Is Geelong-Richmond the new Geelong-Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

considering this whole thread is just Richmond supporters continually taking the bait of Geelong posters I think your statement is true but in the exact reverse
For some reason it's very very important to Geelong supporters that we want to be there rivals. Not sure why. Presumably some sort of projection.
I admire Geelong as and extraordinarily well managed club. But there's no rivalry there, apart from some Geelong supporters getting their nickers in a knot in 2017. Their response to Richmond's 2020 premiership was generally very magnanimous. I really don't see any rivalry apart from a bit of trolling on Big Footy.

My understanding is that Geelong’s overall finals record against Richmond stands at 2 wins- 10 losses. That is not recent, is it? did we beat you guys 10 times in a row the last 10 years?

It is a long standing trend, indicating that when the Tigers are real contenders can deal with Geelong quite easily. In the finals, on the biggest stage as Dimma said a couple of days ago.

So, you should stop spinning this “recently” argument, a lot of other Geelong supporters do as well. Because, when it comes to finals, it is pure bullshitry...

In the last 6 wins dating back 55 years you’ve won the flag each season you’ve beaten us.

Wouldn’t that suggest - wait for it - that you beat us because you’ve been the best side in those seasons rather than because the ball magically goes straighter based on the jersey pattern of the person kicking it?

Do you really think when Dustin Martin was pinging goals in the second half of the 2020 decider he was lining up his shots and thinking ‘well if I just picture Royce Hart drinking winners piss after the 69 grand final this should curl through’?

In the last 6 wins dating back 55 years you’ve won the flag each season you’ve beaten us.

Wouldn’t that suggest - wait for it - that you beat us because you’ve been the best side in those seasons rather than because the ball magically goes straighter based on the jersey pattern of the person kicking it?

Do you really think when Dustin Martin was pinging goals in the second half of the 2020 decider he was lining up his shots and thinking ‘well if I just picture Royce Hart drinking winners piss after the 69 grand final this should curl through’?
Mate, whatever, you didn’t refute the irrefutable. In fact, quite the opposite. You wrote: “in the last six wins dating back 55 years”. Exactly right.

This is what I am saying to you as well. Richmond’s finals dominance against your mob is historical-going back decades-not just recent.

We don’t examine the whys of the record here, we are stating the facts. Geelong posters should stop bullshiting about their “recent” finals record against Richmond for this simple reason: it is long standing, absolutely joyous and long may that continue...

Mate, whatever, you didn’t refute the irrefutable. In fact, quite the opposite. You wrote: “in the last six wins dating back 55 years”. Exactly right.

This is what I am saying to you as well. Richmond’s finals dominance against your mob is historical-going back decades-not just recent.

We don’t examine the whys of the record here, we are stating the facts. Geelong posters should stop bullshiting about their “recent” finals record against Richmond for this simple reason: it is long standing, absolutely joyous and long may that continue...

If it’s only an issue every 37 years I know who’s going to be the happier supporter base.

What can I tell you?

Tigers desperately want a rival, we aren't interested.
It’s only a rivalry if both sides actually compete for a ladder position or a premiership. The last couple have years have dimmed that bulb and Richmond are just not holding up their end of the bargain.

I love how Hardwick mentioned at our best and fairest how he doesn't have to remind anyone about our track record against Geelong in finals, and what I love even more is how much he's already stirred the pot amongst the Geelong faithful, even though that wasn't his intention at all.

Didn't these comments make the news somewhere, or did it just get the tigers board all excited?

What can I tell you?

Tigers desperately want a rival, we aren't interested.
Lol. For the time I have been watching footy, we have had a real rivalry with Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon. We haven't needed minnow teams like Geelong. Sure they have had success but minnow teams succeed too. Geelong showed what a minnow team they are when they had to put out a message to their supporters pleading with them to turn up to their final against Brisbane. You never see Richmond need to do that.

Lol. For the time I have been watching footy, we have had a real rivalry with Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon. We haven't needed minnow teams like Geelong. Sure they have had success but minnow teams succeed too. Geelong showed what a minnow team they are when they had to put out a message to their supporters pleading with them to turn up to their final against Brisbane. You never see Richmond need to do that.
You're trying a bit too hard now.

The funniest part of this is how you think we are offended by that word.

Oh dear, whatever will we do!!! Less people we’ve never met love the same thing we love!!! Oh dear!!!
My world is going to fall apart because more Australians watch married at first sight than watch Peep Show, oh dear how will I cope!!!

The funniest part of this is how you think we are offended by that word.

Oh dear, whatever will we do!!! Less people we’ve never met love the same thing we love!!! Oh dear!!!
My world is going to fall apart because more Australians watch married at first sight than watch Peep Show, oh dear how will I cope!!!
I know it's hard for supporters of minnow clubs not to be sensitive about the issue, but it is what it is. You can run off now and watch a peep show.

