Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

Frawley embarrassed himself. Trying to make himself a media star. Gone very early on Hodge being left out of side. Not even a 1/4 of way through the season.
I was happy to hear the comments though. There's an element of Frawley being right, though maybe jumping the gun. Hodge has changed from being 50% player, 50% leader at Hawthorn, to maybe 30% player, 70% leader here. He is off his man more, and players are just running around him in defence too easily. Frawley makes a comment. We rebut it, and we have a quiet word with Hodgey that, of course we aren't dropping him, and can't after that comment without losing face, but that he has to make sure he isn't neglecting his playing duties for his on-field coaching details.

And hopefully in the meanwhile, we play a good game where commentators don't view everything good that happens as directly resulting from Hodgey's leadership... I swear, the number of times they mention him in commentary is just annoying. Yes, we get it, he's good and he moved here. Yes, we understand that no one good ever moves to Brisbane. Yes, we know that you don't have a clue about anything else Lions related. Just shut up and call the game.

Frawley embarrassed himself. Trying to make himself a media star. Gone very early on Hodge being left out of side. Not even a 1/4 of way through the season.
Swanny should of said to frawley , okay so who do we replace him with and then who do we replace every other defender that made the same mistakes.
As you say it was if he was trying to be the big star , it was on the verge of being disrespectful or arrogant.

I did find what Swanny said was very interesting .
He mentioned our endevour to press up field and then a turnover would happen.
This modern or current game style really punishes our turnovers.

Frawley's comments were complete garbage. As were Barrett's - although I'm not surprised by his, he's a vindictive little worm who was waiting for the opportune time to pile on.
It shows a complete lack of understanding behind the recruitment. Hodge was never picked up at his age to actually be our best player down there and if he was we'd be in a really dark place about now. He was picked up to help guide the developing backline and he's done that in spades. He's also more than held his own over the opening month and isn't even close to a liability. Some of his attacks on the ball and even his run and bounce in the dying moments last week were brilliant. On a team side - the fact we kept composed and held possession late in the Port game shows his influence. We also have a young captain who has had a horrible time off field over summer. The introduction of another leader in light of this has been a blessing.
Over the first 4 games we've absolutely butchered the ball. It's been truly horrendous. 13 of Richmond's 16 goals game from turnovers and they killed us in the previous 3 games too. The backline don't stand a chance with the ball flying back in like that and as someone that prides himself on his knowledge of the back 6, Frawley couldn't be further off the mark.
A complete lack of understanding as to why he was recruited, despite much talk as to why he was picked up.

Swanny should of said to frawley , okay so who do we replace him with and then who do we replace every other defender that made the same mistakes.
As you say it was if he was trying to be the big star , it was on the verge of being disrespectful or arrogant.

I did find what Swanny said was very interesting .
He mentioned our endevour to press up field and then a turnover would happen.
This modern or current game style really punishes our turnovers.

You actually raise a good point about the press up and cost of turnovers. Clarkson was the main instigator as far as I know with introducing zoning and then other clubs followed with different type of presses. The Magpies in 2010 introduced the forward press and teams couldn't get the ball out of defence. The Dogs in 2016 pressed so far up the ground teams couldn't get through. Last year teams started kicking over the Dogs Zone and exploiting them out the back, and they fell out of the top 8. Richmond won last year on Collingwood set up of 2010. Intense forward pressure. Causing turnovers and running hard both ways.

The problem for teams like ourselves Carlton - Suns even St Kilda is we are in era of zone football where you are trying to rebuild through a team made up mainly of kids and mistakes will made often and most mistakes result in a goal or an easy inside 50. The teams at the top like Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney are so experienced and so well set up they just live on the errors of the opposition. Imagine being a kid coming out of under 18s where you see ball - get ball to suddenly being told you have to play a high press etc etc.

To my way of thinking the zone/press is more of a factor than anything else as to why the same teams remain up the top and the bottom teams trying to rebuild are taking longer to move up the ladder.

If Hodge can help our players/coaches to improve and understand with the positing in a press/zone set up then he has already played his part.

Hey guys - just wondering if any lions fans caught the podcast with Sam Newman, Grant Thomas and Mike sheehan today? If you go in and listen - at the 24 minute mark, Sam Newman speaks about 3 lions players. I don’t want to write the details on here as it is very full on and distressing but please check it out..

Hey guys - just wondering if any lions fans caught the podcast with Sam Newman, Grant Thomas and Mike sheehan today? If you go in and listen - at the 24 minute mark, Sam Newman speaks about 3 lions players. I don’t want to write the details on here as it is very full on and distressing but please check it out..

Very full on. If true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The segment with Zorko at the Family Day on The Sunday Footy Show was cringeworthy at best.

Thought Cam Rayner on all three of his segments on Beats on Gameday, Future Stars and TSFS with Zorko was impressive. Speaks really well for a young lad.

I didn't think it cringeworthy, thought he did a good job....also noticed when asking the players about their mums, he went straight past JBerry. I was so worried he'd ask him something, but I shouldn't have been..

Must be tough for players who have lost a parent on special days like mothers day..

Agree about Rayner..very open and friendly.

On Afl.com.au is a Zorko interview - can't copy from my phone - selfishness is hurting the lions.

He says that players are not deliberately opting to be selfish but under pressure players are trying to it all themselves and to win/ score quickly they need to selfless football.

On Afl.com.au is a Zorko interview - can't copy from my phone - selfishness is hurting the lions.

He says that players are not deliberately opting to be selfish but under pressure players are trying to it all themselves and to win/ score quickly they need to selfless football.
Selfish? From Zorko, that's a bit rich!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back