Game Day JLT opener vs GWS in Blacktown

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually prefer to say Aliir Aliir. Calling him just Aliir makes me think I'm sometimes just referring to him by his first name, which is weird because you'd never call a player by their first name (apart from Sir Dane, but royalty always go by their first names.)

Or Buddy, or Stevie J.

Oddly enough generally speaking if the commentators refers to a player either by their first name, nickname or full name then it usually means they are very good.

I actually prefer to say Aliir Aliir. Calling him just Aliir makes me think I'm sometimes just referring to him by his first name, which is weird because you'd never call a player by their first name (apart from Sir Dane, but royalty always go by their first names.)
I do see your point and get how you feel about it, but yeah, it's not for me and I'm trying hard no too. The whole situation would probably be helped if I upgraded my prescription so that I could see what I type without effort! Lol!

Or Buddy, or Stevie J.

Oddly enough generally speaking if the commentators refers to a player either by their first name, nickname or full name then it usually means they are very good.

Nah, it just means they played for a Victorian club. Playing for a Vic club automatically grants you the right to have a nickname that's then shared around the media. The closest term of endearment from a commentator we have is BT screaming AAAAALLLLLLOOOOOOYYYYDDDDD mid-aneurysm.

Yeah i'll ask any Richmond fan. Golly there are alot of them now..I have 90K to pick from.

His spine of good players in 2015/16 were (in order of Jack Dyer medal)
Dusty, Rance, Cotch, Riewoldt, Grigg

Oddly the same spine that won the GF in 2017

That shuffling forward, move the pill at every opportunity, fast rebound from defensive fifty. High intensity running into space ..trust.
The richmond team was so well drilled to run into spaces as soon as they won the footy back.

They've been trying that s**t for years. Just hadn't worked.
Maybe the addition of Nank won them a bit more pill at the stoppages...besides that. I've seen attributes of the Richmond method for years.
Yeah and how did they win the footy back. Unbelievable pressure on the ball carrier that then prevented the kick, necessitating a handball in the frenzy that was overcoming them. The ball to the ground and the uptake from a defensive situation to attacking raid was instant.
The standout from Richmond in 2017 and up to the prelim in 2028 was the spectacular run through the centre out to a loose half forward and probably some of the easiest goals, pressure wise , that you could witness. Time after time a loose forward in the surrounds of the square would simply walk in or have little pressure to take the kick for goal.
All plans eventually run foul and Collingwood were masterful in the unwillingness to let the ball carrier be battered by swarms of tacklers and their ball carriers just never put the ball down. The game plan was well thought out but the ability of the players to buy in and carry it out worked a treat.
We have some great games ahead in 2020, Collingwood and Richmond for one to see who sorts out the plan best.
I'm thinking that GWS will be a great to watch in spite of losing Shiel to Essendon. Taranto has lifted and the other rolls royces in their midfield will be a handful for all teams.
Swans, well who knows. Many on this board want Grundy out, Jack out and even an old McVeigh. The three of them are still head and shoulders above what is coming next. I agree with those who are critical of Papley going in the middle, Mills to me is a pure defender. Hayward is a gun, not just a Buddy side kick.
Cunningham is the most improved player in the side after Lloyd. Remember his games as a stopper last year, but, how impressive his his run and more importantly his disposal. Those five are our most improved.
So what of our wingman that we can truly say are wingman in the mould of Smith and Hill, before he went to Fremantle. The one who has opened my eyes and I think will be a quick learner is McInerney. The other side I am looking at O'Riordon who has a never say die will to succeed in every effort. Heaps of speed and both turn up when needed.
Melican is player who shows steadiness under the pressure that a Swans beckman faces every time because of the game plan.
The biggest problem comes up last. Do we have anyone to go in the middle with Parker, Kennedy and Hewitt, if he doesn't tag. The left foot of Jack is a must coming out of the middle now that our other left footer in Hannebery is gone after several disappointing years. Heeney is a finisher, not a playmaker. His frenzied attack on the ball and brilliant defense do not make him the midfielder we are seeking. Like Sam Reid he can mark both ends of the ground and both a reasonable kicks for goal. The knock on both is their field kicking.
The same applies to Florent who lets fly with ordinary kicks after brilliant in and under work.
Maybe the hidden gem is Cunningham who impresses me more each time he lines up. His kicking is elite and he is prepared to run and carry much like Kelly, Coniglio and Shiel. His defence is sturdy.
I will be yelled at, laughed at and called a loose nut.... BUT.......the day we let Dan Robinson go was a very big mistake. He still had an upside and was given very little opportunity after his injuries. We have an opportunity now to pick him up again because of Tippett and the injury to Maibum. a big body ready to go until Mcinerney, Rowbottom, Stoddart and Ling build up some muscle.

