stokesy

Premiership Player
May 30, 2004
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I feel so damn sorry for these 3 blokes, Thornton, Livo and Teague. They give it there all and you can see on their faces and body language when the forward they are playing gets away or can't be stopped, they really show some emotion - especially Livo and Thornton who slam the ground.

90% of the time they can't even stop the forward, SOS wouldn't of been able too and they still slam the ground in disgust.

They are battling hard, I think Brett is going to be around for quite a while if he doesn't get injured. Livo has done some great things this year as well, showed more than he ever has and I dare say he will remain at Carlton for another couple of years at least.

All we need is taller backmen, with some form of muscle to help relieve the pressure Teague, Livo and Thornton have on their shoulders.

while thornton has come along nicely for the blues this year i really do wish he would work on improving his disposal..he turns the ball over way too many times ..lets hope ,given enough time , he improves in this area

I really think Thornton can play and will be around for many years. Teague is too slow but has heaps of courage. Hopefully can regain some confidence. Livo still has to prove himself. Too many times he gets caught out with the flight of the ball. Often has his back to the play and looks all at sea.

i think these 3 players are playing with a bunch of duds. Apart from other players like kouta, or walker, these 3 have tried hard all year. but its the duds like houlihan that dont run back into defence to get a fist on the ball, that makes life difficult for them.

I only feel sorry for Thornton. The others could be doing a lot more for the team, especially Teague (will be dropped this week).

I was impressed with the way Livvo has bulked up, he is beggining to really look up to the job of taking on the "gorilla" FF's of the comp.

His performance Sat night was most promising, he had the better of Bradshaw who in the past has really chopped us up.

Thank god we actually look like cashing in on the Hamill "deal", much like the Cats have after losing Colbert - some reasl similarities there in the way that both clubs looked absolute losers at the time it went through.

All three do try, BUT..they are too short and not hard enough. We need a good strong bodied tall back there...top priority in the next draft.
Also, the three are not very fast so suffer against the speedy goal sneaks...a role Eddie should be playing.

Thornton - gun, will be a leader in the future IMO. Feel sorry for him.

Livo - reckon that injury set him back abit, tries hard. hope he gets better.

Teague- as brave as he is, he has been exposed this year, for his pace and his inability to shut down his opponent, i know he gives away cms and kgs to his opponent every week but still think hes been exposed. Also agree with Funkalicious and think that soon he may have a spell in the magoos.

Teague is really struggling. His game on Saturday was terrible and too many times he gets caught behind and hasn't the leg speed to go with his opponent. Exactly the reason why Kangaroos chopped him in the first place.
T-Bird is serviceable without being physical and Livo is starting to show some promise at full-back. He needs to string 30-40 games together without being injured and this will give us a better indication of whether he will be a long term prospect or not.

In a nut-shell our backline is a disgrace. :mad:

Kooley said:
Teague is really struggling. His game on Saturday was terrible and too many times he gets caught behind and hasn't the leg speed to go with his opponent.:mad:

How come this leg speed stuff wasn't an issue last year when he won the B&F? I'll go out on a Limb and say the blokes injured, he still is trying just as hard but seems he is running in quicksand.

Sure his never been the fastest bloke around, but that slow. He is finding it hard to get into position and to run and jump. $50 says his done his groin or something in that region ;)

ECHUCABOY said:
How come this leg speed stuff wasn't an issue last year when he won the B&F? I'll go out on a Limb and say the blokes injured, he still is trying just as hard but seems he is running in quicksand.

Sure his never been the fastest bloke around, but that slow. He is finding it hard to get into position and to run and jump. $50 says his done his groin or something in that region ;)

His leg speed was an issue at the Kangaroos. What Teague does very well is play that floating player in the backline. A bit like Jason Cloke. His courage is underniable and he does read the play well if he is allowed to zone off. if he is forced to play on a player of similar height he will always be beaten for pace. Opposition clubs are a wake up to the way we used Teague last year and they make sure he is accountable. The writing was on the wall in the wizard cup when he had to play on R.Robertson.

ECHUCABOY said:

^^^ Totally agree with Kooley. He has been exposed. No more do opposition teams allow him to run free, they always make sure he has a this season, hence, why this 'leg speed stuff' is an issue this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teague's confidence is down because when Livo and Thornton were injuried he was forced to match up with KPP and generally bigger players. Obviously he got beaten many times, and now we can see he can't back himself as well as he did last year.

Teague is a much better player with Liuvo and Thornton down there. But I have been really impressed with Livo's game - he has bulked up and hasn't had too many goals kicked on him so far, unlike in the past. He was really grown as a player in my opinion.

But really - apart from a few players, we are the dumbest team in the AFL. We make poor decisions, we don't do as Pagan tells us to do and a heap of them never open their options up. That coupled with a lack of skill and confidence - a huge mess we probably won't get out of this year unless a few of our other senior players have a purple patch.

Stokesy, I agree. These three have tried their guts out each game and it must kill them week in week out to see the midfield miss targets time and time again, only to see teams actually sit back and wait for us to turn it over and then have loose men to man up on each and every quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back