Club History Is Robbie Gray our greatest ever of the AFL period?

Remove this Banner Ad

I just think people are taking into account Wanganeen's whole AFL career rather than just his career with us, which was clearly still quality.

Robbie's body of work here outweighs Gav's in my opinion.

Gav just has this mystical aura about him that elevates him in my mind. The perfect footballer - skillful, athletic, courageous, versatile, consistent. And he had a sense for the big moment that I don't think anyone else at Port has come close to yet.

I'm still at Tredders closely followed by Gav but with a big gap to third. Robbie, Trav and the Cornes boys lead the chasing pack.

I’m not even sure the squad was that exceptional anyway. It was very good, but the relative lack of All-Australians that came from a squad that won 3 minor premierships and a flag is quite telling. The sum of all parts was greater than any individual.

The Burgoynes, Cornses, Wanganeen, Pickett, Hardwick, Wakelin, Carr, James, Lade, Dew, Wilson werent that good individually. Err yeah, ok.

The Burgoynes, Cornses, Wanganeen, Pickett, Hardwick, Wakelin, Carr, James, Lade, Dew, Wilson werent that good individually. Err yeah, ok.

Who said they weren’t good? I actually said they were very good. Dew wasn’t a great, Carr was very good without being an out and out superstar, the Burgoyne’s were highly talented but prone to inconsistency.
Like I said, it wasn’t a team full of stars like the Geelong teams from 2007 onwards that won so many AA honours. It was a team with a very good, talented bunch of stars surrounded by some very solid role players who did their job very well.

Who said they weren’t good? I actually said they were very good. Dew wasn’t a great, Carr was very good without being a an out and out superstar, the Burgoyne’s were highly talented but prone to inconsistency.
Like I said, it wasn’t a team full of stars like the Geelong teams from 2007 onwards that won so many AA honours. It was a team with a very good, talented bunch of stars surrounded by some very solid role players who did their job very well.

I wouldn't put that much emphasis on AA honours. Those awards are inconsistent more often than not. The 2004 squad had absolute talent to burn.

I wouldn't put that much emphasis on AA honours. Those awards are inconsistent more often than not. The 2004 squad had absolute talent to burn.

Of course it had talent to burn. It also had Toby Thurstans, Adam Kingsley, Jarrad Schofield, Josh Mahoney, Stuart Cochrane, Matthew Bishop and a heap of players who missed a stack of football through injury.
With all this in mind it goes back to what this discussion sprang up from, Warren Tredrea, who was an absolute constant in that side in a premiership year.

1 Tredrea
2 Wanganeen
3 Gray
4 C.Cornes
5 S.Burgoyne

But for injury, it would have been

1 Tredrea
2 Primus
3 Francou
4 Wanganeeen (ignoring his Essendon career)
5 Gray
6 C.Cornes
7 R.James
Roger James gets left out of these lists a bit.

2003 finals series no Primus, Francou, James ( bit like Brisbane no Keating Voss Black).
2004 finals series no Primus, Francou

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tredrea was the All-Australian CHF in 4 consecutive years (Would have been 5 had it not been stolen from him by Pavlich in 2005). That’s 4 consecutive AA’s in the most difficult position on the field to play. He was never “squeezed in” to the team on the bench or in a pocket, he was picked as the most dominant key forward in the comp on 4 consecutive occasions. Think about that.

Last edited:
I’m convinced that Warren Tredrea is the most underrated player in AFL history. Four consecutive AA nods in the hardest position on the ground, and you could argue he was very hard done by for the 5th if you look at his 2005 season.
No one ever mentions his opposite foot, hit some insane kicks on the run with his left. A very complete footballer who will be eternally overlooked outside of the club (except for the phonecall).

1. Tredders
2. Wangas
3. The Chad
4. Robbie
5. Senior Burger

If Junior had of stayed the course, it would be an interesting discussion between he and Robbie.

I know all Australian jumpers as a measure of quality is slightly flawed. But:

Tredrea - 4
Gray - 3
Wanganeen, primus, Chad Cornes, kane Cornes, lade, wingard and Boak are all the next best with 2.

It’s up for debate whether he’s in our top 5, but the suggestion is not even close is laughable and tbh quite disrespectful to the best clubman we’ve ever had
Ok, maybe he's not that far...

30 touches, 24 effective + an assist in extra time to put us 3 goals up. I dunno, looks ok to me.

25 touches, 9 clearances, 3 goals, 1 assist, 9 1%ers against peak Hawthorn in 2014.

There’s not much he can do if the umpires are going to hand the opposition the win in the dying seconds.

He was pretty handy against Freo an Richmond in 2014 as well.
I know this will be unpopular but id say gray has well outperformed warren in the finals games. My memory is probably hazy but i cant remember warren taking a game apart in all our failed finals from that era. Think people are forgetting how bad we were in september back then.

Who won the Norm Smith?

Andrew Embley and Jason Johannisen have won Norm Smiths. It’s a great honour no doubt but it doesn’t singlehandedly make them greats of the game.

Andrew Embley and Jason Johannisen have won Norm Smiths. It’s a great honour no doubt but it doesn’t singlehandedly make them greats of the game.

I just don't like the simultaneous thought that some players weren't great because they weren't AA and some players were great but didnt get AA honours because they were hard done by. It's not a true reflection of a players worth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back