Discussion How do we beat geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

*Sigh* A lot of these Geelong supporters have absolutely lost all sense of humility. I wonder if they realize how much embarrassment they will be subjected to IF (I admit the odds are against this happening but it is not totally impossible) the Cats actually fail to lift the Grand Final trophy at the end of this season. Total devastation for these guys I would say. Many would lose face... I hope they will have enough balls to offer their apologies to all those people they've been very boastful and arrogant towards these last few months or so.

I agree the Cats are currently a champion team. I believe however that it is the element of humility that makes any champion truly great --- respected and admired by all --- not despised. Just ask Robert Harvey. ;)

Does Robert Harvey frequent BigFooty? I think you're getting confused about the differences between the players and management of the club and its supporters. When has Geelong as a football club been arrogant toward any other club? Of course there are going to be arrogant supporters but no-one can help that.

Firstly, let's agree that every team has it's knob supporters - not all Geelong supporters believe we are invincible. I was unlucky to go to all our losing Grand Finals and then not secure a ticket to our break through win. I am still very cautious about any game.

Back on topic, I have seen nothing on here about Milne. I hate the little rat, but see him as the danger man of the match. Bring it to ground and he is a killer - in top form at the right time.

I have also noticed a lot of renewed love for kosi, a few weeks back he was already out the door. I do not think he will be your hero off his own boot, but can be a target that brings it to ground for your crumbers (Milne esp) to feed off. Having said that, Kosi could have a finals series for you like Brownless had for us in 1994. He was on his last legs, comes out plays some blinders. Wins the first final against the dogs with a kick after the siren.

Pressure is the key, if the mantra for Barassi was handball, handball, handball yours needs to be tackle, tackle, tackle. Looking forward to a great game.

To be honest, Milney only does well against s**t sides.

Be happy with 3 goals and 15 touches, anything more would be a pretty decent effort.

Kosi I still believe won't reach his potential at St Kilda, but hell, if we can have him firing he is very *ing valuable. Will hopefully have a game similar to last weeks. But again, that was against the Bombers...

We gotta master our defensive game, master our attacking game, use each when necessary, kick straight, and we'll have a good chance at winning. Oh and play 5 quarters.

Okay, I forgot to mention something before, directed specifically to our supporters.

Listen, do not fall into the trap the Cats want our players to. They want us to think about their fantastic rep and momentum and all that. They bask in their magnificence as minor premiers. Let them. Do what Rossco and the players are doing - essentially saying... nothing. If they're asked a direct question based on Bomber's "salvos", Ross has modeled what the players are to do, and that is say, "Who cares what they think. We have our game plan, our parameters. So, stuff 'em - we'll see them Sunday."

Ignore all posts from Cats from now on. All they consider "realistic proper discussion" from us is "ooh, wow, you guys are just the greatest team EVER, how could we even THINK we have a chance against YOU?!" Let them be jerks like that if they want. If they're really bad (and some of them are atrocious) Kildonian will delete them eventually. For now, let's have OUR conversation on OUR thread in OUR board about how OUR team can beat Geelong on Sunday.

Oh, and Cats supporters, don't bother quoting me and replying. I don't really care to listen to your petty bullying and lack of courtesy, so I won't be responding to you anyway.

i think if we get our 4 main fowards firing.... and playing a hard defensive game then we are a big chance.. we have to stop their flow of football.. go back to basics and what we are best at

fast free flow attack with a strong solid defence on the rebound we dont need 10 players running for goal from the back line as weve shown over the last 3 weeks..

our major problem has been slowing up at the end of each quarter.. thats where other teams get back in it

especially against geelong we need a solid fast attack at the ball going forward... but a slow freeze them out and make a contest type defence like we are starting to get into..

we have the talent the strength and the experience to do so but now we just need the effort from all 22 players out on game day

Okay, I forgot to mention something before, directed specifically to our supporters.

Listen, do not fall into the trap the Cats want our players to. They want us to think about their fantastic rep and momentum and all that. They bask in their magnificence as minor premiers. Let them. Do what Rossco and the players are doing - essentially saying... nothing. If they're asked a direct question based on Bomber's "salvos", Ross has modeled what the players are to do, and that is say, "Who cares what they think. We have our game plan, our parameters. So, stuff 'em - we'll see them Sunday."

Ignore all posts from Cats from now on. All they consider "realistic proper discussion" from us is "ooh, wow, you guys are just the greatest team EVER, how could we even THINK we have a chance against YOU?!" Let them be jerks like that if they want. If they're really bad (and some of them are atrocious) Kildonian will delete them eventually. For now, let's have OUR conversation on OUR thread in OUR board about how OUR team can beat Geelong on Sunday.

Oh, and Cats supporters, don't bother quoting me and replying. I don't really care to listen to your petty bullying and lack of courtesy, so I won't be responding to you anyway.

Actually I reckon some of them were very good, and suggested tactics the saints could try.
It is in fact only some of them who are annoying and repetative.
:) If they are so sure of victory, I reccomend they mortgage their homes and put all the money on the Cats for GF. Even with short odds they could make $80K or so.

