Mabior Chol - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

43 goals so far and he's kicked goals in every game this season, that's a great return.

It is even better when you consider he has been second ruck. Pretty sure he has done better as a forward than any other second ruck. His 6 contested possessions per game is strong.

He is a very handy player rather than anything approaching elite.

Richmond recruiting and development staff have put on a clinic since 2014. Butler, Higgins, Coleman-Jones, Chol, Stengle and to a lesser extent Markov were originally recruited by Richmond and since 2014 are currently getting regular senior games at other clubs.

On top of those we recruited and developed the following current best 22 Richmond players: Short, D Rioli, Broad, Bolton, Graham, Balta, Miller, Baker, Ross, Pickett, Cumberland.

And that is omitting Premiership players Castagna, and Soldo. And we’ll be picking the eyes out of Ralphsmith, Rioli Jnr, Gibcus, Sonsie, Stack, and several other strong looking prospects in years to come.

All with only one top 10 selection in that time. It is a fair recruiting effort. But if you read some people on our board out recruiters are clueless. 🤣

It is even better when you consider he has been second ruck. Pretty sure he has done better as a forward than any other second ruck. His 6 contested possessions per game is strong.

He is a very handy player rather than anything approaching elite.

Richmond recruiting and development staff have put on a clinic since 2014. Butler, Higgins, Coleman-Jones, Chol, Stengle and to a lesser extent Markov were originally recruited by Richmond and since 2014 are currently getting regular senior games at other clubs.

On top of those we recruited and developed the following current best 22 Richmond players: Short, D Rioli, Broad, Bolton, Graham, Balta, Miller, Baker, Ross, Pickett, Cumberland.

And that is omitting Premiership players Castagna, and Soldo. And we’ll be picking the eyes out of Ralphsmith, Rioli Jnr, Gibcus, Sonsie, Stack, and several other strong looking prospects in years to come.

All with only one top 10 selection in that time. It is a fair recruiting effort. But if you read some people on our board out recruiters are clueless. 🤣
And I think the Tiges are a younger than Pies, for example?

There is run and flair all over the ground. Strong KPs and insiders will be needed in my opinion.

And I think the Tiges are a younger than Pies, for example?

There is run and flair all over the ground. Strong KPs and insiders will be needed in my opinion.

That is what we need with some urgency, a quality inside mid and a viable key forward.

Richmond are actually fielding a team younger in average age than Collingwood this week, 26 years, 2 months v 26 years, 4 months. But I think in most matches it has been the other way around. Richmond are not a young team as such but we have a lot of promising players who are 21 or younger and we would probably expect up to about 8-10 of those to make the grade.

That is what we need with some urgency, a quality inside mid and a viable key forward.

Richmond are actually fielding a team younger in average age than Collingwood this week, 26 years, 2 months v 26 years, 4 months. But I think in most matches it has been the other way around. Richmond are not a young team as such but we have a lot of promising players who are 21 or younger and we would probably expect up to about 8-10 of those to make the grade.
Yep.
It is still incredible to think Tiges first recent flag was with only 1 KPF, and all 3 were with fairly average I-Mids. I find it remarkable. Speaks volumes for the all-ground pressure acts and the coaching prowess to continuosly have plus 1 in defense. I also think the Tiges made wingers fashionable again, with intense running up and down maintaining pressure and the links between front and back. I personally have a mancrush on your most unfashionable player, Mcintosh. Always just there. As was Caddy for a couple of years.

The game has now changed. I don't think rules will allow teams to cleverly avoid having strong inside mids any longer.

Everyone would be happy for Chol. He showed some promise at the Tiges, but one always felt something was missing. A bit of grunt, or edge. He seems to float around laconically like Jack Thompson with those 2 sisters in their love nest, who he could never tell apart apart from the tiny hemmarhoid that Lisa allegedly endured for years back to the left.

I just reckon Chol could do with a bit of devil to add to his skills and athleticism.

Back to the left?

Where is this guy? How's that 4-year deal looking?
Considering that we're reportedly paying him less than $400k a season and we've already got a career best season out of him that included 44 goals as our leading goalkicker in a year that we were absolutely desperate for a key forward to step up in King's absence, I'd say it's going better than expected to date. Getting King back and moving Lukosius into a permanent forward role this year was supposed to push Casboult out of the team but Levi is playing his role as a foil for King and Luko so well that it's keeping Chol out of the team.

