Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

View attachment 955911
Doesn’t look any more blurry to me. You’re seeing what you want to see.
I don’t think the issue is that it was blurry. The issue is that the ball was touched between frames, however from that angle it did not show the touch before crossing the line. Because in the frames from the other direction it was clearly touched before crossing the line.
So by VAR rules, it was clearly touched. I have no problem with the umpires call, given how fine a line it is.
I do have an issue with the VAR call.

Cracked record! The discussion should not be about the back of the goal post - okay? It is the back of the goalpost padding.

https://www.afl.com.au/about-afl/history/rule-changes

Umpires empowered to recall an errant bounce at a stoppage and replace it with a throw-up.
Penalty for interchange rule violation became a free kick, plus a 50-metre penalty from wherever play is stopped.
A free kick paid against a player engaged in any form of misconduct.
The scoreline to be aligned with the back of the goalpost padding.
A player in possession of the ball, when the play is stopped for stretcher usage, to retain it when the game restarts.
If an umpire impedes a player when setting the mark for a shot at goal, play to be stopped and the mark to be re-set to avoid a disadvantage.
After the all-clear is given for a score and an infringement against the defending team occurs before play restarts, the free kick to be taken either where the infringement occurs or 50 metres from the kick-off line, whichever is to the advantage of that team.

Cracked record! The discussion should not be about the back of the goal post - okay? It is the back of the goalpost padding.

The scoreline to be aligned with the back of the goalpost padding.
Long time lurker, reluctantly signed-up for this post.

If the above is the case, then why are the AFL/ARC still making these calls based upon the ball being "fully past the goalpost" ?

You see it every time when they replay it. Scrolling the video back and forth to see if there is a gap between the blurry ball and the blurry goalpost...then calling it as they see it, or don't see it in our case...

Simple fix. Better resolution cameras trained on the goalpost, with a thin red vertical line where the back of the padding would be. If the ball is fully over the red line it's a goal, if it isn't then it's a point. It really isn't that difficult, is it?

rant/ Now you've done it...I'm out of me box...

Last edited:
Better resolution cameras
Common misconception. The resolution of these cameras is fine. Doesn't matter if it's a 1D style 20Mpx or the 12Mpx of a Gopro 8, a blurry bunch of pixels will still be a blurry bunch of pixels.

The framerate is not fine. I'd wager that like most action cams these days the goal line cameras are running at 60 or 120 fps. At 120fps the ball in flight can move ~10cm per frame, which is not what you want to judge things at the goal-line. Evern the Gopro 8's 240fps only halves that, so in order to get a clear and sharp image you want upwards of 1000fps. Unfortunately at that speed, commercially available cameras are currently too bulky for in-post / in-passing use in the AFL.

So yeah, framerate over resolution is the problem. Unless someone invents some form of tracking system that can deal with a non-spherical ball and the positioning of all players fingers.

Actually ARC could be done by a deep learning algorithm quite easily. The AFL would have plenty of data to train it, which is usually the tricky part. The weightings in the algorithm would be quite hard to get right but the principle of it would be quite similar to Hotdog, not Hotdog (for those of you who have watched Silicon Valley).

I’m not sure why we can’t get an artificial line/wall between posts generated for the ARC. I think this would help with whether it’s over the line or not. Because the cameras on the two posts often show a different result depending on what post it’s closer too.

Super Slow Mo or event a bit slower would help with whether it was touched or not, but I don’t think it helps with where it was touched in reference to the goal line.

I would post this in the insightful media thread but this one gets a lot more hits.

How do we feel about 18 minute quarters, 28 rounds, and another footy festival fixture?

Legit stunned that Jobe Watson is allowed anywhere near a commentary box. I look forward to flicking on Le Tour to hear Lance Armstrong's insight on the cycling.
Lance would be pretty good: "That guy is doping. So is that guy. That guy? Definitely."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would post this in the insightful media thread but this one gets a lot more hits.

How do we feel about 18 minute quarters, 28 rounds, and another footy festival fixture?

No.
No.
No.

Also, Tom Browne so most likely made up.

If anything, the season needs to be 34 matches but that would never happen (or mean the whole season off dumb 4 day breaks).

Keep 17 games, alternate H/A year on year.
Except Richmond of course are not allowed to come to WA.....apparently.

Cant remember who but they kept saying Waterman is a high draft pick and needs to step up ( was pre game).

I suppose 76 is a fairly high number so in that sense he was a high draft pick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back