Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that we don't have Alessio training with us at the moment considering he is the same age as the Davey boys and he played a game for Calder Cannons last year as an under-ager.

I recall Hird, Wanganeen, Moore and Misiti did last year when they were the corresponding age.
The Davey twins are more likely to be taken high than Alessio including a couple of other NGA players in Rode and Egan who also haven’t been invited to train.

The combination of indigenous skill and flair in a package of the size and apparent power of Munkara is almost a guaranteed recipe for an all time great.

I suspect the only question that currently stands is how high the pick we will use needs to be.

If he's a live pick based on his 2022 do not be surprised if we drop our first round pick on him regardless

The list is starting to take the sort of shape that would justify a more speculative selection or, if a tall forward is a real area of need, we could trade into debt.

The clubs take who they like not based on a pre-ordained list of objective quality.. While it would be nice to be able to take him late enough for NGA to be a factor it's ultimately irrelevant.

Not necessarily. We are allowed to select him with a draft pick.
Most likely though. With at least one of the Davey's likely to be bid on before our second pick, unless we take him with our first (he isn't in eDPS's top 20 at this stage) our second "live" pick probably doesn't come into play until after 40 anyway

Most likely though. With at least one of the Davey's likely to be bid on before our second pick, unless we take him with our first (he isn't in eDPS's top 20 at this stage) our second "live" pick probably doesn't come into play until after 40 anyway
A lot to play out.

Munkara could just easily be picked above both daveys by end of year, as he would be below 40.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on Munkara. He has a few tricks and breakaway speed but he can also turn the footy over a lot. Right now I do not see him as top 20 but he is the type that could easily go in the second round.

Just on Munkara. He has a few tricks and breakaway speed but he can also turn the footy over a lot. Right now I do not see him as top 20 but he is the type that could easily go in the second round.

Guy I speak to regularly up north says he (Munkara) has stood out in a lower standard of footy. With the move to South Australia and a better standard of footy, it's expected he improves substantially but doubtful it's inside the top 40.

Guy I speak to regularly up north says he (Munkara) has stood out in a lower standard of footy. With the move to South Australia and a better standard of footy, it's expected he improves substantially but doubtful it's inside the top 40.

I've played with and against (and have observed) almost every Northern Territory draftee over the past 15 years. Munkara has the talent and potential to be as good as any of them. A genuine top-10 or top-15 selection if he has a good 2022. If the draft was right now, I think he goes somewhere between 15 - 30. If he "improves substantially" the sky is the limit.

I've played with and against (and have observed) almost every Northern Territory draftee over the past 15 years. Munkara has the talent and potential to be as good as any of them. A genuine top-10 or top-15 selection if he has a good 2022. If the draft was right now, I think he goes somewhere between 15 - 30. If he "improves substantially" the sky is the limit.
So as I said right now second round. :)

is there a process or is he lost to you if ends up being a high pick?

I may be wrong but my understanding is if a bid comes in the first 40 he goes wherever he is drafted and we cannot match. Similar to how Mac Andrew would have gone to Melbourne under the old system

I may be wrong but my understanding is if a bid comes in the first 40 he goes wherever he is drafted and we cannot match. Similar to how Mac Andrew would have gone to Melbourne under the old system
Melbourne were stuffed over Andrew. The year the rule comes in makes it arbitrary but still rough.
Apparently they had been working with him since he was 10 and they were a huge reason he developed as well as he did.

That is the sort of player a club should get access to, as opposed to the cherry picking of Ugle-Hagan, Thomas or Quaynor who were always going to make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back