Jack Higgins - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is CCJ?
Callum Colmen Jones the next Carey at North Melbourne.
While you're at it with numerous Tiger threads about players leaving Richmond. Perhaps you can make ones for Luke McGuane, Tyrone Vickory, Richard Tambling & Rohin Nahas.
I will take 3 premierships anyday of the week & twice over if its sacrificing fridge players at the time like Higgins, Butler, Chol & Stengle.
If you're trying to get negative reactions from Tiger supporters with these ridiculous hindsight threads then it's clearly the wrong club to pick 😊

Never ever felt the “ wish we kept this bloke” for Higgins. He does some good things but I just don’t think he’s a good consistently player and more importantly a team player. Dan Butler on the other hand I always bleed that we let him go. Always rated him as the best small forward out of the trio we won the flag in 17 with.

Never ever felt the “ wish we kept this bloke” for Higgins. He does some good things but I just don’t think he’s a good consistently player and more importantly a team player. Dan Butler on the other hand I always bleed that we let him go. Always rated him as the best small forward out of the trio we won the flag in 17 with.
Higgins was probably the unluckiest Richmond player from that era to have missed out on a premiership medal.

Higgins can play alright but he was not getting a game for us. Were were suitably compensated for trading him, and Richmond would not be bothered one bit about him leaving.
How come the Richmond players don't like Higgins? I know Higgins had his brain injury and then struggled to break back into the team but what's the story with Richmond players not liking him?

How come the Richmond players don't like Higgins? I know Higgins had his brain injury and then struggled to break back into the team but what's the story with Richmond players not liking him?

There have been rumours they found him annoying when he was at the club. It would likely just be something along those lines, or maybe he was just being a pain in the neck last night in the match and they had enough of it. Richmond players usually just focus 100% on trying to do their role in the team and don't normally worry about opponents too much. But I don't think there is any great hidden reason why they don't like Higgins.

Have heard different accounts. Most of them say Higgins apparently had a sense of entitlement. A lot of players felt betrayed that the club stuck with him through his surgeries and rehab and then he cracked the shits that he wasn't getting game time (Due to a lack of defensive accountability) or had the desire to work towards winning a spot and took the easy way out.

Others accounts are he was irritating and goofed around so often that a lot of players thought he was either taking the piss or couldn't take anything too seriously.

I noticed last night that Richmond don't seem to miss having Higgins in their team. The Richmond players certainly don't like him.
I mentioned similar in our gameday thread for the game, we have a fair few ex tigers around the league who have left for all kinds of reasons

When we go up against them our boys tend to go hard but in the same way two mates who play for different footy sides in local leagues go hard against each other but also give the odd head rub and help each other up with cheeky smiles

But Higgins is the outlier a lot of the Richmond boys seem to genuinely not like him and play with a lot of aggression towards him and a lot of heated verbal exchanges even from guys like Nank and Grimes who are our captains and very out of character for them

Definitely some bad blood
As others have mentioned a few stories about arrogance or “walking out” on the club instead of putting the work in but nothing concrete to go off

Would be great to get some more context around it all at some point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t know what is it but to me both Higgins and Butler look like they lost that humorous happy go lucky attitude they had at the Tigers. I reckon they are bitter at our club for various reasons. St Kilda in general are aggressive towards us as well, don’t know why.

Don’t know what is it but to me both Higgins and Butler look like they lost that humorous happy go lucky attitude they had at the Tigers. I reckon they are bitter at our club for various reasons. St Kilda in general are aggressive towards us as well, don’t know why.

Saints never forgiven us for turning Vic Thorp into an all-timer after they rejected him for some absolutely unknowable reason in 1908. And then they got even more filthy on us when we gave them Billy Barrot and took Ian Stewart at a point where Billy was shall we say, not functioning at his brilliant best. But what really cut them up was when in his first 8 weeks playing for Richmond, in the space of 7 days during September 2019, Marlion Pickett won twice as many VFL/AFL flags as the St Kilda senior team had managed in over 150 years of history. That was the final straw for the hapless Saints.

Butler was having a laugh with our blokes, even during play at stages. Not so much Higglet.

Saints never forgiven us for turning Vic Thorp into an all-timer after they rejected him for some absolutely unknowable reason in 1908. And then they got even more filthy on us when we gave them Billy Barrot and took Ian Stewart at a point where Billy was shall we say, not functioning at his brilliant best. But what really cut them up was when in his first 8 weeks playing for Richmond, in the space of 7 days during September 2019, Marlion Pickett won twice as many VFL/AFL flags as the St Kilda senior team had managed in over 150 years of history. That was the final straw for the hapless Saints.