Last edited:
Yeah and how did they win the footy back. Unbelievable pressure on the ball carrier that then prevented the kick, necessitating a handball in the frenzy that was overcoming them. The ball to the ground and the uptake from a defensive situation to attacking raid was instant.
The standout from Richmond in 2017 and up to the prelim in 2028 was the spectacular run through the centre out to a loose half forward and probably some of the easiest goals, pressure wise , that you could witness. Time after time a loose forward in the surrounds of the square would simply walk in or have little pressure to take the kick for goal.
All plans eventually run foul and Collingwood were masterful in the unwillingness to let the ball carrier be battered by swarms of tacklers and their ball carriers just never put the ball down. The game plan was well thought out but the ability of the players to buy in and carry it out worked a treat.
We have some great games ahead in 2020, Collingwood and Richmond for one to see who sorts out the plan best.
I'm thinking that GWS will be a great to watch in spite of losing Shiel to Essendon. Taranto has lifted and the other rolls royces in their midfield will be a handful for all teams.
Swans, well who knows. Many on this board want Grundy out, Jack out and even an old McVeigh. The three of them are still head and shoulders above what is coming next. I agree with those who are critical of Papley going in the middle, Mills to me is a pure defender. Hayward is a gun, not just a Buddy side kick.
Cunningham is the most improved player in the side after Lloyd. Remember his games as a stopper last year, but, how impressive his his run and more importantly his disposal. Those five are our most improved.
So what of our wingman that we can truly say are wingman in the mould of Smith and Hill, before he went to Fremantle. The one who has opened my eyes and I think will be a quick learner is McInerney. The other side I am looking at O'Riordon who has a never say die will to succeed in every effort. Heaps of speed and both turn up when needed.
Melican is player who shows steadiness under the pressure that a Swans beckman faces every time because of the game plan.
The biggest problem comes up last. Do we have anyone to go in the middle with Parker, Kennedy and Hewitt, if he doesn't tag. The left foot of Jack is a must coming out of the middle now that our other left footer in Hannebery is gone after several disappointing years. Heeney is a finisher, not a playmaker. His frenzied attack on the ball and brilliant defense do not make him the midfielder we are seeking. Like Sam Reid he can mark both ends of the ground and both a reasonable kicks for goal. The knock on both is their field kicking.
The same applies to Florent who lets fly with ordinary kicks after brilliant in and under work.
Maybe the hidden gem is Cunningham who impresses me more each time he lines up. His kicking is elite and he is prepared to run and carry much like Kelly, Coniglio and Shiel. His defence is sturdy.
I will be yelled at, laughed at and called a loose nut.... BUT.......the day we let Dan Robinson go was a very big mistake. He still had an upside and was given very little opportunity after his injuries. We have an opportunity now to pick him up again because of Tippett and the injury to Maibum. a big body ready to go until Mcinerney, Rowbottom, Stoddart and Ling build up some muscle.

Strong agreement with your points about Cunningham. Seems assured with ball in hand and is determined.

Disagree about Jack and Robbo. Jack had a shocker 2018 and I can't see him turning the clock back. He will be a crucial mentor to the younger brigade and provide depth in his last year.

I really cannot see Robbo returning. He just never nailed a spot.

Speaking of Ling, the latest injury update lists him as indefinite with a toe injury. Has it fallen off?
Anyone got any info on his situation?

Yet you judged the situation "instantly"...
Sorry, that’s just silly.

All that any of us can go on is the evidence in front of us. If you’re accusing me of making an instant judgement you can say that of pretty much every single post on this thread.

We saw no evidence of any intention to effect any substantive changes to our game plan or style, and though I have no experience of coaching a football team, I’ve been on the planet long enough to have a reasonable grasp of human capabilities.

And I think it’s rubbish to suggest it’s impossible, or even merely ill-advised, to simultaneously test out young players, try a few players in new positions, AND start introducing a new game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just call him Aliir and refuse to confirm whether you mean Aliir or Aliir.

One good change was no chippety chip backwards and sideways in D50. I hope it has been jettisoned as a key strategy. Guess we will see in the next game.

Foxy and COR seemingly had licence to attack, tho oddly AA rarely played on (under instructions)…?

