News Jeff Kennett to stand down at the end of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeff Kennett has informed the Hawthorn board that he will be leaving his position at the end of 2020.

"I've informed the board, so yes, this will be my last year as president," Kennett told News Corp.

"I never intended to come back, but I was asked to by the board because of what had happened with the mess up over the former CEO (Tracey Gaudry) and to re-right the ship.

I will have done nine years (over two terms) and I only intended ever to do six. It's time for others to continue to build."

Whilst he's said some very questionable things in the past, what he's done for our club is incredible so hopefully, we can win him one more flag as a parting gift for all that he's done for our club.

Last edited:

As foreshadowed when he came back, he was only going on for the three year term.

Where is the successor? If they had one, surely they'd have been announced by now. Jeff did say he wanted to do a 12 month handover with the successor.

Did GHarris reject the role? Next best option Radek Sali?

As foreshadowed when he came back, he was only going on for the three year term.

Where is the successor? If they had one, surely they'd have been announced by now. Jeff did say he wanted to do a 12 month handover with the successor.

Sali, ex CEO of Swiss. Sold his share for $500m.
Is he VP at present?

I think finding the right successor is JK's greatest requirement and possible success.
Tassie has stayed a mess. The women's game has gained no traction. Our venture to Dingley has dragged and remains foggy for most of us, and little in the way of growing our brand or business has taken place...
However, there have been zero waves to a ship that Jeff steers so commandingly, the list has been rejuventated, the staff exodus has seemingly turned to a positive with the re-introduction of Sam and other motivated coaches, no player discontent has arisen, Clarko hasn't needed to deal with too much distraction, membership has continued to grow, and you'd have to say we are better placed now to make a new push for on field success than has seemed likely for 4 or so years.
The board did not seem to have the stomach to take the time and accountability to find a new leader with the failure of Gaudry and I think looked for the easiest handpass of that responsibility. Fortunately for us, Jeff was quite happy to accept the offload and work towards a re-build. No question he's put his heart and body on the line for us.

If he can find a new pilot who has as much nerve but perhaps greater finesse and more successful strategies, I'll be quietly overjoyed at his tenure.

I think finding the right successor is JK's greatest requirement and possible success.
Tassie has stayed a mess. The women's game has gained no traction. Our venture to Dingley has dragged and remains foggy for most of us, and little in the way of growing our brand or business has taken place...
However, there have been zero waves to a ship that Jeff steers so commandingly, the list has been rejuventated, the staff exodus has seemingly turned to a positive with the re-introduction of Sam and other motivated coaches, no player discontent has arisen, Clarko hasn't needed to deal with too much distraction, membership has continued to grow, and you'd have to say we are better placed now to make a new push for on field success than has seemed likely for 4 or so years.
The board did not seem to have the stomach to take the time and accountability to find a new leader with the failure of Gaudry and I think looked for the easiest handpass of that responsibility. Fortunately for us, Jeff was quite happy to accept the offload and work towards a re-build. No question he's put his heart and body on the line for us.

If he can find a new pilot who has as much nerve but perhaps greater finesse and more successful strategies, I'll be quietly overjoyed at his tenure.
Garvey was a poor choice last time, we can't make the same mistake again

Jeff to join the tassie for afl bid? I find it strange he doesn’t want to be involved with that at all, either inside the hawks or outside. It’s his passion

Personally, I would more than happy if he was glued on like Eddie. Sense he may be ready to hang up his boots though.
I get it but also quite a strength of our club to have consistency *and* change in our leadership - difficult to manage but even with the odd bump we’ve been able to do it consistently since defeating the merger.

I get it but also quite a strength of our club to have consistency *and* change in our leadership - difficult to manage but even with the odd bump we’ve been able to do it consistently since defeating the merger.
True. Still nervous after the last fiasco. Not sure what the succession plan is this time around. Is there one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time he was President his choice for replacement wasn't great.

We were also lucky he didn't fire Clarko *cough* I mean demote him to Box Hill *cough* last time prior to the threepeat.

I hope we end up with a stronger board CEO and president combination than last time.

Last time he was President his choice for replacement wasn't great.

We were also lucky he didn't fire Clarko *cough* I mean demote him to Box Hill *cough* last time prior to the threepeat.

I hope we end up with a stronger board CEO and president combination than last time.

Not a fan of Andrew Newbold or Stuart Fox? One is now on the commission, the other is the MCC boss. Arguably our most successful president and ceo duo.

Not a fan of Andrew Newbold or Stuart Fox? One is now on the commission, the other is the MCC boss. Arguably our most successful president and ceo duo.
Jeff gets the credit for their work and none of the blame for getting Garvey on the board.

He gets credit for things Dicker did.

People brush of the terrible s**t he says because Hawthorn and act like everything that happens while he is in the general vicinity is because of him.

When Kennett first became club president he said in his first letter to members that we would 'hardly hear from him'.

Here's to a new chapter.

I liked Jeff as a president. I understand that he made errors and that he rubs some up the wrong way, but ultimately he has done well for us since he stepped back in the role.

Reeves was a fantastic appointment as CEO. The makeup of our board is solid, which has a great combination of people from fantastic backgrounds; education, football, public service, business. We've had no trouble bringing impressive individuals into our coaching ranks.

The list turnover and overall direction of the club has been strong, we have a membership that has grown year on year, and we've had no trouble drawing big sponsors.

Ultimately I liked Jeff playing 'Leader of the Opposition' against the AFL, the sport needs outspoken and competent presidents. I'll miss that, because I'm not sure we'll get it from the next one.

Jeff will be a huge loss, love him or hate him i personally liked Jeff very much and will dearly be missed as our President of our mighty club as a leader and his professionalism in steering our club in the AFL in the best interest of our members and supporters.

Just hope we don't make the same mistake again and hopefully find a suitable replacement that will give us a voice in the AFL like Jeff did.

I tell you what, there better be a lot of grooming and mentoring going on for his successor, can not have another Garvey situation where we basically stood in the corner and were not heard or spoken to by the AFL. People who criticise Jeff do me in, this guy goes into bat for our club harder and more aggressive than any president we have had including Dicker (who was a genius).

Are there any rumours who is putting there hand up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back