Discussion How do we beat geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

41 out of 43 is history now.

Everything starts again - The Saints and Geelong are on equal footing.

The winner gets a week break before being in the thick of it again in a prelim final, the loser get a home elim final for the right to an prelim final.

True words, 41 out of 43 is history.

However, recent history is nearly always a strong indicator to imminent future events. Thus, we should be, and are, confident against any opponent.

And this history is especially relevant when explaining how Geelong deal with pressure. This weekend is not even close to the most pressure Geelong would have felt in a single game amongst those 43 games. 41 out of 43 says that they handled this pressure pretty well, wouldn't you say?

True words, 41 out of 43 is history.

However, recent history is nearly always a strong indicator to imminent future events. Thus, we should be, and are, confident against any opponent.

And this history is especially relevant when explaining how Geelong deal with pressure. This weekend is not even close to the most pressure Geelong would have felt in a single game amongst those 43 games. 41 out of 43 says that they handled this pressure pretty well, wouldn't you say?

Yep, they have handled it very, very well, and upwards of the best ever in a fairly even comp.

However for anybody to say that pressure for Geelong is reducing is absolutely denying themself clarity of though. Geelong's next string of games will be far more pressure than any of the past 43, for they have ultimate expectation. They may do it, probably will, but the pressure can only increase, especially after this week, when it becomes one more win in the streak or nothing. Would be horrible to waste that streak against a team with nothing to lose and everything to gain... or in other words, every other team left in the finals.

Mate, I can not wait, it is going to show us exactly how far behind we are and exactly what we will need to do.

Yep, they have handled it very, very well, and upwards of the best ever in a fairly even comp.

However for anybody to say that pressure for Geelong is reducing is absolutely denying themself clarity of though. Geelong's next string of games will be far more pressure than any of the past 43, for they have ultimate expectation. They may do it, probably will, but the pressure can only increase, especially after this week, when it becomes one more win in the streak or nothing. Would be horrible to waste that streak against a team with nothing to lose and everything to gain... or in other words, every other team left in the finals.

Mate, I can not wait, it is going to show us exactly how far behind we are and exactly what we will need to do.

This is a bit like arguing over Scarlett (of the Johannsen variety) or Jessica (of the Alba or Biel variety) - it all comes down to personal viewpoint.

However, there is no way that Geelong are under more pressure in this game than they were in any of the finals last year. Let's reflect:

Final #1 2007 - Non-elimination against Nth - Geelong in ridiculous form, against a Nth team with "nothing to lose" (sound familiar?). Add to the fact this was Geelong's first final since the 2005 SCG debalce (the game of which we do not speak) and Nth had beaten Geelong in their only 2007 encounter. All the talk was Geelong's inability to perform in big games and this would be their downfall. Pressure Gauge - 7/10

Final #2 2007 - Elimination final against Collingwood - On the back of an amazing season and the 1st week thumping of North, all the talk was of how it would be a disaster and potentially earth-shattering for the club if they failed to make the GF. If we had failed to reach the GF, it would have re-inforced in the most devastating way 44 years of failure in big moments. Pressure Gauge - 8.5/10

Final #3 - GF Against Port - On the back of a heart-stopping win over Collingwood (which we should have won by a far greater margin, but that is a story for another thread), the Cats were warm favourites going into the GF. Port tried to play mind games, and talked themselves up as both rank outsiders and a big chance in the game (slightly contradictory, but hey that is Mark Williams for you). The big factor again, was having 44 years of failure in the big moments, as well as losing 4 GF's in 7 years in the late 80's - mid 90's hanging over our heads like the Grim Reaper waiting to strike. Pressure Gauge - 10/10.

Compare to this week - we play a non-elimination final, against a team we have comfortably handled over the last couple of years. This game does not even compare pressure-wise to the games outlined above.

Why?

Because the 44 year monkey on our back has been lifted. Because we don't have to hear stories of our inability to win at the big moment, or see any footage of devastated Geelong players after losing GF's or Moons crying after the game of which we do not speak.

This is not meant to be a dig (I actually like the Saints and appreciate the struggles you guys as supporters go through), but you will know as well as anyone how heavy the burden of past failures can weigh on a club. Getting rid of this history, IMHO has given us the ability to play this year with a degree of freedom that we never could last year, and means that we will never again play under the immense pressure we faced last year.

Best result possible: We win
Next best: Push them, stay with them right to the siren, don't let them get off the leash. Let them know we want this just as bad.
Worst result: Get absolutley flogged ala NM in QF1 2007.

Absolutely vital we get our match ups right from the get-go.

