Mabior Chol - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Accurate set shot? You sure about that?
He’s kicking at 66.7% this season.

Comparatively he’s as accurate as Bailey Fritsch and Jeremy Cameron who are also going at 66.7% and are notably good shots on goal. Of the players who have kicked more than him this season, he is more accurate this season than all of Charlie Curnow, Tom Hawkins, Aaron Naughton, Tom Lynch, and Max King.

Only 1.9% worse than Peter Wright at 68.6% who is also a notably good shot for goal.

So yes, he is an accurate set shot.

He is that weird sort of player who has an X-factor about him but is also a tall. He has been great for Sun this year. I am not sure if Richmond would necessarily be lamenting his departure,

I agree that he's the one that got away. Brisbane would be absolutely kicking themselves that they didn't draft Chol out of their academy in 2015. Would have been a helluva haul getting Hipwood, Chol and Keays out of their academy in the same draft class.

Newman, Grigg, Chaplin, McRae, Leppitsch, Conca, Jackson, Vickery, Derrickx, Stengle, Butler, Higgins, Lloyd, Miles, B Ellis, C Ellis, Markov, Dan Richardson, Cain Liddle, Coleman-Jones, Chol, Stengle, Deledio.

The 23 that got away. A whole team of them, including medi-sub. 😁.

If only you could keep them all. Damn.
I didn't realise Craig McRae and Justin Leppitsch played for Richmond...

Such a low intelligence take these comparisons.

Some players just don't suit the system of one side or the side was stacked with similar talent. Or the fresh start and new coaches inspired a run of form that would not have existed had they stayed.

Worthless conversation.

Not sure how you have come to this conclusion.

its a pretty straight forward realisation that Chol would have been replacing Riewoldt.

If Richmond had of had the hard conversation with Riewoldt at the end of 2021, then they probably would have been able to keep CCJ and Chol, as they both would have backed themselves in to take that spot.

As its turned out, their loyalty towards Riewoldt for one year has essentially cost them at a minimum 6 years of Chol.

Not sure how you have come to this conclusion.

its a pretty straight forward realisation that Chol would have been replacing Riewoldt.

If Richmond had of had the hard conversation with Riewoldt at the end of 2021, then they probably would have been able to keep CCJ and Chol, as they both would have backed themselves in to take that spot.

As its turned out, their loyalty towards Riewoldt for one year has essentially cost them at a minimum 6 years of Chol.

Probably because I am really bad at forming logical conclusions and shouldn't be allowed on the internet.

Equalization at its best with success comes sacrifice and salary cap , Draft order is designed to bring top teams back and bottom teams more competitive
Chol , CCj , Ellis , Butler , Higgins , Markov all offered better deals and more game time and move on.

The system is doing what its meant to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read an article this week stating that Chol may well be recruit of the year. There's every chance that Chol gets an AA guernsey this year and makes Richmond look even more foolish for getting rid of him.
How is a player leaving as a free agent the club getting rid of him? Richmond didn't want him to leave, but couldn't match the offer GC made. But Yeah, "Richmond look even more foolish for getting rid of him", just as foolish as GC did for "getting rid" of Lynch and every other free agent that a club has gotten rid of.

Is GC's best record against Richmond? A few times they've beaten them now from memory.

A sweet one too considering the tigers poached Prestia and Lynch of them, and Chol took some decent marks and kicked a few goals.
Looking at afltables, Gold Coast's 3rd best h2h is against us @ 5-7, after North (8-8) and Carlton (7-9), both of whom you'd say have been much worse off than us in the time since GC entered the league. So yeah, they've matched up well against us, in so much as they've matched up well against anybody. On the plus side I suppose apparently us and Collingwood are the only clubs GC haven't kicked 100+ points in a game against yet.

Along with Toby Green, the best player to watch in the competition.
Can't think of another player who moves the way this guy does.

I read an article this week stating that Chol may well be recruit of the year. There's every chance that Chol gets an AA guernsey this year and makes Richmond look even more foolish for getting rid of him.
LOL wut? Not even close to All Australian.

We also didn't get rid of him. GC tabled an offer we couldn't match and Chol couldn't refuse. He's still a bit lazy and laconic at times (See him jogging on the spot behind Draper in that goal of the year) but he has certainly improved his consistency.

We could use him right now as a 2nd ruck but I reckon Samson Ryan holds down that spot from next season anyway.

Chol was never going to do this at Richmond so it's not worth worrying about, some players need a change of environment.

The Suns are having arguably their best year since joining the competition and Both him & Casboult are having career best seasons it's not that surprising when you think of it.

Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves over letting this guy go. He kicked 3 goals on them today and would be their best key forward with Riewoldt near the end of his career and Lynch past his peak.

What do you guys think? Would Hardwick and co be spewing about losing Chol?
We didn't want to lose him at all, he got a better offer from GC and left brainiac.

Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves over letting this guy go. He kicked 3 goals on them today and would be their best key forward with Riewoldt near the end of his career and Lynch past his peak.

What do you guys think? Would Hardwick and co be spewing about losing Chol?
Maybe we should have overpaid him to stay, you know, like Collingwood did with managing their list. Then they were forced to have a fire sale. What a great idea that turned out to be! 🤭

Everyone would be happy for Chol. He showed some promise at the Tiges, but one always felt something was missing. A bit of grunt, or edge. He seems to float around laconically like Jack Thompson with those 2 sisters in their love nest, who he could never tell apart apart from the tiny hemmarhoid that Lisa allegedly endured for years back to the left.

I just reckon Chol could do with a bit of devil to add to his skills and athleticism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back