This is just too precious, must be a Hawthorn troll surely.

Anyway Saints fans, good luck on Sunday. A lot of Geelong fans empathise with you and Doggies supporters - we have all shared the pain and frustration of no premierships for a LONG time.

If both teams play their best footy I'm confident Geelong will win, but that's what many of us love about the game - a side with momentum and form can often defeat a 'better' side a little off its game. Doubt it will happen on Sunday but your boys certainly have big hearts so they won't lay down like a couple of teams did in last year's finals.

May the best team win.

This is just too precious, must be a Hawthorn troll surely.

Anyway Saints fans, good luck on Sunday. A lot of Geelong fans empathise with you and Doggies supporters - we have all shared the pain and frustration of no premierships for a LONG time.

If both teams play their best footy I'm confident Geelong will win, but that's what many of us love about the game - a side with momentum and form can often defeat a 'better' side a little off its game. Doubt it will happen on Sunday but your boys certainly have big hearts so they won't lay down like a couple of teams did in last year's finals.

May the best team win.
Don't worry we will mate. :thumbsu:

Might I remind you that the last time we lost to you, we were in terrible form, nothing like the 8-2 form we have now. We had Fraser playing in one of his last games, allowing Scarlett to charge off the backline. And we only lost by 42. Might I also remind all of us that we beat you in the NAB comp, and while that doesn't count for much, I do remember that Kosi did very well that day. Further, our forward line pressure in the 42-point loss was terrible, bordering on non-existant (partly, as I said, because of a tired old Frase). Now we have several players, such as Gwilt, Raph Clarke, etc, who have been played in the backline for ages to develop pressure tactics, and have now been moved to the forward line to create defensive pressure from the opposition backline. Essendon had 21 chances to come out of defense from behinds-scored on Sunday, and couldn't break us - and YES, you're heaps better than the Bombers, but the point remains: we have a vastly improved defensive forward line.

Next, our midfield has increased its ability to tackle people like crazy - that is what lost you that 1 game this year. At the beginning of the year, the only tacklers we had were Ball and Lenny - now Jones is going nuts, as is Birss, McQualter, Gram, Beeg. Your magnificent ability to have 8 or 9 midfielders is offset by our ability to have people from our backline, such as Gram or Beeg, also play on the midfield very effectively.

Moving to our backline, we have two All Australian nominees there. We afford all due respect to your backline, which is also filled with AA nominees, but don't forget that Sam and Maxy are part of that bunch, and Beeg could well be in that group as well, if not for having spent the first half of the year regaining form after a knee reconstuction.

Basically, you haven't played the current Saints team. Our forward, backline and midfield are all completely different. There are players you haven't played against, there are players who were inexperienced before but are now pretty darn good, there are players who weren't played in the positions that they have now made their own. Throw in that we have, technically, more finals experience in our side than yours do, and that we have the emotional pull of Harvey's last chance at flag, and that my friends, is how the Saints may well pull off an upset.

Have a nice day.

Might I remind you that the last time we played we didn't have one Brad Ottens playing for us, and instead had Trent West playing his 4th game in the ruck. You know the guy, he was the one X.Clarke ran into when he had no idea of what was going on around him. Our ruck division that day had a combined tally of 30 games experience. Add Ottens, who almost single-handedly got us into the grand final last year with his herculean efforts in the prelim, and that strengthens our side considerably. Not only does he help out in the ruck, but is good for a couple of goals a game resting in the forward line.

We also were not playing to our full capacity back in round 4. You only have to look at how we played against Fremantle in round 6, when we essentially won by the width of the goal post, and compare that to the thrashing we gave them 2 months ago. Ever since the Collingwood game, we have started to regain our 2007 form. Indeed, over the last 11 rounds, our percentage is over 200%, and in that time we have played the likes of Adelaide, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Sydney and North Melbourne. Hardly weak teams, but with the exception of Hawthorn, we beat the other four teams by at least 5 goals, and thumped the Crows (at AAMI) and the Dogs by more than 10.

I acknowledge that St.Kilda have improved since our last encounter in round 4, but then again, so have we.

Bring on Sunday! Should be a ripper! :thumbsu:

I mentioned this in another post, but one of the chinks in the cats armour is their ruck, Ottens is a peaheart and the other guy is green as grass so if you can smash them physically and get it clean to the onballers then then you will have them on the back foot, just look at what Freo and Sanerlands did to them at Subi earlier this year.

I mentioned this in another post, but one of the chinks in the cats armour is their ruck, Ottens is a peaheart and the other guy is green as grass so if you can smash them physically and get it clean to the onballers then then you will have them on the back foot, just look at what Freo and Sanerlands did to them at Subi earlier this year.

Ottens wasn't playing in that game, and Blake was being backed up by a first gamer in Mumford. Hardly a game to hang your hat on if you're looking for an example of how weak our ruck division is. Just look at how ineffective Sandilands and Warnock were in the return encounter when Ottens was playing.

