Traded Jacob Hopper [Trade with #53, #63 to Richmond for #31 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care if he is in contract or not Hopper is worth less than Taranto.
Now that we have Tim Taranto done, I can live with us not getting Hopper done.
Pick #30 & a future first round pick seems like a fair deal for what he has achieved.

If it doesn't happen it's no loss we use the money next year to have another crack at Tom Green.

Pick #30 & a future first round pick seems like a fair deal for what he has achieved.

F1 and #31 is the best picks Richmond can offer, it's up to GWS to think it's acceptable but it's the best the Tigers can do without players moving.

Soldo is BOG average. Anyone who rates him better than that can keep him.
As for Hopper, thanks for chasing the dollars.
That decision alone took us 2 a position of strength going forward.
#HappyDaysOnBlueBerryHill
As for the Giants. 2 decent first rounders or one in the single digits.
If not walk away he’s still under contract. We did it with Kelly and worked out fine.

Last edited:
Not at $700-$750k / year.

How much extra per year is it worth to not have to trade for him? When you know they won't match because you don't have a top five draft pick?

You'd be buying your own first round pick for $500,000 spread over five years. That's a great deal.

Geelong just bought a top ten pick for $1,600,000

Williams got 900k, you need to find someone to pay that.

If it’s the 750k we’re offering him then that’s probably end of round 1.
Reports that he got 800-900k. Who knows the actual figure but it’s not far off Richmond reported 750k for Hopper.

If a trade to Richmond isn’t done though, he won’t go to Richmond under free agency.

If it doesn't happen it's no loss we use the money next year to have another crack at Tom Green.

Problem I see with this is every year counts for us now. The idea of brining these two in would be to take us back to top four and contention. I’m not sure just one mid gets that done. If you waste another year bringing someone in then our window is a year closer to closing.

Reports that he got 800-900k. Who knows the actual figure but it’s not far off Richmond reported 750k for Hopper.

If a trade to Richmond isn’t done though, he won’t go to Richmond under free agency.

Not far off isn’t the same figure though. McStay gets 650k and that’s band 3.

Like I said you probably need to find to find someone to pay in the Williams salary vicinity to get band 1.

I don’t think we get him as a FA either, just that if he only gets 750k I’d say it’s probably band 2 compo as it roughly splits McStay and Williams salaries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CCJ has currency because he's young and is capable of playing forward and ruck. Teams will bet on a 22 year-old-forward/ruck that was drafted highly. It might be a bad bet, it might be a good bet, but his age and skillset means he's more valuable than Soldo. Teams will look for upside especially if they're struggling. Ask yourself if any team would do a straight swap for Soldo for CCJ.

Soldo is worth a third rounder in my eyes. He's valuable in that he plays a position which can be hard to fill in the draft but he's an immobile and fairly unskilled ruck which is a dinosaur in the modern AFL.

I think a future first, 30 and Soldo (who I'd rate around 40s-50s) is a bargain for Hopper. You're effectively paying pick seven and Soldo for Hopper. Richmond paid much more for Prestia. Surely there's more legs to this.

Prestia deal was
Prestia + 24 for 6 and future 2nd (became 38)

Obviously there was questions over what the F2 would be worth, but it ends up being worth ~pick 10 by the points (Suns might have thought the F2 would be more valuable, and points seem to undervalue high picks though, so perhaps this was considered to be more like 9, maybe even 8 in real value).

F1 + 30 + player would be worth more than Prestia by the points, although in 'real value', it's probably pretty similar.

Agree.
If we have to walk away from the deal because GWS want more, we can't really blame ourselves. We can't be committed to the trade at any cost, just because we've committed to Hopper. By that logic GWS could ask for anything from us. If that's the price we think is fair, take it or leave it. We can mutually walk away from the deal if the parties don't agree.

This crap around FA Compo bands is exactly why the AFL needs to show some integrity and be transparent about their alleged formula. They have openly stated there's some 'discretion' from them in there also which basically means the system is open to manipulation and it's unfair.

At this stage I am convinced there's a formula that guides compensation and then the AFL just uses their discretion to suit their own agenda - whether it be expansion goals, equalisation or something 'romantic' (ie Abblett).

Brandon Ellis $600k x 5 years, band 3. AFL discretion likely bumps this down due to strong/successful club.
Dan McStay $600-650k x 5 years, band 3. AFL discretion likely bumps this down due to strong/successful club.

If Hopper is being offered $700k more or less you'd think band 2, which is end of first round, however the AFL will probably use their discretion (struggling expansion club/equalisation) to bump this up to band 1 so the pick would be anywhere realistically from 5-10?

For Hopper to warrant objective band one compo you'd be thinking his contract would have to be $800-900k or more surely.

Regardless, can GWS afford to keep him one more year? Do they want a player who has asked for a trade out? Would they be better off saving the cap space, recruiting a depth ruck (Soldo) and getting two picks around #31 and 2023 probably you'd think 7-12 as I imagine RFC will be in the middle 6.

This crap around FA Compo bands is exactly why the AFL needs to show some integrity and be transparent about their alleged formula. They have openly stated there's some 'discretion' from them in there also which basically means the system is open to manipulation and it's unfair.

At this stage I am convinced there's a formula that guides compensation and then the AFL just uses their discretion to suit their own agenda - whether it be expansion goals, equalisation or something 'romantic' (ie Abblett).

Brandon Ellis $600k x 5 years, band 3. AFL discretion likely bumps this down due to strong/successful club.
Dan McStay $600-650k x 5 years, band 3. AFL discretion likely bumps this down due to strong/successful club.

If Hopper is being offered $700k more or less you'd think band 2, which is end of first round, however the AFL will probably use their discretion (struggling expansion club/equalisation) to bump this up to band 1 so the pick would be anywhere realistically from 5-10?

For Hopper to warrant objective band one compo you'd be thinking his contract would have to be $800-900k or more surely.

Regardless, can GWS afford to keep him one more year? Do they want a player who has asked for a trade out? Would they be better off saving the cap space, recruiting a depth ruck (Soldo) and getting two picks around #31 and 2023 probably you'd think 7-12 as I imagine RFC will be in the middle 6.
First two deals worth $3m.
Hoppers worth over $5m
Huge difference.

Ellis - 29
McStay - 27
Hopper - 25

Age is a factor.

We are getting band 1 next year if he stays. Could easily be a top 5 pick.

Soldo is BOG average. Anyone who rates him better than that can keep him.
As for Hopper, thanks for chasing the dollars.
That decision alone took us 2 a position of strength going forward.
#HappyDaysOnBlueBerryHill
As for the Giants. 2 decent first rounders or one in the single digits.
If not walk away he’s still under contract. We did it with Kelly and worked out fine.

1665034911904.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back