Autopsy Official Practice Match: Sydney v Carlton, Blacktown Int Sports Park, Friday 3rd March 7.10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, he didn't deck anyone so we're calling that a win.

Jokes aside, the fact he got roughed up a bunch and never showed even a hint of unnecessary aggro in response is legit a good sign. Almost like he got some feedback and was trying to prove he'd taken it on. He just put his head down and kept playing, which is exactly what he needs to do to get the best out of himself.

The 60m+ bombs for goal from Campbell and Gulden were pure gold. Hope we see more of it in the regular season, I weirdly feel more confident us making those kicks at goal compared to 30m out.
That Campbell goal was a thing of beauty. So effortless.

Didn't get anywhere near the fanfare it deserved

Hence the a bit too selfish, he needs to identify better options when he's not able to burst through congestion or break free from tackles. He didn't really do that throughout the game, he kept doing the same thing over & over again. It was poor that he didn't recognise the balance needed tonight. He should improve with experience but the poor is justified.

I don't think it's helpful giving him a pass mark because that's just the type of player he is, I would rather see a bit more evolution in his game. I also think better identification on when to pass to a teammate or not will make him more threatening. If opposition players know he'll take it himself it makes him predictable.
Sure, and if he's a 150 game veteran who knows his role inside and out, then I wouldn't be giving him a pass. But given Warner is a 21 year old who is still figuring his role out - such as what to do when he can't play to his natural strengths - I'm thinking yeah he gets a pass...

I didn’t see the game but the comments that make me most excited are about the goals landing from 60m and the quality of our field kicking.

If we have multiple players who can kick them from 60, then that will force the opposition half back line to pressure up, creating more space in our forward line, which our good field kicks will be able to find.

We don’t need incredible game changing forwards to succeed in those situations, just solid, clever team-focused forwards who create space for one another.

So much better balance than our 2014 team and so much more talent than our 2005 team.

Two observations:

- our centre clearance work was outstanding

- we have worked really hard over the off season to defend the middle corridor and we were exceptional on that last night. Carlton just never looked like they had the opportunity to move the ball through the middle the way they wanted too

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, and if he's a 150 game veteran who knows his role inside and out, then I wouldn't be giving him a pass. But given Warner is a 21 year old who is still figuring his role out - such as what to do when he can't play to his natural strengths - I'm thinking yeah he gets a pass...

Well if he keeps it up this season then he'll get caught out more often then not against the good teams. His role is pretty clear atm.

Why does Roberts have to overtake Sheldrick or vice versa?

They're both second year players, both with one game to their name.

Roberts looks more ready of the two and I'm sensing the coaches think the same, but they're not intrinsically linked as players.

Both have shown some promise, that's all that matters.
Roberts played senior footy in SA. Sheldrick did not. Matty's development is way further down the track than Gus'. So naturally he is going to progress in AFL faster if talented enough and he has shown that already.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only a praccy game against rubbish but Errol inked his name in as a mainstay of the mids with Mills, Parker and Chad. Rotate others through inc Papley, Juzzy etcinc Gus and Rowy ( latter itwo if they mak the 23)

You can't be suggesting Rowbottom isn't a lock, surely? He came 3rd in our B&F...

You can't be suggesting Rowbottom isn't a lock, surely? He came 3rd in our B&F...

I know. He is not in form and should not be considered a lock.

Roberts played senior footy in SA. Sheldrick did not. Matty's development is way further down the track than Gus'. So naturally he is going to progress in AFL faster if talented enough and he has shown that already.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Added to which Gus missed a significant portion of his first year with a knee injury.

I like them both as exceptional prospects.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but in the 1st quarter their new recruit (Holland) ran from one end of the ground to the other. It was astonishing and I'm not sure if any other player has done that before. The least the commentators could have done was to tell us about it for a few minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back