Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have Wayne carey so clearly take no stance on anything. He once told a woman to get a bigger pair of tweets.. Fresh off honking it
Ch7 are using him as a drawcard for that Monty show. Much like politics, people as a whole don't really care.

Worries me that due to the covid travel restrictions this year the TV networks have had all their 'experts' sitting in Melbourne (along with Adelaide Bruce). It will be tempting for the networks to continue this cost saver next year - and maybe just have one at-ground expert for each non-Vic state (like Hodge in Qld, Pavlich in WA).

(On that, I don't believe their commentary can be as knowledgable and informative compared to being at the ground. Any spectator knows the difference between watching on TV and being at the ground.)

With the commentators all based in Melbourne it means they are less familiar with the non-Victorians. Plus if they are not travelling out of Vic then their knowledge of the non-Victorian players and issues remains limited. The whole thing then just gets more and more inbred.

Worries me that due to the covid travel restrictions this year the TV networks have had all their 'experts' sitting in Melbourne (along with Adelaide Bruce). It will be tempting for the networks to continue this cost saver next year - and maybe just have one at-ground expert for each non-Vic state (like Hodge in Qld, Pavlich in WA).

(On that, I don't believe their commentary can be as knowledgable and informative compared to being at the ground. Any spectator knows the difference between watching on TV and being at the ground.)

With the commentators all based in Melbourne it means they are less familiar with the non-Victorians. Plus if they are not travelling out of Vic then their knowledge of the non-Victorian players and issues remains limited. The whole thing then just gets more and more inbred.
I haven't noticed the difference in commentary TBH.

The network's would be crazy not to do the same thing next year.
The savings would be huge.

There are so many sliding door moments. Kennedy HTB, Nelson running too far.

To single out the ARC is an easy out, and just an excuse for some folks to marinade in their bitterness that they love so much.
The nelson running too far did my head in. Seen many players run 20m before kicking it and somehow getting away with it.

Hell even fox footy pulled up the umpires on it last night, showing a dons player running about 25m before kicking it. Called on them to crack down on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahaha good to see after our big win, the AFL site have decided to talk about the saints in the "8 things we learned" article.

On the night of the game I posted about 8 tweets from Victorian media who were all full of praise for West Coast's win.

Interesting that it was the same reporter who wrote about Saints in "8 things we learned" also wrote the match report from Thursday night with a clear emphasis on West Coast's against the odds win.

Each story has two sides, and this one journalist wrote two pieces about the same match and had a take on both teams coming out of it.

That's just standard journalism.

It's strange to focus on the one thing that focuses on Saint Kilda and then to seemingly imply that the entire media narrative is about them.

Confirmation bias.

Last edited:
I usually don't get too caught up in the Vic bias thing, but FFS.
I know the Herald Sun is a Victorian paper but fcuk me.

WC decimated by injury, about 7 first starters out and lose our captain
and one of the best defenders in the league and get up and win.

Do we get a like in The tackle?
Of course we don't.

The Western Bulldogs get one for beating hawthorn and staying in the finals race :rolleyes:

I usually don't get too caught up in the Vic bias thing, but FFS.
I know the Herald Sun is a Victorian paper but fcuk me.

WC decimated by injury, about 7 first starters out and lose our captain
and one of the best defenders in the league and get up and win.

Do we get a like in The tackle?
Of course we don't.

The Western Bulldogs get one for beating hawthorn and staying in the finals race :rolleyes:

I know right.

Instead of us, they had a section on those Victorian flogs the dockers.

I know right.

The point is smarty pants, most people thought West Coasts win was one for the ages.
Even Dermie said it was herculean.
So one would've though it deserved some praise form this round.

And read it again champ, the like was for Blake Acres, not the Dockers.

The point is smarty pants, most people thought West Coasts win was one for the ages.
Even Dermie said it was herculean.
So one would've though it deserved some praise form this round.

And read it again champ, the like was for Blake Acres, not the Dockers.

It was an incredible win, and got a huge amount of praise at the time, from many many people in the AFL industry.

The reality is, is that game was Thursday night, we live in a 24 hour news cycle, and now it is Sunday evening.

That game doesn't even feel like part of current round really.

I know right.

Why do you even read this thread, you don’t agree but you argue with everyone who thinks that there is some bias. Maybe time to leave this thread alone. Can’t be good for your mental health

Why do you even read this thread, you don’t agree but you argue with everyone who thinks that there is some bias. Maybe time to leave this thread alone. Can’t be good for your mental health

I just respond to things that I come across, whether I agree with them or have a different point of view.

Your solution would make sense, and be a great idea if the delusions of persecution were contained only to this thread.

Unfortunately they're not.

The network's would be crazy not to do the same thing next year.
The savings would be huge.

Sure the savings might be huge but we deserve 'national' commentators especially when the game involves Vic and non-Vic teams. Having only non-travelling Vic commentators means they not only have less familiarity with the non-Vic players but also lack perspective on what non-Vic footy is all about. For example, what are the issues confronting the non-Vic clubs? Their 'feeder' clubs and leagues? Who are the other players are in the squads? What are the issues with travel? Or with the Burswood stadium? Or the facilities at Cockburn or MRPark. Etc etc etc.

A serious professional commentator should look at the competition from a national perspective. To do that they need knowledge of what's beyond Melbourne. That's difficult to do if you're only ever in a Melbourne studio. Plus it just encourages it to be told (and sold) as a Vic-biased comp. The commentators may not even realise they are doing it - it's just that Vic is what they know most about.

I simply don't believe that is acceptable for a supposedly national comp - especially not one that likes to see itself as being so important and so professional.

Methinks you're reading way too much into this.
The commentators are the same regardless if they travel interstate or not.

They only have to call the game as the see it.
The locals like Pav and Hodgey should have more insight into local issues but that's about it.

I doubt anyone would honestly know or care if they were calling from a box in Melbourne or live at the ground.

Apart from a few, most of them are terrible anyway.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/wa...lebrate-west-coasts-famous-win-ng-b881663646z

From expressing every fans fatique with the AFL’s review system after the third ARC referral of the half, to assessing the loss of four-time All-Australian Jeremy McGovern (hamstring), to finally letting it all out when the final siren went.

Anybody know what fatique is?

An amalgam of fatigue and critique; describing a feeling of melancholia attributed to pointing out the obvious multiple times to a person or organisation, only for it to be ignored.

;)

Methinks you're reading way too much into this.
The commentators are the same regardless if they travel interstate or not.

They only have to call the game as the see it.
The locals like Pav and Hodgey should have more insight into local issues but that's about it.

I doubt anyone would honestly know or care if they were calling from a box in Melbourne or live at the ground.

Apart from a few, most of them are terrible anyway.

The level of special comments is the problem, it’s hard to give as much insight into strategies that teams might be employing if you’re limited to describing what you see on the tv screen.

They have worked towards centralised production (not OB Vans) over the last few years. Commentary is only the next step I suspect. Hell they could use the AFL feeds and get it all wrong.
I used to like the canned noise but it is wearing thin now that there is obviously no spectators of note and it is often mis-cued. Things we will have to learn to live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back