Butler was having a laugh with our blokes, even during play at stages. Not so much Higglet.

I guess they had one year (24 September 1966 - 23 September 1967) 0f taunting poor long time suffering Richmond supporters . Saying things like Tigers being an insignificant club and the Saints dynasty will easily equal Richmond 5 Premierships before the Tigers next one, bla bla bla. Silenced in 1967 and 20+ years later the Tigers doubled their tally.

They couldn’t even win a Premiershp in the next Tigers hibernation of nearly 40 years. This time however the Saints replacement was the club also on 1 Premiership - the Bulldogs - that rose to prominence in 2016. I remember some Bulldog mate telling me in 2016 what a joke of a club Richmond was despite past success.. bla bla bla… shut his mouth in 2017… but at least the Bulldogs got one more than the Saints now.

So saints fans still have Fremantle, Gold Coast and GWS to feel superior to.

As for myself - if Richmond goes into another hibernation now, I’ll need to train, eat my vitamins and say my prayers to see our next Premiership ;)

No chance is he one that got away, we are better without him.
You can say he was unlucky the first time, but when you miss out on two potential flags it's not luck.
Caddy missed out on one of the flags too we had good depth during that time & other players were in front of Higgins.

This was our Grand Final line-up for 2020 who are you honestly taking out to put Higgins in?

Bolton who was one of our best on the night? Castagna who was up & going?

Last edited:
Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. He is an absolute jet who has become a key cog in St Kilda's team and is a criminally underrated player. I firmly believe Richmond would still be contending had they kept Higgins.

What do you guys think? Do you think Richmond are shattered Higgins left them?
Thing about Higgins is that he will work hard and extract the most out his talent

Problem is, he is a tad slow, not a great kick, and is a pain in the ar@e

so, no Richmond don’t miss him, in fact he left on bad terms, basically the opposite of Butler

I mentioned similar in our gameday thread for the game, we have a fair few ex tigers around the league who have left for all kinds of reasons

When we go up against them our boys tend to go hard but in the same way two mates who play for different footy sides in local leagues go hard against each other but also give the odd head rub and help each other up with cheeky smiles

But Higgins is the outlier a lot of the Richmond boys seem to genuinely not like him and play with a lot of aggression towards him and a lot of heated verbal exchanges even from guys like Nank and Grimes who are our captains and very out of character for them

Definitely some bad blood
As others have mentioned a few stories about arrogance or “walking out” on the club instead of putting the work in but nothing concrete to go off

Would be great to get some more context around it all at some point
We just don’t know from the outside looking in, but Higgins looks like someone easily misunderstood because he expresses himself differently to the average player. Could it be that our players just didn’t understand him, which then made him leave because he felt uncomfortable? I’ve had that worry even when he played for us.

I’m not saying this to say our players wronged him while he was with us btw, but I think Higgins being misunderstood is plausible. There are plenty of people that are disliked by a group when the person did nothing wrong to them other than just being themselves. Sometimes, a person is just not a good match in character to the group they’re in and it may not necessarily be that person’s fault.

Higgins just doesn’t strike me as an arsehole tbh. He’s just looks like a passionate guy that probably would’ve left to St Kilda the moment he could (I mean, he grew up supporting them and even did work experience with Jade Gresham lol).

This is just an alternate theory to him acting arrogant and entitled at Richmond.

We just don’t know from the outside looking in, but Higgins looks like someone easily misunderstood because he expresses himself differently to the average player. Could it be that our players just didn’t understand him, which then made him leave because he felt uncomfortable? I’ve had that worry even when he played for us.

I’m not saying this to say our players wronged him while he was with us btw, but I think Higgins being misunderstood is plausible. There are plenty of people that are disliked by a group when the person did nothing wrong to them other than just being themselves. Sometimes, a person is just not a good match in character to the group they’re in and it may not necessarily be that person’s fault.

Higgins just doesn’t strike me as an arsehole tbh. He’s just looks like a passionate guy that probably would’ve left to St Kilda the moment he could (I mean, he grew up supporting them and even did work experience with Jade Gresham lol).

This is just an alternate theory to him acting arrogant and entitled at Richmond.

Everybody is happy that Higgins left

Higgins, the Saints and Richmond

A rare win win win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back