If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sport?

Remove this Banner Ad

North or Collingwood. That’s if I make the decision to support another team. Much more likely that I’d quit watching altogether.

I honestly don't know. I would probably just watch for a few years until I feel an affinity with another team.

I can't get an interest in other sports so can't see myself stop watching the AFL, though it would be easier to watch without the "stand" rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably another sport. The longer you have supported the team the harder it would be to jump on to another team that has no affinity or connection to your first club. Whilst I “don’t mind” a few clubs, it’s a significant leap to start supporting one or them and feel that same passion as I do with my current club.

I’d still watch the game, but as a neutral
Yep. I'd be the same.
The thread says who would you go for, or follow something different. It's not like you would switch your passionate support of paying membership tickets and attending games most weeks from your folded club , to another. The Sydney relocation in the 80's did allow many of their fans to transfer their allegiance to Sydney. Unfortunately, Fitzroy to Brisbane in the 90's not so much.

I support lots of other clubs anyway, as I like footy.

Freo - my local Port side would be the obvious
Doggies - I've always had a soft spot for these guys since the darcy, romero, hawkins, libba and west
Swans - always wanted the club to succeed, especially in the tough days after relocation
Bears/ Lions - as above plus the great contests in the early 2000s against Port
Cats - who didn't love brownless, ablett and co?

I already follow other sports. AFL isn't what it used to be.
The AFL is not what the old VFL was when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. Different on a number of fronts. I know we look back with nostalgia at what the game was ........................ but it's still the best game in the world.
Another sport ?? - I don't watch or have any interest in any American sport or rugby or soccer in Melbourne. [ possibly poor form considering the success of Melbourne Storm]
A diet of cricket in Summer , footy in Winter[when I was young that was about it]and play a bit of individual sport - tennis and golf .
In team sport, outside the Australian cricket team or St,Kilda, I must admit limited to no interest.

Dogs or Tassie. Would become pretty passionate quite quickly too.

Already lived life as a Dogs supporter in 2016. My old man has been a long suffering fan his whole life and I was just as ecstatic on Grand Final day that year as I was through our 3peat. Probably more so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back