As for Ottens being a peaheart, I didn't think peahearts would bother attempting to run down quicker opposition players like Pettigrew in the GF last year, and Brent Harvey a fortnight ago. How often do you see Ottens on the bottom of the pack after a ruck contest too? Hardly the actions of a peaheart.

Being a Carlton supporter though, you'd know all about pea hearts. You even drafted one with the number one pick a couple of seasons ago.

Squizzy - :D

geelong_crazy26 - please just go away!

I came on here thinking this was a realistic proper discussion, to my amazement, their has been excessive ammounts of drivell been posted about by St.Kilda supporters.

I will be back after sunday's game to quote all of the stupid obsurd posts you have been making here and have a big laugh directly at it and remind you how unintelligent and unknowledgable you all are for even saying it in the first place.

Untill then keep posting, just give me more evidence to quote and laugh at.

That is the pot calling the kettle black if ever I've seen it.

I look forward to Tom Harley being shown up as the pretender that he is.

Bottom line, your team has no one who can stop Riewoldt 1 on 1.

Debate that as you see fit.

That is the pot calling the kettle black if ever I've seen it.

I look forward to Tom Harley being shown up as the pretender that he is.

Bottom line, your team has no one who can stop Riewoldt 1 on 1.

Debate that as you see fit.

Scarlett could definetely stop Riewoldt in a 1v1 contest (meaning a mano-e-mano tussle with the ball coming in), Taylor a decent chance.

If you are talking about on the lead then there are few if any that could.

Riewoldt doesn't often beat his opponents 1v1 he beats them by simply outworking them, being constantly on the move and creating space for himself. If the ball was being bombed in on his head all day and not out in front or to his advantage we'll have eliminated his greatest weapon and our key defenders should account for him quite easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scarlett could definetely stop Riewoldt in a 1v1 contest (meaning a mano-e-mano tussle with the ball coming in), Taylor a decent chance.

Riewoldt doesn't often beat his opponents 1v1 he beats them by simply outworking them, being constantly on the move and creating space for himself. If the ball was being bombed in on his head all day and not out in front or to his advantage we'll have eliminated his greatest weapon and our key defenders should account for him quite easily.

You haven't been watching him the last 2 months my friend. His marking has been sublime.

You haven't been watching him the last 2 months my friend. His marking has been sublime.

His marking is sublime when he is getting a run at the ball and able to get up to it, in the air and on the move he is awesome.

By 1v1 I'm talking two blokes standing there, side by side, wrestling for position. In this case I'm more than confident Scarlett could take him.

geelong_crazy26 said:
I came on here thinking this was a realistic proper discussion, to my amazement, their has been excessive ammounts of drivell been posted about by St.Kilda supporters.

I will be back after sunday's game to quote all of the stupid obsurd posts you have been making here and have a big laugh directly at it and remind you how unintelligent and unknowledgable you all are for even saying it in the first place.

Untill then keep posting, just give me more evidence to quote and laugh at.

That's what you think but I can tell you for a fact that you won't.

Blackmail the umpires, arrange a 'Harding' kneecap on Ablett, Bartel, Ottens and Ling, put up a freeway blockage sunday morning on Geelong Highway, play a 30 man team and see if they will allow you to borrow Buddy Franklin for a day and then maybe you guys will be in with a show.

Show the Geelong players what a55hole arrogant, disrespectful supporters they have now got and they might be so embarrassed they will throw the game!!

For the same reason a dog licks his balls. Only an idiot would stand still and take a mark if they could run to clean space.
But Riewoldts standing marks are also very good, though he seems to miss them when his arms are being held against his body. Maybe he has to work on catching the ball in his mouth. Has taken some nice one handers lately.
Geelongs team is fantastic at the moment, but it is easy to look good in such a winning team and the supporters tend to then believe that every player is a superstar. I reckon Aaron Fiora would be a star if he was playing for the Cats. Scarlett is one of those that I would consider overrated.

For ANYONE to beat Geelong at the moment, they have to;

a) Tackle harder than they have ever tackled before.
b) Tackle every minute of every quarter.
c) Have all the luck going their way.
d) Catch Geelong on a bad day.

So if I was you guys, I would bother with taking on the BEST team I have ever seen (40/42 speaks for that)!

I would make sure you don't get injured, and focus on beating us the next week, because we're gunna give it to you.

As well as constant hard tackling at the stoppages, you'd also want to have your skills be spot on all day as Geelong will convert all turnovers into goals. That can crush a team's momentum watching the ball being whisked out of the forward line straight down the other end for a goal. You really need a massive amount of stamina to cover both areas.You'd need to conserve energy wherever possible.

For ANYONE to beat Geelong at the moment, they have to;

a) Tackle harder than they have ever tackled before.
b) Tackle every minute of every quarter.
c) Have all the luck going their way.
d) Catch Geelong on a bad day.

So if I was you guys, I would bother with taking on the BEST team I have ever seen (40/42 speaks for that)!

I would make sure you don't get injured, and focus on beating us the next week, because we're gunna give it to you.

Whatever flog. We'll have you covered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back