Inability to beat top 8 teams...

Remove this Banner Ad

swans4eva

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Although we are looking good against lower middle of the road teams, looking at the ladder, we haven't beaten a top 8 team this year. We haven't played Carlton or Collingwood but every other team we have lost to. I hate to say it, but when it comes down to finals... the way we're going, we won't be a threat.

Why do you think we have this inability... are other top 8 teams just a class above us? Or will the return of Bradshaw and others affect this?

We had the same problem last year as well.

Things we have been missing over the past 6 weeks

- We haven't managed to get Malceski, Mattner, Shaw and Kennelly all on field and all firing at the same time.
- We are missing our bookends in Bradshaw and Bolton
- Our forward 50 entries have been rather average at times this year
- The kick ins after a behind are still a big issue as we tend to get stuck in defence far to much not being able to move the ball forward

Another problem is our stop/start play. When the Swans are attacking using fast free flowing football (playing on at every available opportunity) we look dangerous but often i have seen the Swans slow the play down for no real reason and when we do that we aren't nearly as threatening.

Although we are looking good against lower middle of the road teams, looking at the ladder, we haven't beaten a top 8 team this year. We haven't played Carlton or Collingwood but every other team we have lost to. I hate to say it, but when it comes down to finals... the way we're going, we won't be a threat.

Why do you think we have this inability... are other top 8 teams just a class above us? Or will the return of Bradshaw and others affect this?

We're on the right track, a better team than the 2009 version. It would be nice to play some of the top teams when we've had closer to our best 22 on the park for a few games at a stretch ... that's what was so frustrating about our recent losing run.

I don't think we'll really be back near full strength until Seaby erjoins Mumford, as well as Pyke is doing. And get Craig Bolton back fit.

Get that sorted, and we'd be very competitve against the good teams even with the ongoing question mark over Bradshaw. He's the cherry on top.

But we're still building; this season has been very encouraging but it's not our year ... but from 2001, I think we're in as good a position as any team going into the Gold Coast-GWS era.

We beat Brisbane when they were in the top 4 and were robbed against St Scum and we didn't have Mumford against the Dogs and Freo and that hurt us. Put the thread away till round 22 and then look at it.

We had the same problem last year as well.

Things we have been missing over the past 6 weeks

- We haven't managed to get Malceski, Mattner, Shaw and Kennelly all on field and all firing at the same time.
- We are missing our bookends in Bradshaw and Bolton
- Our forward 50 entries have been rather average at times this year
- The kick ins after a behind are still a big issue as we tend to get stuck in defence far to much not being able to move the ball forward

Another problem is our stop/start play. When the Swans are attacking using fast free flowing football (playing on at every available opportunity) we look dangerous but often i have seen the Swans slow the play down for no real reason and when we do that we aren't nearly as threatening.

I think Mattner and Shaw on the field together is becoming more of a hindrance than a help ... I don't think we can continue to afford to have two such defensively unaccountable defensive position players in the same team.

Our kick-ins are better as long as neither Mattner nor Shaw takes them.

i still say we will finish 7th. I dont think we're top four in 2010, but by 2012 we will be a top 4 force once again IMO, though we will have lost Kirk and probably Bolton J by then, and Goodes, OKeefe, Kennelly, Bradshaw, Bolton, Shaw will be post prime.

Basically, the top teams are a class above where we are right now.

Our inability to beat top teams IMO pretty much comes down to foot skills under pressure. At the start of the year, when we were playing bad teams, it was noted that our kicking efficiency level was one of the best in the comp. I haven't looked at the stats lately, but I imagine it has regressed since to the middle of the pack. We are pretty clean by foot against ordinary teams (again, we looked good in this department last night) who don't have great defensive intensity, but when we come up against the best and don't have time to measure targets, we come unstuck. That is because we have only a few genuinely skillful players by foot in our team, which has been the case for a while (though we are improving). Related to this is that we don't move the ball on quickly when we take marks (generally), which is something the best teams do all the time because they have supreme confidence in their skills.

That, and our lack of key position depth, is why we are a middling team, despite the fact that there have been plenty of positives coming out of the season so far.

Basically, the top teams are a class above where we are right now.

Our inability to beat top teams IMO pretty much comes down to foot skills under pressure. At the start of the year, when we were playing bad teams, it was noted that our kicking efficiency level was one of the best in the comp. I haven't looked at the stats lately, but I imagine it has regressed since to the middle of the pack. We are pretty clean by foot against ordinary teams (again, we looked good in this department last night) who don't have great defensive intensity, but when we come up against the best and don't have time to measure targets, we come unstuck. That is because we have only a few genuinely skillful players by foot in our team, which has been the case for a while (though we are improving). Related to this is that we don't move the ball on quickly when we take marks (generally), which is something the best teams do all the time because they have supreme confidence in their skills.

That, and our lack of key position depth, is why we are a middling team, despite the fact that there have been plenty of positives coming out of the season so far.

All that is largely accurate but I manitain we are so far ahead of where we were last season ... look at the Tigers. They stuck solid with a whole bunch of kids who we've probably all had a yock at in the past 18 months or so, and they're still all over the shop, but when they click (like today), the same way Melbourne have clicked at times this season, it justifies the faith in the new breed.

We're well advanced on both those clubs, but we've done it while still developing these young blokes.

We just need to keep faith in the likes of White, Jetta, Rohan, Hannebery, Mumford has already stepped to the next level, and all those kids we've got coming up, Vez, Meredith, MOD, just keep pushing them into seniors and letting them grow.

It's why I get so annoyed at Swans fans wanting to demote White et al first dropped mark or goal-less game. I'd much rather play the young blokes and send a Mattner or Shaw or Bevan or Richards back for a coupla weeks in the twos.

....what really is our best 22?

B: Nick Smith, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Craig Bolton
HB: Rhyce Shaw, Heath Grundy, Tadhg Kennelly
C: Nick Malceski, Brett Kirk, Kieren Jack
HF: Ryan O'Keefe, Adam Goodes, Ben McGlynn
F: Daniel Hannebery, Daniel Bradshaw, Jesse White
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Jarrad McVeigh
I/C: Josh Kennedy, Craig Bird, Lewis Jetta, Mark Seaby

Emg: J. Moore, G. Rohan, M. Mattner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh it is a tough one. And i think Roosy will go back to Jetta soon.

I just love Rohan's attack at the ball and his tackling. His disposal is quite clean right now as well. And his pace is awesome. And he is dangerous forward. And he is able to go down back. And he has red hair. He is just awesome!

Yeh it is a tough one. And i think Roosy will go back to Jetta soon.

I just love Rohan's attack at the ball and his tackling. His disposal is quite clean right now as well. And his pace is awesome. And he is dangerous forward. And he is able to go down back. And he has red hair. He is just awesome!

I completely agree. While I don't have him in our absolute best 22 on paper I think we can expect he'll play nearly every game form here on in as you can always expect at least 2 or 3 of the best 22 to be injured and any given stage throughout the year.

Who would you have before Vesz if you don't think he is in our best 27 ballsfan?

Who would you have before Vesz if you don't think he is in our best 27 ballsfan?

All of those players I listed above (25) plus Richards and Bevan. Possibly even behind Pyke and Meredith as well which would mean he isn't in our best 29.

I hope Meredith gets into the team soon he is one of my fav players. Has he been going well after injury in the ressies?

I hope meredith gets in to the side too, one of my favs as well!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back