Analysis Jack Henry a forward? Rationalism and Bayesian Inference help you decide...

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Sav and Henry have the potential to be our forwardline for 10 years IMO.
Narkle, Parfitt and Kelly could be our starting midfield in 4 years as well, sure potential doesn't always turn out to be reality but the signs are very promising.
Henry is a defender not a forward. He has zero forward nous and a turning circle that makes glen jackovich proud. Could be a great Geelong back flanker like ken Hinkley though.

Henry is a defender not a forward. He has zero forward nous and a turning circle that makes glen jackovich proud. Could be a great Geelong back flanker like ken Hinkley though.
You are confusing him with someone else.
He is a natural forward, and his agility is one of his most notable assets.
Where he ends up playing over the next 10 years is anyone's guess.
But he could well be a very good 2nd/3rd tall forward who swings up the ground in an old-fashioned ruck-rover type role.

You are confusing him with someone else.
He is a natural forward, and his agility is one of his most notable assets.
Where he ends up playing over the next 10 years is anyone's guess.
But he could well be a very good 2nd/3rd tall forward who swings up the ground in an old-fashioned ruck-rover type role.
Ok we have hit peak Henry delusion just like we hit peak buzza delusion last year and look how quickly that disintegrated.

Should be dropped if we had any forward talent In the reserves. He aint much better then kersten as a forward at this stage in his career. He will also never be a key position player at either end of the field. He is a flanker and nothing more. Defence is his go or he won’t make it.

Ok we have hit peak Henry delusion just like we hit peak buzza delusion last year and look how quickly that disintegrated.

Should be dropped if we had any forward talent In the reserves. He aint much better then kersten as a forward at this stage in his career. He will also never be a key position player at either end of the field. He is a flanker and nothing more. Defence is his go or he won’t make it.
Comparisons with Buzza are just ridiculous; one is a good footballer with high-level potential, and the other is neither.
Comparisons with Kersten are equally spurious; one is a first-year player performing well above the norm for first-year players, and the other failed to perform in 5 years at the club.
You are simply wrong in your observations about Henry's abilities and current potential.

This is a horrible take. Facepalm.jpg

Hmmm not so sure about that, but will let his footy career as it keeps developing
be all the proof you need.

Do i need to remind you has has come from nowhere?

Lot to like about Jack and i am well and truly on his bandwagon.

Not to shabby that mark either!

This is a horrible take. Facepalm.jpg
Yeah I know I will get sh*** for this just like I did after buzzas game against the pies last year, and when kersten kicked 3 goals in a game the year before and when I highlighted the major problems in Vardy, Walker and Browns games. I will be right as usual though unfortunately as I almost always am. Not because I’m smart though. Just more rational. Everyone biases their views to the upside with kids so if you think rationally it’s easy to spot when we have a positivity bubble and major flaws are being overlooked as they are with Henry as a forward.

The only young tall forward in the past 9 years where I think the positivity may be real rather then a bubble is with Esava.

At least Henry can play defence and has serious potential there.

Yeah I know I will get sh*** for this just like I did after buzzas game against the pies last year, and when kersten kicked 3 goals in a game the year before and when I highlighted the major problems in Vardy, Walker and Browns games. I will be right as usual though unfortunately as I almost always am. Not because I’m smart though. Just more rational. Everyone biases their views to the upside with kids so if you think rationally it’s easy to spot when we have a positivity bubble and major flaws are being overlooked as they are with Henry as a forward.

The only young tall forward in the past 9 years where I think the positivity may be real rather then a bubble is with Esava.

Very modest too don’t forget :thumbsu:

Hmmm not so sure about that, but will let his footy career as it keeps developing
be all the proof you need.

Do i need to remind you has has come from nowhere?

Lot to like about Jack and i am well and truly on his bandwagon.

Not to shabby that mark either!
Lots of potential. But as a defender. He can’t lead, isn’t big enough to take a mark with a defender hanging off him (he needs to run and take a leap to get his marks in a pack and that won’t work with a defender on him). Also has a poor turning circle and not exactly a player you see capable of roving packs and snapping goals. There is no forward craft with him.

Oh dear. Dig up!

If "we" (ie Geelong supporters) "have a positivity bubble" then the rest of the footy world is in the same boat.

Taking his whole season, as forward, part-time ruck, hb flanker, tall defender and intercept marking defender, the AFL community (and most significantly, the bookies who have to put their money where their mouths are) have him running 4th in the Rising Star.

Lots of potential. But as a defender. He can’t lead, isn’t big enough to take a mark with a defender hanging off him (he needs to run and take a leap to get his marks in a pack and that won’t work with a defender on him). Also has a poor turning circle and not exactly a player you see capable of roving packs and snapping goals. There is no forward craft with him.

Next you will be picking the team!!!!

Give up now, b4 that hole gets toooo deep modest one!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just going back to your original scramble, accusing a 15-gamer of having "zero forward nous" because he struggles to play CHF after 3 or 4 games there displays an abysmal ignorance about football.

CHF is, always has been and probably always will be the most difficult role in football.

In the last 60 years, it is the only role on the whole field in which Geelong has failed to produce a champion or even a near-great.

