Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tex and Misiti side by side is a weird juxtaposition. Misiti looks like a bonafide unit and Tex looks like he's entering middle school.
So did his dad Gavin, but what a player!

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

(I’m not sure if this is going to work but 7 min video of the boys training. Good little
Insight.

Sounds like Hird Jnr is a real little goer whilst Josh does sound like Jobe 2.0 (thanks for the name BrunoV)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex Wanganeen out with a stress fracture injury until August. Really disappointing for the young fella in his draft year.

Upside though; sounds like he made some good friendships with the other father-sons and was impressed with the professionalism of the organisation.

It might actually be a good thing.

If he wants a career he can get himself fit, go and play footy out of the spotlight next year, as an overage player in the TAC cup or in one of the second tier comps. Develop a game and if we then have to fight with Port or he costs too much, so be it. Even prior to the injury he was a mile off where he needed to be in January of a year in which he was hoping to be drafted.

It's something I wish had happened with Long. He didn't arrive as a player with any real identity because he had hardly played and he often played like he was caught between instinct, to run and take the game on, which he never really developed, and all of the rules and regulations of footy in this era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, I remember Ken Timms. (Unfortunate only for the implications about my age.)
If I remember correctly, he started as a key forward and then became a full back. Early 60s I think. I remember him as a good player, not a star, but the sort of player who was picked every week while he was in his prime.
I could google it I suppose (and probably will after posting this), but it's more enjoyable trying to remember and then finding out how far out my memory was.
I'm going to estimate his playing career was 1961 to 1964 (playing full back after Paul Doran retired and going through until Greg Brown took over as full back).

This from australianfootbal.com player bios -
"Essendon recruited Ken Timms from North Essendon Methodists and he commenced with the thirds in 1953, winning a best and fairest award at that level two years later. For a time he struggled to break into the Bombers’ league side, in part because of a leg injury sustained in 1957, which was the year he made his senior debut. Initially used as a ruck-rover he would go on to produce serviceable football at full back, as a knock ruckman and as a strong marking, straight kicking forward.

A Victorian interstate representative four times in 1962 and 1963 the undoubted highlight of Timms’ career came in 1962 when he was a ruckman changing in the forward pocket in Essendon’s grand final defeat of Carlton.

Ken Timms retired in 1965 after he failed to gain selection in Essendon’s grand final team against St Kilda. All told, he had played 134 VFL games and kicked 112 goals in the famous black and red jumper. He later captain-coached both Colac and South Warrnambool and helped the Hampden Football League to triumphs in the Victorian Country Championships in 1967 and 1969."

My memory wasn't too bad after all. I only started following Essendon in 1960 (aged 7) so I didn't realise he played before 1961.
They were the good old days when most of the players on a team's list (certainly true for us anyway) came from the local area and the Essendon District league was very strong.

My memory is a little hazy, what with the passing of time and all, but I distinctly remember Ken Timms, he wore an onion on his belt, which was the style of the time.

I've heard of him but too young to see him play.

I know he came from Ringwood.
I remember as a kid in the "inner" at Windy hill there was a guy who seemed to sit behind us every home game and when Robin Close would kick a point he would always say " close but not quite". Every week same joke. I think he borrowed it from Get Smart but he was a one trick pony.

I remember as a kid in the "inner" at Windy hill there was a guy who seemed to sit behind us every home game and when Robin Close would kick a point he would always say " close but not quite". Every week same joke. I think he borrowed it from Get Smart but he was a one trick pony.
I love poor jokes repeated for so long that the whole thing becomes kind of funny and I love the people who will just stick to their guns and put their mates through this kind of pain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back