Coach Is it time for Dimma to go?

Is it time for Dimma to go.

• Yes

Votes: 97 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 126 57.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ve answered your own question : ‘our most experienced players were abysmal’. The same players who delivered 3 x flags under Dimma. Why on earth would that be a coaching issue?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it's an overall club management issue. We're living in the past. We can't make the tough calls and, as a result, we seem to be slipping further and further behind the best clubs in the league. Moreover, rather than being patient and developing players, we're topping up with guys like Taranto and Hopper - a bit reminiscent of when we thought we were on the cusp of a premiership after playing finals in 2001.

My biggest issue with Dimma is his relationship with the AFL and he has adopted a " Me vs them" attitude, which you can NEVER ever win against the AFL.
What has that got to do with the way Richmond are playing ?
The AFL are not the players delivering the sh!t that Grimes , Martin , Cotchin , Vlastuin , Prestia &other experienced players have this year
I wont blame the kids as they are kids and need experienced leaders out there and at the moment they are avsolutely delivering RUBBISH

What has that got to do with the way Richmond are playing ?
The AFL are not the players delivering the sh!t that Grimes , Martin , Cotchin , Vlastuin , Prestia &other experienced players have this year
I wont blame the kids as they are kids and need experienced leaders out there and at the moment they are avsolutely delivering RUBBISH

Yeah our Senior players have been the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We literally did not have a ruck. Our best forward who is also our most important player. Broad, Tarrant, Gibbous are our three top pure 1 on 1 type defenders. Short is an AA level player. Then Graham to top that off.

Both teams were young. Both teams were injury ravaged. We lost..just leave at that. Seems dumb to act like we were a full strength peak side going against an injury hit young team.

Ralpsmith: 21
Maurice: 20 games played
Mansell: 19
Miller: 13
Cumberland: 11
Sonsie: 8
Clarke: 5
Ryan: 4
Young: 4

9 players 21 games or less. That could literally be half the players we have on the field at times with less than seasons worth of games.

To quote you, it seems "dumb" to respond to a post where I cited our experienced players as letting us down by giving me a long list of our inexperienced players

I'm watching a different team to you then.

Go and watch Richmond of 2017 and tell me the players are as engaged, have the some love and connection for each other and play for each other and the coach.

Everyone was invested, every player was all in for the team, to the gameplan and for each other.

It's visibly different now, and that's not surprising. We were the greatest "team" I've ever seen in terms of playing as one unit, regardless of talent. Now we look disconnected and disjointed as hell.

100% - we look like we're just taking the piss at the moment:

Cotchin - Only time I remember him touching it was when he missed a sitter
Taranto - Got it a few times but also missed a sitter
Hopper - Did he have any touches in the forward half?
Martin - Did he have any touches within 40 metres of goal?
Bolton - Give me strength, probably worst on ground!
Grimes - Embarrassing, looks slow and tired
Vlaustin - See Grimes
Pickett - One or two nice touches but nowhere near the required output
McIntosh - It's like there are two of him (one channelling Robert DiPierdomenico, the other channelling Ty Zantuck)
Balta - Close to best on ground (for the Swans!)
Prestia - Leader of the fumblefest

100% - we look like we're just taking the piss at the moment:

Cotchin - Only time I remember him touching it was when he missed a sitter
Taranto - Got it a few times but also missed a sitter
Hopper - Did he have any touches in the forward half?
Martin - Did he have any touches within 40 metres of goal?
Bolton - Give me strength, probably worst on ground!
Grimes - Embarrassing, looks slow and tired
Vlaustin - See Grimes
Pickett - One or two nice touches but nowhere near the required output
McIntosh - It's like there are two of him (one channelling Robert DiPierdomenico, the other channelling Ty Zantuck)
Balta - Close to best on ground (for the Swans!)
Prestia - Leader of the fumblefest

Harsh on a few there

To quote you, it seems "dumb" to respond to a post where I cited our experienced players as letting us down by giving me a long list of our inexperienced players
Its really not. AFL is a team game, its not like basketball where your most talented can just carry you single handily.

