Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gtrain your post was really interesting and informative. As someone who works with students who have been disengaged from school for various reasons, I can relate to what you are talking about.

Recently doctors and psychologists have discovered that a lot of ADHD symptoms are similar to Complex Trauma, or Complex PTSD. As a result, there is an emerging belief that, whilst ADHD remains a significant diagnosis for many children, a number of children previously diagnosed with ADHD actually are suffering from complex trauma. In those cases, medication won't resolve the issue.

A definition of complex trauma would include an emotional injury caused by cumulative events, usually involving immediate caregivers, and including physical, emotional, sexual abuse or neglect. If complex trauma begins when a child is in the first few years of life it can really affect their sense of self, relationships, cognitive and sensory processing, behaviour...

If you have a look at the National Child and Traumatic Stress Network, you may notice that a lot of the symptoms and resultant effects on a child's life are similar to ADHD.

Given the complicated nature of ADHD, it may well be that children can't explain their symptoms as they don't understand what they are, I didn't and I am an adult and was diagnosed as an adult, but the process was rigorous and involved many people over months (reviewing your entire life, school, school history, your birth, weeks of drug testing, comprehensive evaluation of your life) not just pop to the local GP. It explained a lot to me because I constantly questioned me and day/day life. I didn't know any different I thought everyone thought like me.

I spoke to 3 Dr's over 17 years, one said i was depressed, i knew i wasn't. 10 yrs later another Dr asked me why I was there, I didn't really know I just started talking about frustrations that I couldn't understand. She said do you think you have adhd, I said I have no idea, she told me I didn't, I was too stable/together to have ADHD and I just need to plan things better and make better choices. 7 years later my wife booked me into the Dr without me knowing, I was then referred on to a psychiatrist which started a review process, who you have to see every few months, then get an annual referral back to the psychiatrist. It is far from a straightforward process that is set and forget thing. I'm glad it is an extensive process, there is already a stigma that it is an excuse and people should just be better/try harder/be more normal/grow taller. The thing with ADHD is the misconception of it being just being the crazy loud kid, which is understandable as that is the squeaky wheel which is seen, however similar with other neurological disorders, you can't see a wonky brain :p

Great post The Gtrain

You now have me questioning myself as if I'd Googled symptoms :straining:

Haha thanks mate, There is lots of research online and certainly it has opened my eyes and given me a better understanding (an explanation, not an excuse) to so many questions in my life. It is very much a grieving process, reliving your history and thinking how things could have been different, then you get lost in research and go down totally unrelated rabbit holes like

Maybe i should research Yahtzee strategies at 2am in the morning or what other words can be made from Dice, dice, dice, dice, dice or what was Vanilla Ice's favourite board game, how many board games are there, actually I have a great idea for a board game, how do i start company, what other companies could I start, Maybe i should write a book and turn it into a movie where the opening scene is a guy dicing oranges and you hear a motorbike in the background which is the reference to cool as ice. Anyway Yahtzee strategies i mean grieving or what was Masten thinking with the cheeky look in the GF, perhaps he was riding the motorbike or what was the origin of his breakfast.

That is how my brain functions for the most part and is filled with stuff which means I have no idea where my keys/wallet/phone/socks/ thing i had in my hand two seconds ago and isn't now, so it will take me 30 mins to find it, whilst finding and doing other things I forgot to do before finding said thing in random place because other random thought got me to that place. Sometimes its fun because I learn a lot quickly but can easily consume hours, but for the majority of time it seriously messes with everyday 'normal" life because I'm not a pro Yahtzee player, movie director, dice manufacturer, vanilla ice historian, I'm just an everyday person with a house, kids, wife, job, loves watching the eagles who loves direct debt bill payments, i just have to remember to set up bill payment

It is definitely true that everyone can have behaviours that are like symptoms/traits of ADHD like being distracted or forgetful, sometimes. The fundamental difference is that ADHD is a neurological disorder, an ADHD brain is different to that of the 96% of people who are neurotypical and those sometimes moments are often isolated events.

I'm sure this still counts as biased/incompetent/inciteful media coverage right:$

Geelong Cats forward Tom Hawkins confirms he has tested positive for COVID-19 as pre-season gets underway | PerthNow

Not WC related but how is the spelling lol

56565656.PNG

Will be the same for us once Feb 5 hits.

We will at least get a solid pre-season in uninterrupted i guess lol.
WA teams are most vulnerable around mid to late March I think. If you look at other states, those that opened around start of Dec, started seeing lots of cases around Christmas and expect it to peak by late Jan.

If we see similar, we get lots of cases in early March and a peak sometime in April.

We could suddenly see our easy start become quite challenging due to lack of personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back