I know it's hard for supporters of minnow clubs not to be sensitive about the issue, but it is what it is. You can run off now and watch a peep show.

Just so I understand, what exactly is it you think I/we are sensitive about? You can call us a f***ing spermatozoa club for all I care - the fact that that’s something you take pride in is satisfaction enough for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Richmond would never need to put a pleading message to supporters asking to “save our skins”.

This. Richmond would never need to put a pleading message to supporters asking to “save our skins”.
What a stupid reply! Save our skins had nothing to do with crowds going to games. The club at the time had its administration make some unbelievable errors that saw it almost bankrupt it. The supporters got together and raised a million dollars to save it. We didn’t ask for handouts from the then VFL. We got rid of our debt ourselves. That’s what a great supporters group does. The club has never had to plead to people to go to it’s games let alone a final. That’s what minnow clubs do…..

What a stupid reply! Save our skins had nothing to do with crowds going to games. The club at the time had its administration make some unbelievable errors that saw it almost bankrupt it. The supporters got together and raised a million dollars to save it. We didn’t ask for handouts from the then VFL. We got rid of our debt ourselves. That’s what a great supporters group does. The club has never had to plead to people to go to it’s games let alone a final. That’s what minnow clubs do…..

Really…It had nothing to do with Richmond attendance halving in the early 90’s from what it was early 80’s?

And the handout comment 😂 . In terms of AFL handouts to Victorian clubs over the last decade it goes:
1. Saints
2. Bulldogs
3. North
4. Melbourne
5. Richmond

Geelong has received the second least behind Collingwood. That’s pretty damning for you guys, 3 flags and you still have your hand out like a “minnow club”.

Really…It had nothing to do with Richmond attendance halving in the early 90’s from what it was early 80’s?

And the handout comment 😂 . In terms of AFL handouts to Victorian clubs over the last decade it goes:
1. Saints
2. Bulldogs
3. North
4. Melbourne
5. Richmond

Geelong has received the second least behind Collingwood. That’s pretty damning for you guys, 3 flags and you still have your hand out like a “minnow club”.
Taxpayers are paying for your stadium. Quiet.

You’re like one of those people that calls a pr0n star a ****, as though you’ll somehow touch a nerve by saying it meanwhile they’re thinking ‘and?’

1. Saints
2. Bulldogs
3. North
4. Melbourne
5. Richmond

Yes. It had nothing to do with crowds dropping which happens to all teams when they are down the bottom of the ladder. It had to do with the bidding war in the eighties with Collingwood which nearly sent both clubs broke. Stop talking about something you clearly have NFI about. And yes, the tax payer has subsidised your minnow club big time.

Yes. It had nothing to do with crowds dropping which happens to all teams when they are down the bottom of the ladder. It had to do with the bidding war in the eighties with Collingwood which nearly sent both clubs broke. Stop talking about something you clearly have NFI about. And yes, the tax payer has subsidised your minnow club big time.

You went from having an attendance of 50,000 per game in 1980 to just 19,000 per game in 1987. But sure mate, all clubs drop like that when they have bad seasons, that didn't impact the bottom line one iota.

And yep, the state government have subsidised our ground. Nobody is disputing that.

Back on the subject.

The Hawthorn / Geelong rivalry was built around two long periods of sustained success at the same time. Richmond did outrageously well to win 3 in 4 years but has been relatively irrelevant outside those 4 years. It's not long enough to build a proper rivalry and any feeling that might be there today will inevitably peter out.

We're now seeing the Richmond greats in their twilight (Cotchin, Dusty, Riewoldt) but those were built in the last of the uncompromised drafts (prior to expansion). The talent they accumulated as cellar dwellers doesn't appear to have been replenished. Without the advantage of those early/priority picks, the Richmond system doesn't seem strong enough to have sustained success. Without it, there won't be a rivalry.

Back on the subject.

The Hawthorn / Geelong rivalry was built around two long periods of sustained success at the same time. Richmond did outrageously well to win 3 in 4 years but has been relatively irrelevant outside those 4 years. It's not long enough to build a proper rivalry and any feeling that might be there today will inevitably peter out.

We're now seeing the Richmond greats in their twilight (Cotchin, Dusty, Riewoldt) but those were built in the last of the uncompromised drafts (prior to expansion). The talent they accumulated as cellar dwellers doesn't appear to have been replenished. Without the advantage of those early/priority picks, the Richmond system doesn't seem strong enough to have sustained success. Without it, there won't be a rivalry.

2017 was 6 years ago. How much longer do you want? We will probably be competitive next year with Taranto & Hopper so it’ll be 7. Hawks were 8 seasons from 08-15. It’s about the same. Bolton and co are all entering their prime and Dusty will have two more years. It’s just Cotchin and Riewoldt leaving for now.

Also what priority picks do you mean? None were involved in the dynasty. Unlike the cats father-son rule.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back