Best result possible: We win
Next best: Push them, stay with them right to the siren, don't let them get off the leash. Let them know we want this just as bad.
Worst result: Get absolutley flogged ala NM in QF1 2007.

Absolutely vital we get our match ups right from the get-go.

lets not trim around the edges here, i will ask you a direct straight forward question

hypothetically if both Geelong and St. Kilda play at their 100% best, what do you think the results would be?

If Luke Ball ( and Maybe X) come into the team our midfield will be competative.
Our Defense is good though it remains to see if the loss of Dempster will cause a serious impact.

Our forward line will be our deciding point. Not just kicking of goals, ( dismal accuracy against Bombers ) but also controlling the rebound. Milne, Kosi and Nick , are not particularly good at applying pressure to their defence. They need to be backed up by someone , maybe Jones or X, otherwise everytime Kosi or Nick miss a mark Scarlett and Co will just send it down the other end for the next goal.

Scarlett wont be running amok like he did last time on a slow crippled Gehrig who couldn't apply pressure. This time he will have to play on an opponent. Kosi, Gwilt, Roo with in form Milne and Schneider with CJ outside the arc should bottle it up a lot better, than Gehrig chasing Scarlett halfway down the field.

lets not trim around the edges here, i will ask you a direct straight forward question

hypothetically if both Geelong and St. Kilda play at their 100% best, what do you think the results would be?

NIL all draw, both defences are hard to score against.

so you think at your best you are just as good at Geelong at their best?

you are a good side and i have much respect for your team, but don't you think that is getting a bit ahead of yourself saying your as good a side as Geelong?

No one has seen the current St Kilda side at their best. I hope we do on Sunday. :D

Geelong of course but by not as much as most think.
We haven't exactly set the world on fire this season. But I'm confident that if (and it's a huge if) every single player that runs out in our jumper plays at their best we could go close. But as SS said we haven't seen st kilda at 100% yet and that remains to be seen if we ever will.
Why do you ask that?

No one has seen the current St Kilda side at their best. I hope we do on Sunday. :D

So based on the talent of both lists and how they have performed over the year, you believe St. Kilda is just as good a team as Geelong? i dont mean to make you seem like an idiot pointing out how rediculous you sound but their is no other way of putting it.

I actually agree with that.

Get smashed, but as long as we dont let them know how we're gonna play it doesnt matter does it?

But then I wouldn't trust us to get to the Granny lol.

Win at all costs, make the Granny and then... I dunno. Win it?

Definitely win at all costs, have the week off to rest tired bodies and bring something different to surprise in the GF. We're not a one trick pony any more, we appear to have a little more strategy in the coaches box now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So based on the talent of both lists and how they have performed over the year, you believe St. Kilda is just as good a team as Geelong? i dont mean to make you seem like an idiot pointing out how rediculous you sound but their is no other way of putting it.

Are there really only 26 crazy people in Geelong? I must see every one of them every time I pass through. *Big Carl - you are obviously not one of the nutters*

The Cats are clearly the benchmark, particularly as their depth has not been fully tested through injury, but the question is whether the Saints are still building towards their best.

But when do you get two teams who play at 100% on the same day?

I said that no one has seen them play at their best. I should have spelt it out a bit more, but I forgot to allow for the fact that you are a Cat's supporter and a little bit slow.
I will try to write it using small words so you can understand.

St Kilda have a some players who have been good before.
So far this year they have not played good.
That is why the team have not performed good this year.
We hope that in the next few games they will be more good.
:thumbsu:

What makes you think you can come onto another board and call someone an idiot? Because the team you happen to barrack for which you have zero influence over is the best in the current competition? Run along now, I think I heard the school bell.

Whats the latest on Luke Ball...is he going to play, what was his injury exactly as i think he has missed 4 weeks now?

I rate Luke Ball twice as much as any other Saints midfielder (with the exception of Harvey, who by all means is right up there with legends of the game). If he plays, and plays uninhibited then maybe you guys are a show...without i can't exactly see the Raph, Xavier Clarke combination doing any damage (although i note that your board now thinks he has finally 'arrived' after the essendon game)

Go CATS!

BTW Bring back the G-Train in a suprise move!

