How long until the heat comes on Goodwin?

Remove this Banner Ad

You didn't think there was effort last night? The effort was there for 3.5 quarters, the execution needs work.

I did think there was a lot more effort, but if he thinks the fans would be happy with that game because there was a "better effort" , than he is that out of touch

I get your point and it probably true but that hasn't stopped lippy Melbourne fans on bigfooty digging their heels into other rebuilding clubs. I've copped nearly the most flack for my developing club from Melbourne fans. Why do you get that excuse but others don't ?
Do you base your opinions on what supporters of other clubs think about your club?

You play as you train. What happened over the preseason wouldn't happen at a team that genuinely wants to win the flag at all costs.
Can you elaborate on what happened over the pre-season? If this refers to that camp being cancelled then you'd be suggesting all teams don't want to 'genuinely wants to win the flag at all costs' ... considering no other club has been doing it either.

IMHO, Melbourne's issues are above the shoulders and not coaching. They have been so bad for so long and more importantly they have been happy with the 'close enough is good enough' mentality that this hurdle is now the last jump. Many teams, including mine have this ingrained in their DNA because of a lack of success for so long. It takes some good leadership and a club culture to change.

Belief in you can always win, no matter what and winning at all costs does not happen overnight.

IMHO, Melbourne's issues are above the shoulders and not coaching. They have been so bad for so long and more importantly they have been happy with the 'close enough is good enough' mentality that this hurdle is now the last jump. Many teams, including mine have this ingrained in their DNA because of a lack of success for so long. It takes some good leadership and a club culture to change.

Belief in you can always win, no matter what and winning at all costs does not happen overnight.

But a large part of that mindset comes from the coach.

Geelong didn't have the greatest culture when Thompson took over. Ayres had done a lot of bad in that club and it was a pretty terrible period. Thompson however installed a winning culture that still persists to this day. Same with Clarkson at Hawthorn, Roos at Sydney, etc etc. it's up to Goodwin to change that loser mentality and install leadership that can help him, and if none of the current leaders can he will need to find new ones.

I am dubious about Goodwin. He needs more time for sure, but the improvement Demons showed last year is just the general improvement one could expect from players getting more experience. Early days but they look as if they have stagnated. If they don't make finals this year questions should be asked

After watching the Rich V Melb game whilst in Auckland have to say Melb's game plan is not productive. The long kick down the line to Gawn is not sustainable...take the the game on down the corridor for a changeup. They were just too predictable and Richmond were onto it. We stopped watching at 3 qtr time as the writing was on the wall. Just to add bit of spice amazing how many times Melb pinged for holding the ball but Richmond were let off...ie ball up or play on. DM should have been pinged 3 or 4 times for incorrect disposal but got away with it. I guess if you are the umpires pet ( Downlow Medal) that is your lot.

The relationship between coaching staff and players has to be damaged .
The players in running to the AFLPA have openly challenged the authority of the coaching staff .
That is a recipe for disaster ...
I didn’t want to buy into it over the pre season as I felt a chance was in order, but the way the boys are playing and what Goodwin is saying and doing just isn’t smart. Something isn’t right.

This is pretty much spot on. Also throw in brayshaw and viney to that mix as well. They need players that not only have the aerobic capacity but awareness to read when a team mate wins the ball and spread quickly enough to provide the next option. that's the weakness in the list at the minute

Richmond were quicker to get back and help the defense but then when they won the ball ran forward harder and smarter than the melbourne players. That was the difference in the game.
Salem and Brayshaw should be outside. I don’t think Brayshaw needs to prove his toughness at the contest, perhaps they’re under instruction to flood a contest to win it, but with Oliver, Tyson, and Jones in the middle, you just have to stay out. Salem has pace and can kick it, and I’d like to see ANB doing a bit more of this.

It’s not so much we are a bad side, it’s just that we aren’t playing smart nor is our coach able to change things when required.

Had they got across the line versus the Cats and at least shown some metal yesterday, everything would be fine...
But we didn’t, hence the pressure. We faded out against Geelong and being 19 points down at 3/4 time against Richmond well and truly had the chance to get back into the game. Our inability to remain competitive for an entire game is killing our season, slowly but surely.