The experienced guys did make too many mistakes, but having this many inexperienced games on the team does hinder the older guys too. Why were so good? Because everyone was fully bought in and everyone knew their role. If we had someone new in, they were just 1 part of that and could be covered as they learn. We have 9 players under 21 games + Toranto and Hopper learning the gameplan. At some points we could have 11/18 on the ground now fully know what they should be doing. How can the other 7 play with confidence?

Say Grimes sees an opportunity to intercept but he has to leave his man. In the past he could go for that with full confidence a teammate will cover his opponent. Do you think he can do the same now? Would he leave his man and trust that Young or Miller will be switched on and know to cover his man?

When we get a turnover, in the past we would stream forward in waves. You knew if you got caught you would have a teammate right there to give it off. Whoever got the ball, you knew what they were thinking and you had full trust that they would make the right decision and execute far more often that not.
And now? Say one of the kids gets the ball after a turnover, how confident are you to take off offensively? If theres a good chance they turn it back over, now you dont run quite has hard, you're ready to turn and run back.

Thats the point. When half your team is inexperience then its hard for the older guys to even play at their best.

Probably a fair sentiment to go with the title of this thread is...

Is it time for RFC supporters to adjust their expectations?
I knew we would not play finals at the start of the year, I never had big expectations but seeing us play this year and our skills continually decline & poor efforts tells me there needs to be change.

He was never the smartest coach dimma,

You've been wrong about him for about 8 years now...I reckon there's a few others on here that are also secretly happy with the current situation so they can pot him again with imunity.
When we won it was because we had great assistant coaches...and now we sack the senior coach. fmd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've been wrong about him for about 8 years now...I reckon there's a few others on here that are also secretly happy with the current situation so they can pot him again with imunity.
When we won it was because we had great assistant coaches...and now we sack the senior coach. fmd
Funny thing is the proof is there. Some just can’t accept it

Its really not. AFL is a team game, its not like basketball where your most talented can just carry you single handily.

The experienced guys did make too many mistakes, but having this many inexperienced games on the team does hinder the older guys too. Why were so good? Because everyone was fully bought in and everyone knew their role. If we had someone new in, they were just 1 part of that and could be covered as they learn. We have 9 players under 21 games + Toranto and Hopper learning the gameplan. At some points we could have 11/18 on the ground now fully know what they should be doing. How can the other 7 play with confidence?

Say Grimes sees an opportunity to intercept but he has to leave his man. In the past he could go for that with full confidence a teammate will cover his opponent. Do you think he can do the same now? Would he leave his man and trust that Young or Miller will be switched on and know to cover his man?

When we get a turnover, in the past we would stream forward in waves. You knew if you got caught you would have a teammate right there to give it off. Whoever got the ball, you knew what they were thinking and you had full trust that they would make the right decision and execute far more often that not.
And now? Say one of the kids gets the ball after a turnover, how confident are you to take off offensively? If theres a good chance they turn it back over, now you dont run quite has hard, you're ready to turn and run back.

Thats the point. When half your team is inexperience then its hard for the older guys to even play at their best.
Well now we know what it's like to experience the highs and lows of the rebuilding phase...spesh with both suspensions and injuries ripping the heart out of the side...and new players learning to gell!

t since Dimma has taken on this new persona (after 2020), we have seen these issues become worse & worse. I know no-one likes to hear it either - but when your headcoach acts like this to the authoirty, has an affair on his wife & then talks openly about how he is smoking weed to treat his back pain and makes jokes about smoking bongs etc in the workplace - your overally company discipline and expectations towards authority tends to deteriorate. I think this team looks broken

Just utter garbage once again from Mr Vendetta.
During 2020 things changed in his personal life...and during the trauma of that, and COVID, and the Hub guess what, clown? We won the flag, probably the best of the the 3.
Smoking weed? Crap. Prescribed pills idiot. With the active ingredient removed.
Have an opinion pal, no problem. Just don't make up lies to help your story.

Mate - this is all very well in theory but how does it relate to last night's game? The experienced players were poor when kicking for goal (Cotchin and Taranto), were not competitive in one-on-one contests (Grimes v Papley), gifted goals to the opposition from rudimentary mistakes (Balta), booted it to the opposition (Bolton), or fumbled it time and again (Prestia). When you're fielding a dozen or more premiership players and apart from one (Riewoldt), you wouldn't name any in a list of "Best", it's cause for concern. Their heart just doesn't seem to be in it any more.

