Is Dean Rioli overweight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Longy413 said:
He has, he's lost weight since last season.

Did you see Rioli get exposed for pace once on Tuesday? Because I saw him running away from blokes.

I don't know. He wasn't on long enough for me to notice. It wasnt the runner he ran away from was it? Seriously, he's in totally unacceptable shape for an elite footballer and talent will only get you so far at this level nowadays.

Anyway, personally I dont think he'll hang around too much longer.

itsintheblood said:
I don't know. He wasn't on long enough for me to notice. It wasnt the runner he ran away from was it?

You really are a pathetic troll.
Parrot may be a moron, but at least he's somewhat amusing. You bring nothing to the table.

itsintheblood said:
Seriously, he's in totally unacceptable shape for an elite footballer and talent will only get you so far at this level nowadays.

Just out of interest, do you know what his skinfolds are?
He's where he is meant to be, it's not ideal. If he continues to be able to train and play, he'll get fitter and into better shape. He made a positive impact on Tuesday and it was the first step forwards. How is that unacceptable?

Lack of work ethic or committment is not an issue here.

Bluechampion was spot on. If his knee holds up, he'll continue to improve.

Longy413 said:
He's been injured. He played on Saturday in the VFL, that was his first game in about 8 months.

He obviously has the body shape that means he has to train at 100% to be at peak fitness. Inactivity kills him, regardless of how well he maintains his diet (which isn't his problem at the moment). He has a chronic knee injury that limits his ability to train.

He's in better shape than he was last year, Tuesday was a positive step to him getting back to playing good footy.

I'm sure Essendon have very capable fitness staff but if the knee injury is the problem, can't they find another way for him to train so as to stop him piling on the kilos? Even if it means spending 3 hours a day on a stationery bike or swimming laps, just something to keep the metabolism up and burning calories.

Seems that injury is playing its part, but I often wonder how much effort he puts in as well. Then again, he could be the hardest worker at the club - purely speculation.

Longy413 said:
You really are a pathetic troll.
Parrot may be a moron, but at least he's somewhat amusing. You bring nothing to the table.

Just out of interest, do you know what his skinfolds are?
He's where he is meant to be, it's not ideal. If he continues to be able to train and play, he'll get fitter and into better shape. He made a positive impact on Tuesday and it was the first step forwards. How is that unacceptable?

Lack of work ethic or committment is not an issue here.

Bluechampion was spot on. If his knee holds up, he'll continue to improve.

Settle down champ. Just a little light hearted banter at rioli's expense. God knows you have VANDA who bakes richmond at every given opportunity so dont go calling me a pathetic troll. I saw rioli as a very overweight and unfit AFL footballer and am entitled to my opinion. He's not the only AFL player who has injuries but I dont see them stacking on the kilos like this man does.

What are his skinfolds then? Do tell.

manmountain said:
I'm sure Essendon have very capable fitness staff but if the knee injury is the problem, can't they find another way for him to train so as to stop him piling on the kilos? Even if it means spending 3 hours a day on a stationery bike or swimming laps, just something to keep the metabolism up and burning calories.

I think the knee injury did prevent bike riding for a while.
He was able to lose weight and prevent putting weight on over the pre-season, even with the knee injury. He's lighter now than last season. However, there is only so far you can go without running and playing games of footy.

manmountain said:
Seems that injury is playing its part, but I often wonder how much effort he puts in as well. Then again, he could be the hardest worker at the club - purely speculation.

I won't say he's the hardest worker at the club. Pretty hard to top Damien Peverill and James Hird. But hard work and committment isn't the issue at all.

Longy413 said:
. But hard work and committment isn't the issue at all.

Well he obvioulsy couldn't give a rats arse about what the dieticians are telling him. It's not hard to keep the weight off if you watch what you eat, particularly when you know you're hurt and cant train. It's even more important to limit what you consume.

itsintheblood said:
God knows you have VANDA who bakes richmond at every given opportunity so dont go calling me a pathetic troll.

