in Perth becomes a Friday night.

Yeah seems the AFL is focusing less on pitting us against teams that finished up the ladder and more against teams that trouble us/beat us last season. My initial thought was, for this reason, "tough draw"

Fine for the club by the looks of things, but shithouse for me.

I cant get to many games these days so when I do, I try to line up games that are against teams who my old mates support - Essendon, Sydney, Geelong and Carlton - and get some MCC guest passes and do it in style. We got Sydney once up there, Carlton once in Tas and Essendon once at Shitehad.

This year was awesome. Two MCG games against Ess and Geelong and 1 v Sydney. Guess I was a bit spoilt.

Actually looking back at it, its a pretty shitty draw for the Hawks in $$$ terms too...

4 of 7 at MCG first 7 rounds
6 Night Games (5 Friday 1 Saturday)

Dislike
7 Sunday games

Indifferent
4 blockbusters in a row from Rd 13-16 (tough section)
Tassie games ( I live in Hobart) - Like Wingard factor v port & i'll go see us smash carlton. Lions & Dockers meh.
Run home possibly tricky - North away, GWS away, GC home, WC away.
Our double up games no issue.

It’s like the AFL hand picked the clubs we lost to last season and gave us double ups against the them next year
Yes though the positive is that we should improve and despite losing to them this year, Brisbane and North should hold no fear for us if we're a legit side. They won't play finals. Geelong and Giants shouldn't improve either. Fixture ok from onfield perspective I think.

That Suns home game at Marvel can get ****ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back