It's been a long time since we've had genuine key forward depth at the Suns and Chol is playing an important role right now because he's keeping the pressure on Casboult to continue his strong performances. Levi knows he's one or two poor performances away from a permanent position in the reserves so he's really playing on the edge. Obviously Mabs would prefer to be playing AFL footy each week, but he's going to get his chance eventually because at some point we're either going to be hit by an injury to one of the key forwards or poor form will strike. Chol is definitely next in line when that happens, especially considering he's probably the best ruck relief we have on our list and Witts can't do it solo forever.

Without Chol last year we would have almost definitely been a bottom 4 team and without Chol this year we probably wouldn't be seeing Casboult playing his role this well at 33 years of age. I'd also add that our reserves team is currently on top of the VFL ladder and Chol has played his part in that success with 15 goals in 7 games so far this season. Anyone who knows footy understands how important it is to have a strong reserves team to keep the pressure on the AFL players to perform. In all likelihood Casboult will retire at the end of this season or his form will drop to a point that he can't be chosen in the AFL team anymore so Chol will replace him eventually. It's just a question of when.

Who knows what the next two years hold for Mabs but I'm still very happy with the deal and what he's contributed to date.

Considering that we're reportedly paying him less than $400k a season and we've already got a career best season out of him that included 44 goals as our leading goalkicker in a year that we were absolutely desperate for a key forward to step up in King's absence, I'd say it's going better than expected to date. Getting King back and moving Lukosius into a permanent forward role this year was supposed to push Casboult out of the team but Levi is playing his role as a foil for King and Luko so well that it's keeping Chol out of the team.

It's been a long time since we've had genuine key forward depth at the Suns and Chol is playing an important role right now because he's keeping the pressure on Casboult to continue his strong performances. Levi knows he's one or two poor performances away from a permanent position in the reserves so he's really playing on the edge. Obviously Mabs would prefer to be playing AFL footy each week, but he's going to get his chance eventually because at some point we're either going to be hit by an injury to one of the key forwards or poor form will strike. Chol is definitely next in line when that happens, especially considering he's probably the best ruck relief we have on our list and Witts can't do it solo forever.

Without Chol last year we would have almost definitely been a bottom 4 team and without Chol this year we probably wouldn't be seeing Casboult playing his role this well at 33 years of age. I'd also add that our reserves team is currently on top of the VFL ladder and Chol has played his part in that success with 15 goals in 7 games so far this season. Anyone who knows footy understands how important it is to have a strong reserves team to keep the pressure on the AFL players to perform. In all likelihood Casboult will retire at the end of this season or his form will drop to a point that he can't be chosen in the AFL team anymore so Chol will replace him eventually. It's just a question of when.

Who knows what the next two years hold for Mabs but I'm still very happy with the deal and what he's contributed to date.
Yeah fair enough. I always like Mabior but I reckon he'll always be a tease and never really solidify his spot.
Lukosius, Casboult and King are holding down the key forward posts making it hard for Chol to get a game.
Would Chol get a game at Richmond at the moment?
He'd probably be depth as he was for 6 years or whatever it was. With Lynch out and Samson Ryan a chance to miss a few he'd be handy to be able to call up but we have Chol mkII in Ben Miller doing a job at the moment.

In short - he'd probably be in the same position as he is in at GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah fair enough. I always like Mabior but I reckon he'll always be a tease and never really solidify his spot.

He'd probably be depth as he was for 6 years or whatever it was. With Lynch out and Samson Ryan a chance to miss a few he'd be handy to be able to call up but we have Chol mkII in Ben Miller doing a job at the moment.

In short - he'd probably be in the same position as he is in at GC.

Did play really well straight up at GC, but I guess the issue has never been whether he could play well, it's whether he can play well consistently at AFL level.

So Chol is proving to be a good deal because he is providing some great pressure from the VFL to keep a journeyman like Casboult at the top of his game….??

That’s one enormous clutching at straws ……

If Casboult is playing ahead of Chol then he’s not providing good value in 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So Chol is proving to be a good deal because he is providing some great pressure from the VFL to keep a journeyman like Casboult at the top of his game….??

That’s one enormous clutching at straws ……

If Casboult is playing ahead of Chol then he’s not providing good value in 2023.
No. He's providing good value because we gave up nothing to recruit him as a free agent, his contract is inexpensive and he stepped up in a year that we desperately needed him to. Chol isn't the first player to start well at a new club and then be kept out by a player that's a better fit for the team. Markov was the same in his first season when we really needed some run off the halfback line and he played most games in 2021. Then in 2022 he was kept out of the team by guys who stepped up like Weller/Powell so Markov moved on and has seemingly found a place at Collingwood. These things happen.

Chol is 26 so he's got time on his side and his main competition for a spot right now is a 33 year old Casboult. So you'd have to think it's pretty likely he ends up back in the team at some point over the next 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back