Peak delusion is putting a line thru a kid who was a rookie pick 16 a year ago after he's played pretty much all year and been moved around more than the Goal Post shifters arguments in the CS coaching thread.

Is he a #1KPF - hell no. Not even close. But FFS let the kid play it out a bit. He was a bloody high jumper a few years ago and he's just played, and played really well, in his first year of AFL footy.

He can be developed and whilst I dont disagree that he's not Jack, Tommy, Josh, Ben or any of the top forwards in the league, im not ruling him out.

He reasds the ball really well in flight, can take a great pack mark, can kick resaonably well and has been a forward for about 12 minutes.

So for all your self appointed "smarts" id say you are bloody stupid to rule it out as a possibility.

But given there is only so much room in the noggin for brains and reason I guess the ego had to push something out.

GO Catters

Ok, we have hit peak seeds contrarian negativity with Henry just like we have seen over the last year with the team. Negativity for the sake of negativity.

Seeds seems like the bloke that invites himself to a party, eats all the food, steals a few beers, pisses on the porch and leaves.

Why would anyone want to be rational about their footy team though?

If you were purely rational and didn’t care about the emotion of the game, why wouldn’t you just choose the best team every year and follow them? If you can’t have blind optimism and take the game sooo seriously that you need to claim “rational”ism as a trait that exhibits your superiority then I have great sympathy for you.

Lighten up, don’t take it so serious - you might enjoy your footy experience more.

Why would anyone want to be rational about their footy team though?

If you were purely rational and didn’t care about the emotion of the game, why wouldn’t you just choose the best team every year and follow them? If you can’t have blind optimism and take the game sooo seriously that you need to claim “rational”ism as a trait that exhibits your superiority then I have great sympathy for you.

Lighten up, don’t take it so serious - you might enjoy your footy experience more.
Rationalism is always superior to irrationality by its very definition. That doesn’t mean you cant have hope and be optimistic that things turn out better then you expect.

Rationalism is always superior to irrationality by its very definition.
That is true if you are talking about stuff that actually matters.

If you are talking about 36 blokes chasing an inflated leather ball around a park for 3 hours then you need to get a bit of perspective.

Peak delusion is putting a line thru a kid who was a rookie pick 16 a year ago after he's played pretty much all year and been moved around more than the Goal Post shifters arguments in the CS coaching thread.

Is he a #1KPF - hell no. Not even close. But FFS let the kid play it out a bit. He was a bloody high jumper a few years ago and he's just played, and played really well, in his first year of AFL footy.

He can be developed and whilst I dont disagree that he's not Jack, Tommy, Josh, Ben or any of the top forwards in the league, im not ruling him out.

He reasds the ball really well in flight, can take a great pack mark, can kick resaonably well and has been a forward for about 12 minutes.

So for all your self appointed "smarts" id say you are bloody stupid to rule it out as a possibility.

But given there is only so much room in the noggin for brains and reason I guess the ego had to push something out.

GO Catters
I’ve put a line through no one. I very rarely rule anything out but base my views on Bayesian inference. It’s still possible for him to be a great forward but based on what I’ve seen highly unlikely. Much more likely he could be a very good defender. Albeit probably not a key defender as you have ruled out. I wouldn’t 100 percent rule that out by the way but probably have it as 5 percent or less as working. He could be a very good player but let’s not talk about him being a potential star or one of the best young prospects in the comp. it’s going too far and doesn’t match what we have seen. He is probably in the bottom 5 players in the team at the moment. A good prospect nonetheless.

That is true if you are talking about stuff that actually matters.

If you are talking about 36 blokes chasing an inflated leather ball around a park for 3 hours then you need to get a bit of perspective.
Football matters to those who can get joy out of it. Joy in ones life is ultimately what matters. Working and staying healthy is only worth doing if we can find happiness in our lives. Football for many is important. Although it’s not the only source of enjoyment that can be found and is therefore not necessary. But still, I wouldn’t undervalue what football can mean to our lives.

Football matters to those who can get joy out of it. Joy in ones life is ultimately what matters. Working and staying healthy is only worth doing if we can find happiness in our lives. Football for many is important. Although it’s not the only source of enjoyment that can be found and is therefore not necessary. But still, I wouldn’t undervalue what football can mean to our lives.
Footy is pure escapism. Nothing more, nothing less.

Strict rationalism has no place is escapism.

Each to their own nonetheless.

Footy is pure escapism. Nothing more, nothing less.

Strict rationalism has no place is escapism.

Each to their own nonetheless.
Rationalisms place is everywhere, even in the imagination. Anyone who thinks there are places where it doesn’t belong doesn’t understand what it means. Rationalism is not the opposite of emotion. Emotion and rationalism go together.

Time to get this thread back on track. does anyone think the club might bring esava back in for the first final if he plays a full game this weekend?

How far off it did he look yesterday?

Henry not a forward ?? :think: He displays consistent efforts that prove his footy IQ is above average and his dexterity (tackling or ground ball) once the ball hits the deck is enormous. Each of which are hallmark traits of a top-line forward. Which Jack Henry are you watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back