Last edited:
My biggest issue with Dimma is his relationship with the AFL and he has adopted a " Me vs them" attitude, which you can NEVER ever win against the AFL.

I love punk as much as the next guy and generally love a guy who has a "F-U, i wont do what you tell me" attitude- but its not what you want running a footy club. It wouldn't even be an issue for me if it wasn't for the fact that lack of respect for the officiating & that lack of discipline wasn't filtering into our onfield play.

I remember Richo being dropped for poor body language with a handball to Rodan in the goal square. What are we doing about the 22 50's Bolton gives up every single week? And Pickett? And the plethora of other examples of idiotic free kicks and 50's we are giving away? This has been going on for 3 years now - i actually don't even enjoy watching us play as everytime we do these idiotic frees/50's, we play in a way that i hate my teams to play.

I rate discipline in a gameplan & ethos overall, always.Discipline is always set from the top. Its no surprise that since Dimma has taken on this new persona (after 2020), we have seen these issues become worse & worse. I know no-one likes to hear it either - but when your headcoach acts like this to the authoirty, has an affair on his wife & then talks openly about how he is smoking weed to treat his back pain and makes jokes about smoking bongs etc in the workplace - your overally company discipline and expectations towards authority tends to deteriorate. I think this team looks broken

I agree with so much of this. In four plus decades of watching us, I can rarely remember being so underwhelmed by what I saw against Collingwood (lowest half-time score since 1997) or Swans (who were missing half their side). Our experienced players have been complete and utter dog s**t and a few of those you mention, such as Pickett and Bolton, have been among the worst offenders.

Last edited:
I agree with so much of this. In four plus decades of watching us, I can rarely remember being so underwhelmed by what I saw against Collingwood (lowest half-time score since 1997) or Swans (who were missing half their side). Our experienced players have been complete and utter dog s**t and a few of those you mention, such as Pickett and Bolton, have been among the worst offenders.
REally ?

So all them 100 point thrashings didnt make you feel bad ?
What about when Dunstal Ablett Carey Dermie were kicking 14,15,16,17 goals against Richmond

Christ you guys post so much S H ! T

If you want to see us fall off the proverbial cliff then wait when Dimma leaves.

Silly to make these judgements.

Lots of successful coaches of the past rode the bumps and got up again for more flags.

We are cruelled by injury this year.

The new rules killed us but I know we will get around it.

Chris Scott,Whateley,Hocking and the AFL.

#neverforget

REally ?

So all them 100 point thrashings didnt make you feel bad ?
What about when Dunstal Ablett Carey Dermie were kicking 14,15,16,17 goals against Richmond

Christ you guys post so much S H ! T

How many of those 100-point thrashings that you speak of involved a Richmond team that was fielding a dozen or more premiership players?

Mate - this is all very well in theory but how does it relate to last night's game? The experienced players were poor when kicking for goal (Cotchin and Taranto), were not competitive in one-on-one contests (Grimes v Papley), gifted goals to the opposition from rudimentary mistakes (Balta), booted it to the opposition (Bolton), or fumbled it time and again (Prestia). When you're fielding a dozen or more premiership players and apart from one (Riewoldt), you wouldn't name any in a list of "Best", it's cause for concern. Their heart just doesn't seem to be in it any more.
I literally said they made too many mistakes. But players always make mistakes. Always. Even at our peak.

Poor kicking for goal? That's not anything new. Wasn't Lynch missing them from 10m out in our flag year?

Fumbles? Go watch the 2017 GF highlights and watch Grimes fumble the ball which let Betts run into an open goal for their 2nd of the game.

These always happened, not the degree of last night obviously, but they do even when we win. Your acting like because they're experienced they can't make mistakes and can't have poor games. That's just silly.

And back to my point, with half the team with almost no experience it does also effect the older players decision making. You second guess and that's when you make mistakes.
You also don't make up for your mistakes by doing something good and scoring the other way quite as much.

Back