Opinion Hurn... is he the right guy for captain?

Is Hurn the right guy for captain?

• Yes, he is the best because he is a good guy and he has receding hair.

• No, let him back off the leash to be a beast like Brock Lesnar.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

cameron ling was the captain of geelong and was a premiership captain. Also 2012/13 Scott played on ball and won the B&F 2012.
Cameron Ling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scott Selwood. Also Ling took over the captaincy at the end of a decorated period for the cats. It was an easy gig. I got really scared of having Selwood as our captain, but like Hurn always very downplaying and negative. Maybe it's how we train our leaders.

What do people expect from a 29 yr old captain ,he's doing the best he can .
Shuey is 28 the role has probably passed him now ..
Sheed was known as dumb sheed and probably Yeo as well .

The Gov may be the next in line or Lycett the forgotten man ..

Duggan would be a good choice in a year or two ..

Shuey just turned 27 actually, Hurn is 30 in september

I'd be happy with Gov being captain. He's a natural born leader and actually can inspire his teammates.

Man i wish that scooter's ankle never got injured. He would probably ended up being our skipper. Up there with Beau waters for loving the club and wearing his heart on his sleeve and real barometer player. Geelong are already feeling the affects of him getting back to his best. Sure his skills weren't too sharpe but is a player that could shut out the oppositions best mid while laying more than half a dozen tackles and helping us in the clinches.

Geelong are also benefitting from not over estimating his ability and are playing him as a lockdown mid the role he thrives in. In 2012 we decided he had the potential to be a stand alone attacking mid...skill set does not allow.

Shuey just turned 27 actually, Hurn is 30 in september

I'd be happy with Gov being captain. He's a natural born leader and actually can inspire his teammates.

May be Hurn's last year as Capt and possibly Shuey fills in for a few years but I would just make Gov the Captain next year and let him grow into the role ..

Geelong are also benefitting from not over estimating his ability and are playing him as a lockdown mid the role he thrives in. In 2012 we decided he had the potential to be a stand alone attacking mid...skill set does not allow.

Except he did really well in 2012. 15 Brownlow votes, 11 goals, 21 Goal assists, 5 clearances per game, almost 600 disposals, B&F...

Geelong have the luxury of Dangerwood and no doubt their structures are geared toward those 2 having the pill when they have possession. If Scooter gets some miles into his legs and remains injury free there is no reason he can't play well offensively. Scooter has come in and played a role for the Cats. I'm sure they are all stoked with what he has produced so far this year.

Except he did really well in 2012. 15 Brownlow votes, 11 goals, 21 Goal assists, 5 clearances per game, almost 600 disposals, B&F...

Geelong have the luxury of Dangerwood and no doubt their structures are geared toward those 2 having the pill when they have possession. If Scooter gets some miles into his legs and remains injury free there is no reason he can't play well offensively. Scooter has come in and played a role for the Cats. I'm sure they are all stoked with what he has produced so far this year.

To me benefited from NN's tap work that year better then most. Thought his 2011 was his best personally with his defensive work and pressure while still being able to win his own ball.
Was still a workman like performance and his kicking from those clearances were still up an unders and still not a great decision to run plays through him personally I think. I thought his defensive work suffered as a result of the extra responsibility play maker wise.

Did and will continue to do his best when given a role and work into the game from there.

His tackles halved between 2011 & 2012 and more Scooter disposals not necessarily a great thing. Had just as many goals in 2011 and more shots on goal in total.

Cameron Ling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scott Selwood. Also Ling took over the captaincy at the end of a decorated period for the cats. It was an easy gig. I got really scared of having Selwood as our captain, but like Hurn always very downplaying and negative. Maybe it's how we train our leaders.
Scott Selwood did not come across as negative in my opinion - up until he got his ankle injury always thought he was a tough little bu**ar!! Hurn is too reserved to hold down the captaincy - need someone with fire in their belly.

May be Hurn's last year as Capt and possibly Shuey fills in for a few years but I would just make Gov the Captain next year and let him grow into the role ..
Not sure Gov is the answer either - does he have leadership qualities? Being a good footballer does not necessarily make you a good captain unless you possess leadership qualities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott Selwood did not come across as negative in my opinion - up until he got his ankle injury always thought he was a tough little bu**ar!! Hurn is too reserved to hold down the captaincy - need someone with fire in their belly.
Hmmm I always thought Scott was reserved too. Agreed on Hurn though too reserved. We need an outgoing arrogant skipper.

Don't get me wrong Hurn is an important player for us but he has not been the same player since becoming captain. Back in the day he could kick 60 meters off one step to the chest of a team mate or between the big sticks. He doesn't have the confidence he once had, miss the day when he wouldn't hesitate and he would just bomb it from outside 50 and it would just sail in for a goal... Maybe he is overwhelmed with the captain title? But I do feel Shuey would be a better captain for us, he would be more vocal on field. And Shuey gives it 100% every week, he really knows how to get the team going when he is up and going.

Don't get me wrong Hurn is an important player for us but he has not been the same player since becoming captain. Back in the day he could kick 60 meters off one step to the chest of a team mate or between the big sticks. He doesn't have the confidence he once had, miss the day when he wouldn't hesitate and he would just bomb it from outside 50 and it would just sail in for a goal... Maybe he is overwhelmed with the captain title? But I do feel Shuey would be a better captain for us, he would be more vocal on field. And Shuey gives it 100% every week, he really knows how to get the team going when he is up and going.

Has he lost the confidence or the ability to pull off those kicks? Haven't watched the replay but I'm sure there was a couple of times he got the ball near the 50m line and instead of having a shot was looking around nervously to offload a hand pass or short kick.

Has he lost the confidence or the ability to pull off those kicks? Haven't watched the replay but I'm sure there was a couple of times he got the ball near the 50m line and instead of having a shot was looking around nervously to offload a hand pass or short kick.
Yes he has lost both confidence and ability.... you watch any of his games before he was made captain, was a totally different player. Most would agree

Shuey turned 27 this month, perfect age to make someone captain IMO.

Shuey turned 27 this month, perfect age to make someone captain IMO.

images

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-06-22/jetta-having-an-influence-shuey
When conversation turned to potentially taking over as captain in the future, the 18th selection in the 2008 draft said he would be honoured to lead the club in the same vein as current skipper Shannon Hurn.

“I think eventually it would be something I’d enjoy doing,” Shuey said.

“I haven’t put a whole lot of thought into it because there are things that need to fall into place. Bunga (Hurn) is doing a fantastic job at the moment and has plenty of footy ahead of him, which is great for the club. His knowledge of the game and his ability to help young guys learn and develop is second to none.

“I’m happy to take a back seat to him for a couple of years, but who knows what the future holds. It’s something as a footballer, you would hang your hat on. It would be pretty special to say you captained a footy club.”
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-06-22/jetta-having-an-influence-shuey

Back