Jack Higgins - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Have heard different accounts. Most of them say Higgins apparently had a sense of entitlement. A lot of players felt betrayed that the club stuck with him through his surgeries and rehab and then he cracked the shits that he wasn't getting game time (Due to a lack of defensive accountability) or had the desire to work towards winning a spot and took the easy way out.

Others accounts are he was irritating and goofed around so often that a lot of players thought he was either taking the piss or couldn't take anything too seriously.

If the top is true that is just ridiculous.

He was a first round draft pick ffs. Oh Richmond stuck by him while he had a year out? What heartful champions! After delisting the likes of Rance and Riewoldt at their first hurdle, they stuck by this guy and he showed them nothing in return!

Was it the likes of Prestia, Caddy, Lynch, Nankervis & Houli who disliked him for leaving despite the opportunities granted to him by his original club?

What absolute w***er nonsense that would only be said and believed by a one eyed Bigfooty poster.

And Higgins is my least favourite player in the comp, he’s a selfish player who acts like he’d rather kick 4 goals and lose than 1 & win. BUT Richmond fans who carry on about “we supported him” as if they took a punt on him like they did Stack and then he had 3 years out of the game…

He was a first round draft pick ffs. Oh Richmond stuck by him while he had a year out? What heartful champions! After delisting the likes of Rance and Riewoldt at their first hurdle, they stuck by this guy and he showed them nothing in return!

Was it the likes of Prestia, Caddy, Lynch, Nankervis & Houli who disliked him for leaving despite the opportunities granted to him by his original club?

What absolute w***er nonsense that would only be said and believed by a one eyed Bigfooty poster.

And Higgins is my least favourite player in the comp, he’s a selfish player who acts like he’d rather kick 4 goals and lose than 1 & win. BUT Richmond fans who carry on about “we supported him” as if they took a punt on him like they did Stack and then he had 3 years out of the game…
Can you please clarify your point?

Not sure what you're trying to say, you seem quite emotional about this.

One of the best small forwards in the competition now. Agree with Richmond supporters though he wasn’t up to it at that point, but now would be in that team.
Possibly. Would get more return than say MRJ at the moment, but he seems to still have that selfish attitude that cost him games at the Tigers. St Kilda fans would have more insight as they watch him every week.
Would much rather Butler personally.

Sounds like North fans and JHF. They claim they ‘supported’ him as well.

Never ever felt the “ wish we kept this bloke” for Higgins. He does some good things but I just don’t think he’s a good consistently player and more importantly a team player. Dan Butler on the other hand I always bleed that we let him go. Always rated him as the best small forward out of the trio we won the flag in 17 with.
Same here with Butler. Just lost form at the wrong time, and Castagna cemented his spot. Sliding doors and he could’ve been a 3x premiership player for the Tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butler has always been class and we dearly miss him.

Don’t know what went wrong with his 2019 season, it’s actually unexplainable that it just didn’t click wheras the 6 other seasons since 2017 inc this year he’s a polished finisher and can hurt you in the front half of the ground.
His injury slowed him down.

We just don’t know from the outside looking in, but Higgins looks like someone easily misunderstood because he expresses himself differently to the average player. Could it be that our players just didn’t understand him, which then made him leave because he felt uncomfortable? I’ve had that worry even when he played for us.

I’m not saying this to say our players wronged him while he was with us btw, but I think Higgins being misunderstood is plausible. There are plenty of people that are disliked by a group when the person did nothing wrong to them other than just being themselves. Sometimes, a person is just not a good match in character to the group they’re in and it may not necessarily be that person’s fault.

Higgins just doesn’t strike me as an arsehole tbh. He’s just looks like a passionate guy that probably would’ve left to St Kilda the moment he could (I mean, he grew up supporting them and even did work experience with Jade Gresham lol).

This is just an alternate theory to him acting arrogant and entitled at Richmond.
I don't think I agree with that Richmond accepts every personality, we have a lot aboriginal players who would have lived completely different lives & are different to many other players on the list.

Higgins was supported a lot during the brain bleed, even before that he gave joke talk-up speeches in the huddle.
He just found himself out of the team & couldn't get back & saw the club win 2 flags.
Pretty hard not to leave if that happened to you.

What a load of s**t.

Its like when someone leaves a cult and the members of the cult all shun and make up stories about the one that leaves.

I really dislike it when fans embrace someone who comes to their club as a great bloke but then claim anyone leaves is a terrible character.

Really irks me. The bloke had brain surgery ffs and came back. Pretty obvious he has some strength of character about him.

Let me guess - Taranto, Nank, Hopper, Prestia, Tarrant, Lynch are all wonderful characters from great families?

What a load of s**t.
I agree … people speculating about someone’s character like they even know the bloke based on whether he has left your club or come to your club. The fact is that due to illness and Richmond being a pretty handy side back in 2019 and 2020, opportunities were limited for Higgins and at that stage George, D. Rioli & Bolton were all preferred small forward options ahead of him so he sought a trade to the club he rabidly supported growing up and Richmond sympathised with him and didn’t stand in his way.

Personally, I wouldn’t read a lot into the fact that a few of the Richmond players were getting into Higgins and not Dan Butler … Dan has also being a quiet, more introverted personality whilst Higgo is an energizer-bunny that never shuts up and therefore more likely to engage in some trash talk which is no big deal … I actually wish Higgins well – he’s a very good player that we unfortunately lost primarily for being such a strong side. That’s the way the system works.

His Father is a Coiterie member at the Saints and a massive influence.
They had a massive falling out with Higgins personal trainer after being drafted, public slagging match on Socials..unpleasant.

He wasn’t selected in all three GF’s for diff reasons but the last one he played 10 games for the year and couldn’t stay in the team and didn’t take it well apparently.
Wish him all the best but could see the players didn’t want anything to do with him on Sat night

They had a massive falling out with Higgins personal trainer after being drafted, public slagging match on Socials..unpleasant.

He wasn’t selected in all three GF’s for diff reasons but the last one he played 10 games for the year and couldn’t stay in the team and didn’t take it well apparently.
Wish him all the best but could see the players didn’t want anything to do with him on Sat night

Yes the dad was a big problem and still is

Good luck

He wasn’t on the list for the 2017 gf, he had brain surgery during in July 2019 so was never a chance to play in the 2019 gf. It was only 2020 gf that he missed when available for selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back