Jack Higgins - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

I must admit to being rather surprised when I first saw your comment but I then saw your later post about the Docherty incident which I had forgotten about and so can totally understand your viewpoint. I can honestly tell you as somebody who watches all our games, however, that act was a one-off from Bolton and I think a fairer portrayal of him would be a player who's not a showboat but did showboat on one occasion, just as in the same way a player who is an indisputable showboat yet acts in humble & reserved manner from time to time, is nevertheless still a showboat.

Fair and reasonable

Sorry, Richmond are a bottom 10 team. Thank you
Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

But how can you say Higgins was pushed out for being a showboat in 2020 when Bolton has done it worse less than 12 months ago? As if it’s something the “Richmond man” doesn’t do?

No way Bolton should’ve apologised fwiw. There will come a time where he will be made to look like a fool and we will all laugh, until then he is playing some great footy and he deserves to play the game in the way he wants. I’m not going to say I liked it with Doc being on the receiving end but I had no issue with it.

We wanted to keep Higgins

Bolton is a bigger show boat than Higgins ever was.

He left for opportunity, was probably dirty over missing the 2020 grand final. Richmond were happy to oblige like they have with other fringe players. The more senior players probably think he is just an annoying kid and don’t see him as a massive loss to the group.

Saying he is not a Richmond man or not something your culture permits is just wank.
I get where you are coming from being a Carlton supporter and what Bolton did to Docherty but that is incorrect
Bolton lets his football do the talking and would be considered in the top 20 players in the league

Higgins just lets his mouth and behavior do the show boating and still has a lot to learn
He is also extremely self orientated and loves to get the glory in situations.

Richmond have had alot of players leave the club the last 6-7 years and most of the all of the ex players are well liked and you see it at the end of and in games but Higgins is not liked. Clearly more has occurred at the club than whats been reported.

Dam Butler was getting alot of respect and gestures from the Richmond players where Higgins was just trying to be a hero and acting like a knob and got treated accordingly.

The vision of him trying to bump Noah Balta and being put on his ass is a great example

Higgins, dont miss the guy, never have. Good luck to him, he is a knob.

Butler on the other hand, wish nothing but the best for him but geez i wish he was still a tiger.
Do you think Butler should have been in the side ahead of Castagna?

Butler's form dropped right off in 2019 so Castagna was ahead of him at the time. Dan also found it hard to fight his way back into the team as we now had 2 KPP in Riewoldt and Lynch in the team, plus Daniel Rioli & Castagna up forward. Higgins who was showing more than Dan at the time so the club thought Dan was expendable.

Problem was Rioli's output up forward also dropped right off and we all know now he is a better HBF. If the club kept Butler on we would have been better off today but easy in hindsight I guess.

Butler was cleaner and had better skills than George but never had the same work rate. George was a pressure beast and allowed our other more talented players to flourish. Butler didn’t have the defensive pressure game George did and thus played in the 2019 vfl gf, while George played in the afl gf.

I must admit to being rather surprised when I first saw your comment but I then saw your later post about the Docherty incident which I had forgotten about and so can totally understand your viewpoint. I can honestly tell you as somebody who watches all our games, however, that act was a one-off from Bolton and I think a fairer portrayal of him would be a player who's not a showboat but did showboat on one occasion, just as in the same way a player who is an indisputable showboat yet acts in humble & reserved manner from time to time, is nevertheless still a showboat.
Docherty also carried on like a f*wit in the 2022 season opener against the Tigers. So maybe this was some payback.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither Butler or Higgins will take St Kilda to the promise land, I don't have anything against Butler he left for more opportunities that it was clear he wasn't going to get at Richmond, Higgins we wanted to keep but at same time he didn't want to fight for his spot in the future & he gets a game every week with the Saints & probably a more money.

Despite both being small forwards, they are actually completely different players, im not sure they were really in competition with each other.
I always saw Rioli, Butler and Castagna as more defensive small forwards, while seeing Bolton, Stengle and Higgins as more attacking small forwards.

I always saw Rioli, Butler and Castagna as more defensive small forwards, while seeing Bolton, Stengle and Higgins as more attacking small forwards.
Thats fair, however Butler was much more a ground ball player where as Castanga played more like a 3rd tall type role.

Higgins has been a much better player at St.Kilda, but Richmond wouldn't care at all that he is gone.

He was crazy to stay at Richmond, needed a fresh start.

I think Richmond would have regrets letting Butler go (at least so cheaply) but definitely not Higgins.

Butler's form dropped right off in 2019 so Castagna was ahead of him at the time. Dan also found it hard to fight his way back into the team as we now had 2 KPP in Riewoldt and Lynch in the team, plus Daniel Rioli & Castagna up forward. Higgins who was showing more than Dan at the time so the club thought Dan was expendable.

Problem was Rioli's output up forward also dropped right off and we all know now he is a better HBF. If the club kept Butler on we would have been better off today but easy in hindsight I guess.
Not totally true, only reason we let Butler go was that he was the unlucky one of the smaller forwards that happened to be out of contract at the time. Know that for a fact but do agree, his form had been ordinary for a season or so

Stengel? Was pretty average when he was with us imo. Was far from unhappy when he moved on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back