Jack Higgins - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Bolton was early in his career, but thankfully for him and the club it was stamped out. He does occasionally veer back into it, but for the most part it's under control now. He's also a gun.

Back to Higgins, again I think he believed a bit of the publicity about himself in 2018 and maybe thought it would all just happen. He can play, but he's not some superstar that was shafted by the club or anything.
What’s wrong with showboating or taunting the opposition? Builds character to games.

Geez soon the umpire will have a microphone and say quiet please to the crowd…

But how can you say Higgins was pushed out for being a showboat in 2020 when Bolton has done it worse less than 12 months ago? As if it’s something the “Richmond man” doesn’t do?

No way Bolton should’ve apologised fwiw. There will come a time where he will be made to look like a fool and we will all laugh, until then he is playing some great footy and he deserves to play the game in the way he wants. I’m not going to say I liked it with Doc being on the receiving end but I had no issue with it.
Do you think Butler should have been in the side ahead of Castagna?

at the time no. Butler was playing average in last season with Tigers, same with Higgins.

Castagna lost confidence in the end probably due to reading all his own fans taunts.

Rather have Castagna back than Butler or Higgins or Ellis.

Chol though…

What’s wrong with showboating or taunting the opposition? Builds character to games.

Geez soon the umpire will have a microphone and say quiet please to the crowd…
Would you be saying that if it were Jack Higgins showboating in the same manner that Shai Bolton did?

I lived during the Mark Jackson era…

Have no problems with it. If someone gets upset then whose problem is it? Bolton or the person that gets upset?
I've seen Richmond supporters express their dislike of the way Jack Higgins celebrates goals, or in other words, the way he showboats.

I've seen Richmond supporters express their dislike of the way Jack Higgins celebrates goals, or in other words, the way he showboats.
I’m not one of them.

Sure it’s irritating at the time, but that’s the point of it all - to irritate opposition and fans.

Brings back character to the game which is less and less seen these days….

What’s the point with X the one that got away. Why have 3 different posts about it merge em lol. It’s not like they are the best players at their current clubs.
It give oppositions supporters a chance to celebrate out superior recruiting …
Because they know we can’t keep them all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On topic, Jack Higgins had the chance to get his side back in the game at vital moments in the last two weeks and fluffed relatively straightforward shots at goal.

He’s definitely ‘on’ when the side is going well.

On topic, Jack Higgins had the chance to get his side back in the game at vital moments in the last two weeks and fluffed relatively straightforward shots at goal.

He’s definitely ‘on’ when the side is going well.
Max King burning him when Higgins was goalside of his opponent didn't help.

I agree … people speculating about someone’s character like they even know the bloke based on whether he has left your club or come to your club. The fact is that due to illness and Richmond being a pretty handy side back in 2019 and 2020, opportunities were limited for Higgins and at that stage George, D. Rioli & Bolton were all preferred small forward options ahead of him so he sought a trade to the club he rabidly supported growing up and Richmond sympathised with him and didn’t stand in his way.

Personally, I wouldn’t read a lot into the fact that a few of the Richmond players were getting into Higgins and not Dan Butler … Dan has also being a quiet, more introverted personality whilst Higgo is an energizer-bunny that never shuts up and therefore more likely to engage in some trash talk which is no big deal … I actually wish Higgins well – he’s a very good player that we unfortunately lost primarily for being such a strong side. That’s the way the system works.
Classy post. Are you sure you’re in the right place!?

[/QUOTE]
I agree … people speculating about someone’s character like they even know the bloke based on whether he has left your club or come to your club. The fact is that due to illness and Richmond being a pretty handy side back in 2019 and 2020, opportunities were limited for Higgins and at that stage George, D. Rioli & Bolton were all preferred small forward options ahead of him so he sought a trade to the club he rabidly supported growing up and Richmond sympathised with him and didn’t stand in his way.

Personally, I wouldn’t read a lot into the fact that a few of the Richmond players were getting into Higgins and not Dan Butler … Dan has also being a quiet, more introverted personality whilst Higgo is an energizer-bunny that never shuts up and therefore more likely to engage in some trash talk which is no big deal … I actually wish Higgins well – he’s a very good player that we unfortunately lost primarily for being such a strong side. That’s the way the system works.
Butler still has mates at the club and was recently at a function.

Higgins I think couldn’t stay with us after those Rance rumours persisted.

It’s kind of strangely coincidental how both Rance and Higgins really don’t have an affiliation with the rest of the playing group after that chatter started.

Life’s more important than footy though and it seems they are both in good places now.

Butler still has mates at the club and was recently at a function.

Higgins I think couldn’t stay with us after those Rance rumours persisted.

It’s kind of strangely coincidental how both Rance and Higgins really don’t have an affiliation with the rest of the playing group after that chatter started.

Life’s more important than footy though and it seems they are both in good places now.

Wrong. Alex Rance still has a very strong affiliation with the current Richmond playing group and is at all of their functions. Not sure where you're getting your info from.

Coterie group.
Rance is at none of the functions. What’s your source.
1638180693734-png.1289550

2019 team reunion Nov 2021.

Alex present. As is Dan.

Jack H not.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back