Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club is soft pure and simple it doesn’t fit their PR spin to move him on KT backed him and Kochie has stated he’s a ten year coach

If they moved him on that would make them look bad.

Meanwhile we are going anywhere under Hinkley/Voss except more excuses. We missed our chance after 2017 to move ken/Voss on

I have heard this alleged clause as a rumor but don't know if it's true? Hinkley signed his extension and a clause was agreed to . The club can terminate at the end of 2020 if there isn't finals performances the club are satisfied with. No finals or no finals wins means no contract 2021 no ifs or buts.so therefore no payout. But if Hinckley wins a flag in this time $1 million bonus! Don't know what to believe but Ken will certainly be here 2020 regardless of 2019 result

I have heard this alleged clause as a rumor but don't know if it's true? Hinkley signed his extension and a clause was agreed to . The club can terminate at the end of 2020 if there isn't finals performances the club are satisfied with. No finals or no finals wins means no contract 2021 no ifs or buts.so therefore no payout. But if Hinckley wins a flag in this time $1 million bonus! Don't know what to believe but Ken will certainly be here 2020 regardless of 2019 result
I don't think there is any out clauses, he would have just taken the guaranteed years from Gold Coast instead.

The trigger clause will lead to a new contract. The extra year clause is just a safety net so that he’s under contract if he’s successful and can concentrate on doing the best he can in 2020 rather than going to speak to other clubs with 6 months to go.

Makes me understand why Hinkley said give me co-captains. The club wants to put performance clauses in, then don’t complain when decisions are made about extracting as much performance out of the squad as possible.

I think you’re reading it the wrong way. It says the trigger clause is “for the final year” i.e. it triggers the final year in the current deal. If he doesn’t meet the performance criteria he doesn’t get 2021.

Regardless of results we are stuck with Hinkley until at least the end of 2020, my concern over and above that is how Koch and KT will handle the situation if another club offers Schofield a more senior gig.

They have both blinked first before, and I don't have any great faith in either of them to not do that again.

Regardless of results we are stuck with Hinkley until at least the end of 2020, my concern over and above that is how Koch and KT will handle the situation if another club offers Schofield a more senior gig.

They have both blinked first before, and I don't have any great faith in either of them to not do that again.
Gotta keep our next head coach.

Gotta keep our next head coach.
Freo would be the obvious to maybe poach schofield but clubs usually want assistants who have been assistants under succesful systems eg. Caracella so i think if we continue to fail it wont go well for any of our assistants being looked at by other clubs.

Freo would be the obvious to maybe poach schofield but clubs usually want assistants who have been assistants under succesful systems eg. Caracella so i think if we continue to fail it wont go well for any of our assistants being looked at by other clubs.

Yep. If any of our assistants get poached, it'll be because we've had a successful year, and sacking Hinkley would be off the agenda.

Interestingly enough, it seems to happen quite often to us given our relative lack of success. We've made finals 4 of the past 13 years (lol) but had assistants poached to become senior coaches in 3 of those 4 years - Bailey in 2007, Richardson in 2013, Walsh in 2014.

6 (6!) current AFL coaches are former Hawthorn assistants, and 3 of those have premierships of their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah.

Inform me of a better coach who's on the market.
The lads love Ken... You HAVE to appreciate that!

Oh my. The ol' "the players love him". Terribly exaggerated, but so what? It's about results. I'd rather the players love a successful coach. Then the ol' "who's out there?" There's always someone out there if the club does its due diligence.

Last edited:
Oh my. The ol' "the players love him". Terrible exaggerated, bur so what? It's about results. I'd rather the players love a successful coach. Then the ol' "who's out there?" There's always someone out there if the club does its due diligence.
You didn't mention a good coach that's on the ******* market you whinging bugger.

we solved the "da boys love him" thing ages ago 1) that's not necessarily a good thing 2) you would love him too if you were an average senior player with a soft coach all about "extending careers"

You didn't mention a good coach that's on the ******* market you whinging bugger.

This isn't sensible. It's not for me or you or any supporter to throw out a name because none of us will be interviewing any prospective coach to understand if they're the right fit for our club. The club personnel doing the hiring must do that, not the supporter. Most coaches have been appointed from assistant positions rather than from proven head coaching positions.

Last edited:

This is an absolute furphy which is wheeled out by every supporter of a coach who isn't up to it.

Nobody knows which assistants are future premiership head coaches and which ones aren't. Every assistant that gets hired as a head coach is highly regarded (except maybe Primus).

If we've decided Hinkley can't win us a flag, he needs to be moved on immediately so we can take the best current available option, because they might be able to win us a flag.

I heard 'one of those stories last week' - well I do know the source is legit, a well known radio host.

Off air Hinkley said how good the crop of young players are, then joked he will probably be sacked before he gets a chance to coach them.

I'd say Hinkley is in the gun and the members are restless, he's living on borrowed time.

I heard 'one of those stories last week' - well I do know the source is legit, a well known radio host.

Off air Hinkley said how good the crop of young players are, then joked he will probably be sacked before he gets a chance to coach them.

I'd say Hinkley is in the gun and the members are restless, he's living on borrowed time.
Living in hope.

Smacks of a man who has no confidence in his own ability, at least he has got this right. Shameful for koch to give this guy a 10 year lease on this club absolutely shameful koch. When you put someone in a position which they are not qualified to fulfill they will always make a mess. Is this the koch who is running around selling the bitcoin story?

As a supporter I hope like everyone else that we have a terrific year and Ken can prove us wrong. However, i'm not optimistic and agree with the majority of posters that signing him up to this length of tenure was a diabolical error of judgement. Ken did great things when he came to the club. However, what is rarely mentioned is that the club increased spending in the football department immensely once Primus got sacked. In the Primus era the midfield coach was Dean Laidley who was situated in Melbourne and would coach over Skype...You can't run a football club that way! Along with Ken the club also recruited Allan Richardson as the the director of coaching and strategy. In addition, we got back our former fitness coach Darren Burgess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back