Traded Hayden Crozier [traded to Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

You must have missed the bit where Hamling destroyed Buddy in the GF while Crozier was a fringe player in a bottom side.

not at all ....maybe you did not read my post properly.....even on that performance he has shown consistency throughout this year to be a top line defender. Remember he got into the side late last year on the back of injury to Adam Campbell. It was common knowledge he was considered second string to Adam until the last few weeks and his performace filling in for Adam was very good. That Adam wanted to stay and the doggies satifisfied they had their better man perhaps let them agree to that pick. All a bit relative to the situation.

not at all ....maybe you did not read my post properly.....even on that performance he has shown consistency throughout this year to be a top line defender. Remember he got into the side late last year on the back of injury to Adam Campbell. It was common knowledge he was considered second string to Adam until the last few weeks and his performace filling in for Adam was very good. That Adam wanted to stay and the doggies satifisfied they had their better man perhaps let them agree to that pick. All a bit relative to the situation.

Ok m8. You're too wise for me. Adam Campbell...:thumbsu:o_O

Both of those points are debatable

Hamling played very well on a number of excellent key forwards in each of our four finals and was critical to our flag success. He's no gun, but a very good defender. I think you know that.

Crozier has shown less but still enough that we will give you something with some value (but little). Something 45-60 is my guess. For all intents and purposes you gave us pick 35 for Hamling (those later swaps were practically meaningless except for some small points value)

Hamling played very well on a number of excellent key forwards in each of our four finals and was critical to our flag success. He's no gun, but a very good defender. I think you know that.

Crozier has shown less but still enough that we will give you something with some value (but little). Something 45-60 is my guess. For all intents and purposes you gave us pick 35 for Hamling (those later swaps were practically meaningless except for some small points value)

think maybe another factor is the contract package. May be that Hamling offered a bit more than WB were prepared to do and likewise that may apply to Hadyn. Would seem strange say being offered 250- 300K times 3 (dont know what he has been offered) by Freo and he os only worth Pic 45-60.

Hamling played well in your finals series but that was the extent of his valuable exposed form at the 2016 trade period. As for the Buddy matchup, Buddy had an injured shoulder and ankle and a midfield that were getting significantly beaten.

Crozier hasn't been fringe since 2015. he played 16 games in 2016 missing 3 at the start and 3 from injury. He played 11 of those games quite effectively as a rebounding defender. Many would believe that his best position could be rebounding defender but it's an area we had depth in.
He played 19 games as a high half forward in a bottom 5 team. Do forwards play better in better teams or do better teams have better forwards?

Also the value of draft picks last year was higher, as the draft pool was much stronger.

I'm not going to put a pick value on Crozier, I can't separate my bias from the situation but I will say pick 60 is worthless this year.

erm, the one poster saying he is worthless is a Freo supporter?

As a Freo supporter I reckon Crozier is a decent player when he gets time on the ground. Having Ballantyne injured early and Walters injured late in the season gave him the spot. He's a decent mark and just needs to sort out the tackling and pressure part.
Knowing our luck we'll trade him and he'll become the next Jess Sinclair...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go easy, you sound like the essendrug losers talking about Stringer. We're better than that

I wasn't being a dick at all. I was saying that we will give them something out of good will simply because we can (as they did for us with Hamling), which is better than you can say for most clubs.

Last edited:
You must have missed the bit where Hamling destroyed Buddy in the GF while Crozier was a fringe player in a bottom side.
very harsh calling crozier a fringe player in a bottom side. Very harsh indeed.

But comparing Hamlings and Croziers career is interesting....

Both Blokes were from the 2011 draft. Croz was pick 20 Hammer was pick 32.

By 2014... Crozier played 23 games in 3 years and had some value. Hamling was delisted by Geelong and played 0 games in 3 years. So basically Crozier was a fring player in a top 4 team, Hamling didn't play any games in his 1st 3 years. a that point, Crozier had more value than Hamling.

By 2016, crozier notched up 50 games as a fringe player but freo finished bottom 4. Hamling played 23 games In 2 years for the dogs but his value increased significantly after the 2016 finals series.