The secret to beating geelong,get a dvd of the last game between collingwood vs geelong.
From outset of the game you guys have to play mauling football.
Constant pressure and very hard tacking but you have to be consistant for 4 quarters.Stop their run out of the backline.
If can can blanket harley and scarlett your half way there.
Good luck saints would be nice to see geelong cop it.
If you guys can beat geelong you will be closer to winning the flag,becuase you have proven you can beat Hawthorn.the hawks and the cats are the two teams to beat this year.

lol

No way you beat Geelong in offence. The best way to beat Geelong, is tight defensive pressure all over the ground, ask Collingwood. Dont you guys remember Pies beating Cats by 70 points. Best tackling game I have ever seen EVER! Dunno if you guys saw it but it was an unbelievable game by Collingwood. The never let the Cats breath for 2 secs. Geelong got the ball and then 3 collingwood players attacked him straight away. Geelong had no room to move, as it is obvious they love to play on and run. Pies took that out of the cats game with hard fast defensive tackling every where, and thats how were gonna beat Geelong.
Exactly - I remember in the game as soon as the Cats got hold of the ball in clearances they were tackled hard but fair.
Which is, IMO, another important point to remember with the Cats - that ya gotta play 'em hard but keep it fair. If they think that their players are being targetted with tagging then I have noticed throughout the year it seems to spur the buggers to grit their teeth and play harder.

Whats the latest on Luke Ball...is he going to play, what was his injury exactly as i think he has missed 4 weeks now?

I rate Luke Ball twice as much as any other Saints midfielder (with the exception of Harvey, who by all means is right up there with legends of the game). If he plays, and plays uninhibited then maybe you guys are a show...without i can't exactly see the Raph, Xavier Clarke combination doing any damage (although i note that your board now thinks he has finally 'arrived' after the essendon game)

Go CATS!

BTW Bring back the G-Train in a suprise move!
Ball is 50-50. Would be great if he could come back but i doubt he'll get up for it. Tore his hamstring, nearly off the bone.
X is still in the reserves, has been there for about 5-6 weeks, doubt anyone will make way for him.
God, i hope the train dosen't come back for this one. Scarlett absolutey gave him a raping last time.

I heard Bally is not right (I don't really like the source - he's a complete _ucker of a Sydney supporter - but he's often right unfortunately).

Would like to see Rob Eddy go back into defence, and X come in. Happy for other teams to under-rate X's ability.

Geelong have been the best team over the last two years, no doubt about that.

New England was undefeated for the entire season until they lost the Superbowl against the Giants.

And regardless of whether Geelong wins and whether they are the best team, you are definitely on of their dumbest supporters ! I know a number of Geelong posters who dread people like you. The arrogance and lack of respect shown by yourself and similar bandwagon supporters will lead to this thread (and numerous others) being bumped once Geelong do lose a game (and trust me, you will lose another game - maybe sooner than you think). You, of course, won't care as you will not face the gloating by those you try to ridicule today...

Tool !

Geelong of course but by not as much as most think.
We haven't exactly set the world on fire this season. But I'm confident that if (and it's a huge if) every single player that runs out in our jumper plays at their best we could go close. But as SS said we haven't seen st kilda at 100% yet and that remains to be seen if we ever will.
Why do you ask that?

so let me get that one cleared up that i just highlighted, your saying that over the 22 rounds in the home and away season that St. Kilda never once tried? that they never were at their best any given single week? that they were just in cruise control the entire season? I could say this about any team too, the world doesnt work like this, a team or individuals best is judged by what they have performed over a consistent period of time, not what you throw into space with no proof of it, i could say Geelong has not played at their best yet, where is your proof we havent? things just dont work this way, the world works and judges on facts of performance.

Where you finish in the home and away season and the gap between the sides is usualy a rough indication of where a teams best is placed amongst the sides, and the gapp between Geelong and St. Kilda is immense.

I am not saying St.Kilda is a bad side, i believe they are a good team, just no where near as good a team as Geelong is, anyone who says otherwise is trying to give themselves false hope for the weekend, or has not been watching AFL football the past two years.

Geelong have been the best team over the last two years, no doubt about that.

New England was undefeated for the entire season until they lost the Superbowl against the Giants.

And regardless of whether Geelong wins and whether they are the best team, you are definitely on of their dumbest supporters ! I know a number of Geelong posters who dread people like you. The arrogance and lack of respect shown by yourself and similar bandwagon supporters will lead to this thread (and numerous others) being bumped once Geelong do lose a game (and trust me, you will lose another game - maybe sooner than you think). You, of course, won't care as you will not face the gloating by those you try to ridicule today...

Tool !

the only arrogance and stupidity shown here is St.Kilda supporters giving themselves a chance against Geelong and saying at their best they are just as good.

When the gapp between the two sides is as big as it is, we have every given right to be confident, we are that far ahead of St.Kilda in every possible way, so my opinion is justified by facts, what is your logic and arrogance justified by? you say St.Kilda is in with a good chance when realisticaly the difference between the two sides is severely large.

arrogance at its peak when you go posting dribble like that up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back