We let Brisbane claw back a 30-40 point lead, instead of putting the foot down and turning it into a 12-14 goal win. We kick 35 points in the first quarter against Hawthorn then only 13 for a further three quarters.

This is exactly the same as last year, fading out of games cost us in a winning and losing scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But a large part of that mindset comes from the coach.

Geelong didn't have the greatest culture when Thompson took over. Ayres had done a lot of bad in that club and it was a pretty terrible period. Thompson however installed a winning culture that still persists to this day. Same with Clarkson at Hawthorn, Roos at Sydney, etc etc. it's up to Goodwin to change that loser mentality and install leadership that can help him, and if none of the current leaders can he will need to find new ones.

I am dubious about Goodwin. He needs more time for sure, but the improvement Demons showed last year is just the general improvement one could expect from players getting more experience. Early days but they look as if they have stagnated. If they don't make finals this year questions should be asked
Finals is a must this year in my opinion. We have the talent and ability, if our coach can’t harness that then there’s something wrong.

Finals is a must this year in my opinion. We have the talent and ability, if our coach can’t harness that then there’s something wrong.
I agree. I cut us some slack last year even though we should have made it in the end. As I didn’t tip us pre season for finals. I thought 2018 was the year. We are not showing it yet. Supporters won’t keep copping this.

I agree. I cut us some slack last year even though we should have made it in the end. As I didn’t tip us pre season for finals. I thought 2018 was the year. We are not showing it yet. Supporters won’t keep copping this.
Supporters won’t cop Goodwin saying he thought we improved this week. An improvement is not losing by 8 goals. That’s the s**t that Neeld would peddle. I’ll be rooted supporting Melbourne emotionally and financially if that mentality is taken.

Regardless of his demeanor, Melbourne need to give Goodwin at least 3-5 years (or 7 like Dimma) to let him build the list the way he wants. Melbourne supporters can't expect a premiership team overnight. Judge him after that.

Hardwick had some very rough edges and was not a people person when he arrived at Richmond, but learnt to get better in that area.

Goodwin picked a pre-season approach that caused a mutiny. Not sure he can come back from that...

I’ve been a very patient and positive Dees fan for the past 10 years. I thought Goody had us moving in the right direction last year. But this year even in rounds 1-3 I didn’t think we looked particularly great and several players seem to have found poor form. The next 4 weeks will be bloody important and if we can’t win 3-4 games the pressure will pile on Goodwin.

How can someone so wrong, sound so confident.

Lewis was indeed an inside mid at Hawthorn, right up until he was traded. Much more often than Burgoyne and Langford too, with Sewell finishing up in 2014 after missing the finals.
Oh my. Did I exaggerate? On BigFooty??! Is it only three years since Lewis went near a contest???1!

If Melbourne brings the same intensity this week as they did Tuesday night, they will smack Essendon off the park. I can see them winning their next 4-5 games.

They have stars in Petracca and Hogan who should be able to carry.

They have an up and comer in Oliver who is already a top 20 inside mid of the comp.

They have a good platform from last year making the 8 if not for %%%.

No excuses.

They have stars in Petracca and Hogan who should be able to carry.

They have an up and comer in Oliver who is already a top 20 inside mid of the comp.

They have a good platform from last year making the 8 if not for %%%.

No excuses.
Correct. Hogan is playing like a latter-stage Nick Riewoldt this season, which is phenomenal. Oliver is well on the way towards being an elite inside-mid. Petracca not in great form right now, but if he keeps on doing the small things right then the big moments will come. Unfortunately, a few important defenders are bang out of form (Lever, Hibberd, Jetta, Hunt) and our role players are struggling to make an impact. That's where the key is.

Lose this week and they are in a hole, but the following 3 weeks should yield 3 wins (Carl,GC, StK) I think it is. I like their squad still and will still back them to make the 8

With Melbourne playing arguably the worst style of footy in the league the question needs to be asked how long can this last until there is serious questions on Goodwins capability? Seems very much Mark Neeld style play and lacking any structure or confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back