Sorry, that’s just silly.

All that any of us can go on is the evidence in front of us. If you’re accusing me of making an instant judgement you can say that of pretty much every single post on this thread.

We saw no evidence of any intention to effect any substantive changes to our game plan or style, and though I have no experience of coaching a football team, I’ve been on the planet long enough to have a reasonable grasp of human capabilities.

And I think it’s rubbish to suggest it’s impossible, or even merely ill-advised, to simultaneously test out young players, try a few players in new positions, AND start introducing a new game plan.

Well that's your opinion then but as I said, it would take an unprecedented effort to produce both the kind of personnel changes and playing changes you wish to see in the same game all the while only going about 75%. I'm not even sure the AFL's Team of the Century would be able to do that but you're within your right to expect that if you wish.

One good change was no chippety chip backwards and sideways in D50. I hope it has been jettisoned as a key strategy. Guess we will see in the next game.

Foxy and COR seemingly had licence to attack, tho oddly AA rarely played on (under instructions)…?

It's very clear that Aliir is scared into playing conservatively. A season and a half of NEAFL banishment will do that to you.

Well that's your opinion then but as I said, it would take an unprecedented effort to produce both the kind of personnel changes and playing changes you wish to see in the same game all the while only going about 75%. I'm not even sure the AFL's Team of the Century would be able to do that but you're within your right to expect that if you wish.
You really are putting words into my mouth.

I don't wish to see all this in one game.

I wish to see evidence of it all in one game.

And I saw none.

It's very clear that Aliir is scared into playing conservatively. A season and a half of NEAFL banishment will do that to you.

Scared lol?

He played on a couple of times in the practice. What is very clear is the coaches have clearly worked with him on his decision making of WHEN to play on.

When he first came along and was playing on 75% of the time it was too predictable and if he kept doing it he would have lost the element of surprise. The coaches have worked with him on striking a balance. I think they are still finding that balance but that is hardly surprising given he has played on 28 AFL games thus far...

wolfy, you continually make stuff up to suit your bias and when it is pointed out you have the inanity to quote it and then not address it at all. It is not as if you even pick and choose to make a coherent argument. You just make stuff up that never happened to make yourself out to be some sort of guru.
What's made up? We had major injuries in 2017 and 2018. We played the first 6 roulds of 2017 well down on regulars. In the first part of 2018 we were without several regulars including Macca, Papley Reid. We were forced to play youngsters and for the most part it worked out except in 2017 we just couldn't win games. We had a few close one we lost there. So what's made up out of that brain's trust

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

What's made up? We had major injuries in 2017 and 2018. We played the first 6 roulds of 2017 well down on regulars. In the first part of 2018 we were without several regulars including Macca, Papley Reid. We were forced to play youngsters and for the most part it worked out except in 2017 we just couldn't win games. We had a few close one we lost there. So what's made up out of that brain's trust

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's a PART of it, but the second part is gameplan which has been outdated for the best part of 2 years and forcing youngsters especially to play a highly contested and taxing style isn't going to work for a whole year, you might get it to work for 5-6 weeks at best. That isn't sustainable. We also have been so slow to move with the times and the focus on foot skills has been severely lacking until the last 2 off seasons, when it should have been over 5 years back rather than getting toiler, hard working types. It's a combination of everything though, thankfully the drafting and recruitment has been really good over the last 2 years and skills rather than being honest has been a priority.

In the end it will be an interesting season, I'm not expecting to make the 8, but a finish in the 9th to 12th range isn't awful so long as I see improvements across the board and that's all I expect. Anything else is a bonus.

Nowadays the better teams favour quick ball movement, with their players encouraged to play on. Lesser teams tend more to the prop and cop style. 2A's flair lends him to a play on style. Of course he will get caught every now and then but he is difficult to tackle and think of the opportunities he creates.

I am convinced he would have played more games at most other Clubs than he has with us. Hopefully he is now cemented in the team and is able to provide some of the run and carry we so desperately need.

Nowadays the better teams favour quick ball movement, with their players encouraged to play on. Lesser teams tend more to the prop and cop style. 2A's flair lends him to a play on style. Of course he will get caught every now and then but he is difficult to tackle and think of the opportunities he creates.

I am convinced he would have played more games at most other Clubs than he has with us. Hopefully he is now cemented in the team and is able to provide some of the run and carry we so desperately need.

Agreed and add Florent, McInnerney and O'Roidan and we have 3 to help him there. Run and carry and getting the ball forward should be our priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back