I don't think much of his work either.

itsintheblood said:
I saw rioli as a very overweight and unfit AFL footballer and am entitled to my opinion.

He is and you are. But comments like "he wasn't on long enough to notice," and attempting to portray that the game has passed him by show a distinct lack of naivety.

itsintheblood said:
He's not the only AFL player who has injuries but I dont see them stacking on the kilos like this man does.

That's correct. But not all players have the same natural body shape.

itsintheblood said:
What are his skinfolds then? Do tell.

Be a little hard to suggest that his playing weight is unacceptable if you don't know the full story wouldn't it?

Longy413 said:
He has, he's lost weight since last season.

Did you see Rioli get exposed for pace once on Tuesday? Because I saw him running away from blokes.

He won't be going back to Tiwi when he retires. He's staying in Melbourne.
And secondly, that whole turtle meat thing is a joke, it's been over done. Leave it alone.

He went back home to Tiwi on got on the turtle once, when he broke up with his wife and she tried to take his daughter from him. Hasn't been back on it since.

I'm actually being serious there. Turtle meat is a part of the diet of the tiwi islanders and it's apparently very high in fat.

The point is, if he looks like that and he's been training (albeit limited) and watching his diet, what will happen to him when he retires if he gets a more sedentary lifestyle and slackens off?

itsintheblood said:
Well he obvioulsy couldn't give a rats arse about what the dieticians are telling him.

Incorrect.

itsintheblood said:
It's not hard to keep the weight off if you watch what you eat, particularly when you know you're hurt and cant train.

Again, he has lost weight and he has kept it off. But you can't dramatically reduce your weight if you can't train at a high intensity for an extended period of time because of injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stui magpie said:
I'm actually being serious there. Turtle meat is a part of the diet of the tiwi islanders and it's apparently very high in fat.

I'm aware of that, he doesn't eat it.

stui magpie said:
what will happen to him when he retires if he gets a more sedentary lifestyle and slackens off?

He isn't going back to the Islands.

Longy413 said:
Be a little hard to suggest that his playing weight is unacceptable if you don't know the full story wouldn't it?

You asked me a question I didnt know the answer to so Im asking you to enlighten me on his skinfolds. My guess would be they wouldnt be too flash at all. Not by AFL standards. No doubt the guy has the footy smarts and talent but I stand by my comment in that the game now is faster than ever and he simply will not survive in his current shape. I don't ever recall seeing him thin to be honest which is a shame because he has his uncles genes in him and boy could he play.

May it's me but I honestly dont think he's lost any weight at all and I was rather shocked when I first saw him on the screen.

itsintheblood said:
The TV lies now?

They do say the TV adds on ten pounds ;)

He's lost weight since last year. That's fact.
The fact remains, he works hard, he eats right, but he hasn't been able to dramatically reduce his weight over the past 12 months because he hasn't been able to train with intensity.

He didn't look slow on Tuesday, he didn't get exposed. He didn't look match fit, but no more so than Jason Johnson or Nathan Brown have in the past couple of weeks. He'll get better with every game he plays.

At one point in the game he ran away from the chasing oposition.

Big, fast, strong, proven, ultra skillful match winner, Must instantly be delisted as some see him as overweight.

A team of rioli's would be very hard to beat.... although
A team of rioli's would be very hard to eat too.

Couldnt help myself.

7zark7 said:
Why start stupid threads that state the obvious? Of course he is overweight.

Do you see me starting obvious threads like "David Neitz - is he overrated?"

Everybody knows the answer but we aren't stupid enough to start a thread.

"Will Melbourne ever win another flag?"

"Will Dees supporters fck off to the snow when their team is down in 06?"

Cheers Captain obvious

:D What he said.

And to think he owns a fitness business. Imagine having him lecture you about the need to lose weight!

Remember people.... it was his FIRST GAME BACK after a knee reconstruction. Geez.... give the guy a couple games to find his feet and get some fitness. He's never been THAT much lighter than he is now, but has always been able to play with some bulk on him.

Give the guy some games to get himself together. He will be tearing teams apart by midseason if he can string them together and keep injury free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back