News Jeff Kennett to stand down at the end of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

I tell you what, there better be a lot of grooming and mentoring going on for his successor, can not have another Garvey situation where we basically stood in the corner and were not heard or spoken to by the AFL. People who criticise Jeff do me in, this guy goes into bat for our club harder and more aggressive than any president we have had including Dicker (who was a genius).

Are there any rumours who is putting there hand up?
I’m sure Jeff mentioned someone at the AGM last year, but the name escapes me

Who is Vice President atm, more than likely that is your next Pres

I’m sure Jeff mentioned someone at the AGM last year, but the name escapes me

Who is Vice President atm, more than likely that is your next Pres

We need someone with a public profile.

Sounds a bit left field but I would love Andrew Gaze to be involved at the club, even for his sporting experience and profile, he is a great Aussie.

We need someone with a public profile.

Sounds a bit left field but I would love Andrew Gaze to be involved at the club, even for his sporting experience and profile, he is a great Aussie.
Hey congrats on your 17th Big Footy birthday / Anniversary for yesterday.

Seventeen seasons of Big Footy is madness.

cake.gif

Huge time for our club.

Dingley
Tasmania deal
Pokies.

All three are enormous decisions/projects facing the club over the next 5 years.

We will miss Jeff as his ability to lobby government parties and negotiate has been crucial.

Our next President and CEO need to be aligned and strapped in for a tough gig.

I heard that in November last year Kennett also got the AFL to declare the 2019 season ended and declare Richmond the winner of the GF. Well done Jeff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Hawks have only 3 Sunday afternoon home games this year and play on Thursday, Friday or Saturday night 8 times.

commercially it’s a massive win, it’s also great that our 1st Sunday home game is round 1 against the Lions.. Round 1 always brings the fans, we really should get 50k which would give the Sunday time slot a little more positivity for the club.

Jeff gets the credit for their work and none of the blame for getting Garvey on the board.

He gets credit for things Dicker did.

People brush of the terrible s**t he says because Hawthorn and act like everything that happens while he is in the general vicinity is because of him.
Suspect you’re letting your personal distaste for the guy get in the way of facts there.

I don’t love Jeff as a person and disagree with many things he says. He rightfully cops criticism for that when it happens.

But as a president of the club, he has done an excellent job. Yes he took over a club in a good position from Dicker but he could hardly be accused of dropping the ball during his first stint and the successor he trained in Newbold saw a seamless handover followed by incredible success.

The Garvey presidency and CEO debacle had nothing to do with Kennett. Garvey being on the board wasn’t the problem. Garvey being president was. That blame lies with Newbold and the board well after Jeff left.

Jeff RE entered as president at an important time while the club was in transition after onfield success and had made some poor decisions and had some other stuff outside of its control go wrong (ie that Sprakes pedo bloke).

In his second stint he has steadied the ship. Handover is important but he’s been a very good president.

Suspect you’re letting your personal distaste for the guy get in the way of facts there.

I don’t love Jeff as a person and disagree with many things he says. He rightfully cops criticism for that when it happens.

But as a president of the club, he has done an excellent job. Yes he took over a club in a good position from Dicker but he could hardly be accused of dropping the ball during his first stint and the successor he trained in Newbold saw a seamless handover followed by incredible success.

The Garvey presidency and CEO debacle had nothing to do with Kennett. Garvey being on the board wasn’t the problem. Garvey being president was. That blame lies with Newbold and the board well after Jeff left.

Jeff RE entered as president at an important time while the club was in transition after onfield success and had made some poor decisions and had some other stuff outside of its control go wrong (ie that Sprakes pedo bloke).

In his second stint he has steadied the ship. Handover is important but he’s been a very good president.

Every part of your post is spot on, especially your opening line

Yeah I'd completely forgotten about the Newbold to Garvey hand over.
Jeff was the one who invited Garvey onto the board in the first place cut you are correct he didn't make him president.

I wouldn't see he's completely blameless but I did overstate his level of responsibility.

You're right that I don't like him. I dont think he's a good person or lives the values he says he and the club support.

I'm looking forward to seeing the back of him and the cult of Jeff rah rah that follows him around on these boards.

I'm looking forward to seeing the back of him and the cult of Jeff rah rah that follows him around on these boards.
Disappointing to hear you bagging our great President for all he's done for our club, i gather you don't like Trump either ;)

Disappointing to hear you bagging our great President for all he's done for our club, i gather you don't like Trump either ;)
I'm not bagging him for what he's done for our club.
I question whether everything he is given credit for is his achievements.
I don't find the good he has done to be enough when I compare it to everything else he has done.

Don't even get me started on Trump.

I'm not bagging him for what he's done for our club.
I question whether everything he is given credit for is his achievements.
I don't find the good he has done to be enough when I compare it to everything else he has done.

Don't even get me started on Trump.
From a Hawthorn perspective I can’t really understand that. It’s pretty clear you’re just applying your thoughts on the person, not his performance or legacy at the club.

I don’t disagree with you that personally Jeff - and many things about him - do not sit well with me. But there have been plenty of champion players at our club (and others of course) who weren’t the greatest people either and their football legacy is their legacy.

When measuring Kennett purely as a Hawthorn president and his impact and legacy on a footy club I love, it’s hard to argue that he has been anything other than a very significant and positive figure at the club.

And I’m sure my thoughts on Trump are the same as yours btw...

Didn't Kennett come up with the five2fifty plan? And we exceeded his membership expectations?

I think his internal relationship with Clarkson was a lot stronger than the media portrayed it too. Yes he sometimes said the wrong things off the cuff but he knows how to set a direction and a clear goal and orient an organisation towards that. The fact we got him back when we looked wobbly after Gaudry says volumes about how we rate his leadership too.

Didn't Kennett come up with the five2fifty plan? And we exceeded his membership expectations?

I think his internal relationship with Clarkson was a lot stronger than the media portrayed it too. Yes he sometimes said the wrong things off the cuff but he knows how to set a direction and a clear goal and orient an organisation towards that. The fact we got him back when we looked wobbly after Gaudry says volumes about how we rate his leadership too.
Jeff may have presided over the club at the time of Five2Fifty, but (without knowing for sure) I can all but guarantee that the Board & other members of the Club were involved in conceptualizing that target & definitely in delivering it.

One dude can't just decide it & force others to achieve it (well Gil could, but not in a real world scenario...).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back