Freo traded a 3rd rounder for hamling as e was uncontracted. Had he been contracted, Hamling would of been an early 2nd rounder,late 1st rounder.

Had a good convo about Hamling on he freo board. yep It was an inspired trade. but trade values on players vary each year.

I wasn't being a dick at all. I was saying that we will give them something out of good will simply because we can (as they did for us with Hamling), which is better than you can say for most clubs.
Harsh but true. my opinion I crozier is worth a late 2nd rounder. Happy to get a 3rd or 4th rounder from you guys. We owe you for the hamling trade

I like Croz. Went out with a mate's au pair, until she moved through some of the rest of the team and then became a stripper. Nice girl, not a great role model for a 15yo daughter though. True story. Back to Croz, best played at half back, very good kick. Great aerialist but most of his flair has been quashed by Ross. Will be interesting to see him play with some freedom at the Bullies or elsewhere.

Last edited:
Crozier is a good footballer who needs to be playing in a more offensively orientated team.
His skill set not quite suited to Lyons game style.

I suspect he would / will ( if traded to them ) flourish at the Doggies.

Lots of potential there to work with and he would be a good get should he end up at the Doggies.

Crozier is on par with a Koby Stevens type (who was similarly uncontracted last year) and we traded him to St Kilda for an 11 pick upgrade in the 3rd round. Being out of contract, I'm not sure why there's an expectation that Crozier will command all that much more in a trade.

Crozier is on par with a Koby Stevens type (who was similarly uncontracted last year) and we traded him to St Kilda for an 11 pick upgrade in the 3rd round. Being out of contract, I'm not sure why there's an expectation that Crozier will command all that much more in a trade.
You mean the Koby Stevens that had played 12 games a year for the 2 years prior to him being traded? The Koby Stevens who was a fringe player at the dogs?
No amount of calling Crozier a fringe player or comparing him to other fringe players is going to change the fact that he hasn't been fringe since 2015.

McCartney said.
"We do have some interest in Hayden, he's been in the system six years but he's a young player, turns 24 at the end of the year and he's a player that was rated highly by our recruiting team back in the 2011 draft.
"He's got some attributes athletically that would really complement our group and once again he's a player that we've seen play some different roles."

Doesn't exactly sound like "We are looking to add a fringe player". If you're willing to table a 3 year deal worth more money that we are offering then he's probably worth more than a 11 pick upgrade in the 3rd round to you.

Lastly I'd like to note that you can't equate 2 draft picks from separate years. Last year's draft was deeper and so lower picks held more value.

You mean the Koby Stevens that had played 12 games a year for the 2 years prior to him being traded? The Koby Stevens who was a fringe player at the dogs?
No amount of calling Crozier a fringe player or comparing him to other fringe players is going to change the fact that he hasn't been fringe since 2015.

McCartney said.
"We do have some interest in Hayden, he's been in the system six years but he's a young player, turns 24 at the end of the year and he's a player that was rated highly by our recruiting team back in the 2011 draft.
"He's got some attributes athletically that would really complement our group and once again he's a player that we've seen play some different roles."

Doesn't exactly sound like "We are looking to add a fringe player". If you're willing to table a 3 year deal worth more money that we are offering then he's probably worth more than a 11 pick upgrade in the 3rd round to you.

Lastly I'd like to note that you can't equate 2 draft picks from separate years. Last year's draft was deeper and so lower picks held more value.
Stevens was only a fringe player during our premiership year in 2016 and was an established first 22 player at the Saints this year, playing at a similar level with a team that missed finals as Crozier did at Freo. The comparison with a Crozier type is apt, especially the part about being out of contract.

St Kilda talked up Stevens in the press last year and so did North with Hrovat, and both went for late pick upgrades only - JMac's comments above mean little in terms of trade value. What exactly do you expect Crozier will fetch? Clearly you think he's worth more than Stevens or Hrovat. So the same as Hamling, a premiership FB? Or an even higher pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back