Tyson Stengle - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird thread bump at this juncture with Stengle in equal 83rd position on the goalkicking table.
There are roughly 40 small forwards and flankers who have kicked more goals than him in 2023.

42 C.Curnow
39 N.Larkey, J.Cameron
38 T.Walker
36 T.Greene
34 C.Cameron, T.Hawkins
33 O.Allen
32 J.Daniher, B.Mihocek
31 B.King
28 J.Finlayson
27 B.Fritsch
26 A.Naughton
25 J.Higgins, K.Langford
24 L.Breust, I.Rankine, J.Lukosius, J.Hogan
23 T.Papley, J.Amiss, J.Riewoldt
22 E.Hipwood
21 D.Butler, J.Stephenson, D.Fogarty, H.McKay, T.Marshall
20 M.Lewis
19 S.Bolton, K.Pickett, C.Weightman, M.Walters, O.Henry, C.Zurhaar
17 B.Hill, L.Schultz, B.Daniels, S.Powell-Pepper, J.Stringer, C.Dixon
16 Z.Bailey, J.Rachele, L.Pedlar, J.Ugle-Hagan, J.Van Rooyen, L.McDonald
15 A.Perkins, K.Chandler, J.Menzie, M.Owens
14 C.Rayner, W.Rioli, M.Owies, M.Frederick, A.Johnson
13 B.Close, G.Rohan, W.Hayward, D.Martin, T.Taranto, J.Riccardi, M.King, S.Weideman, R.Lobb, L.Jackson
12 A.Caminiti, S.Ryan, R.Thilthorpe, L.Franklin
11 L.McCarthy, J.Gresham, J.McEntee, C.Petracca, N.Daicos, B.McCreery, F.Greene, J.Gunston, J.Waterman, J.Darling, M.Cox
10 J.Elliott, T.Brockman, C.Durdin, C.Spargo, A.Neal-Bullen, J.Motlop, T.Stengle, X.O'Halloran, J.Clarke, I.Heeney, R.Mansell, B.Ainsworth, E.Gulden, C.Rozee, J.De Goey, B.Banfield, M.Wood, M.Bontempelli, H.Himmelberg, S.Draper, L.Casboult

Last edited:
Depends what you mean by miss, we won 3 flags without him, and adding him now probably doesn't significantly change our fortunes. Although he'd be in the team I'm not sure small forwards make massive differences overall, they're not exactly key chess pieces or the missing link adding another small forward to our team.

A KPF? Absolutely, but not a small forward type.
KPF such as Chol?
When I ask if Richmond miss Stengle, I'm referring to the quality player he's been since we recruited him, although I think he'd be the one that got away for Adelaide more so than Richmond.

Richmond don't seem to miss having Higgins and Butler, but would anyone say they miss having Stengle? After all Stengle is AA unlike Higgins and Butler, neither who have been AA.
Taper you cheeky bugger. Whose alias are you posting under to revive all these mischievous Richmond threads?

Taper you cheeky bugger. Whose alias are you posting under to revive all these mischievous Richmond threads?
Not sure what you mean but I searched for a Jack Higgins thread after the Richmond and St Kilda game on the weekend, and ended up finding this thread in the similar threads section at the bottom of the page.

Hmmm, on the face of it, looks a bad move by the Tigers to let Stengle go for a pick they didn’t ever use.

However…..it opened an extra list spot in in the 2018 off season.

Who filled that final list spot after being picked up as an SSP player?

This man:

And then another list spot opened up when Grigg retired mid season. That was filled by this dude:

Had we hung onto Stengle, then we don’t have a spot for Stack. Or had someone retired early enough for us to get Stack with their spot, we don’t get Pickett.

So there were benefits for the Tigers. Stengle is a smart little player, he doesn’t have the ability of the likes of Stack and Pickett though. 😁

To Be fair... you can watch that 2019 grand final again. I think Richmond wins the grand final regardless if Marlon Pickett played in that 2019 grand final or not.

I was sad that Alex Rance didnt as he did his knee at the start of that season. Fortunately he got a premiership medal in 2017.

Not sure what you mean but I searched for a Jack Higgins thread after the Richmond and St Kilda game on the weekend, and ended up finding this thread in the similar threads section at the bottom of the page.
Heh, sure. The last posts on these threads before your bumps suggests otherwise, and you knew exactly what you were looking for.

To Be fair... you can watch that 2019 grand final again. I think Richmond wins the grand final regardless if Marlon Pickett played in that 2019 grand final or not.

I was sad that Alex Rance didnt as he did his knee at the start of that season. Fortunately he got a premiership medal in 2017.
It was sad how Alex Rance never played again after doing his ACL. Best full back I've seen since Scarlett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back