Autopsy Official Practice Match: Sydney v Carlton, Blacktown Int Sports Park, Friday 3rd March 7.10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Hi ho, the Swans meet the Blues on a Friday night out at Blacktown in the final hitout before the season proper begins.

No known injuries out our game against the Lions but a number of best 22 still on the injury list - no excuses Blues have a few too.

Match Centre:

Last edited:

Ladhams would just about be a lock to play round 1, so it'll be really interesting to see how he plays. I think he's in the team either way for the Suns game, but geez I'd rather him be coming into that game in real good touch rather than making the cut because he's simply the most experienced fit ruckman.

One of the things I will be watching keenly is the first hands at the centre bounces. There is something that has become apparent last year and appeared again in the match sim against Lions, and that is the opposition tackling and receiving the ball from the bounce.

The way it works is that if we have first hands on the ball (eg. Paddles) then he is immediately tackled (front on) by his opposite number which forces him to raise his arms so that he doesn't get wrapped up with the ball. In the meantime, there is an opposition player running behind Paddles (on the defensive side) so that when Paddles raises his arms and tries to handball to our defensive side of the ruck, it is intercepted and they clear it and run away with it. It happens so often that it looks like other teams train for it and I don't know if they do it against other opposition, but it is certainly done successfully against us.

It is possibly successful because our defensive mid is positioned a little bit back from the action which creates space between the contest and the player which allows the opponent to exploit it, but I'm not sure how we counter this without redeploying the mids at the bounce.

I will watch on Friday to see if/how many times it happens again.

One of the things I will be watching keenly is the first hands at the centre bounces. There is something that has become apparent last year and appeared again in the match sim against Lions, and that is the opposition tackling and receiving the ball from the bounce.

The way it works is that if we have first hands on the ball (eg. Paddles) then he is immediately tackled (front on) by his opposite number which forces him to raise his arms so that he doesn't get wrapped up with the ball. In the meantime, there is an opposition player running behind Paddles (on the defensive side) so that when Paddles raises his arms and tries to handball to our defensive side of the ruck, it is intercepted and they clear it and run away with it. It happens so often that it looks like other teams train for it and I don't know if they do it against other opposition, but it is certainly done successfully against us.

It is possibly successful because our defensive mid is positioned a little bit back from the action which creates space between the contest and the player which allows the opponent to exploit it, but I'm not sure how we counter this without redeploying the mids at the bounce.

I wouldn't be worried.

Our midfield lacks cohesion. Individually they're all quality but you can see they don't quite know how to use each other or where to position yet. They haven't established a set model that works for them, but I think that will come.

I also think it's common to think that issues for us aren't issues for any other team. Conceding easy centre breaks, defence leaking easy goals, long bombing, lack of pure taps in the ruck, etc. But if these problems were unique to us, then we'd be a bottom two team, not the top two side that we were last year.

I wouldn't be worried.

Our midfield lacks cohesion. Individually they're all quality but you can see they don't quite know how to use each other or where to position yet. They haven't established a set model that works for them, but I think that will come.

I also think it's common to think that issues for us aren't issues for any other team. Conceding easy centre breaks, defence leaking easy goals, long bombing, lack of pure taps in the ruck, etc. But if these problems were unique to us, then we'd be a bottom two team, not the top two side that we were last year.
I know that there is always a trade-off with the positioning of players. I am assuming that we believe that our current positioning brings more reward than risk, and that is why it occurs. It's hard to argue against when you reach a GF, but I will watch to see if it occurs a few times. I actually trust the coaching staff because they sometimes know more than I do.

I wouldn't be worried.

McGuane in the Hun today ranked our midfield second to that of Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGuane in the Hun today ranked our midfield second to that of Melbourne.
There is no way we're the second-best midfield in the comp.

Carlton's are some way ahead of us (though they're carried by one player.)

I also think Geelong's midfield deserve way more credit than they get, same as Richmond's back in the day, but because they lack the "big names", they mustn't be that great. Despite winning flags. This is the media once again not understanding that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. They literally only care about the parts.

We will have the best midfield in a few years.

I also think Geelong's midfield deserve way more credit than they get, same as Richmond's back in the day, but because they lack the "big names", they mustn't be that great. Despite winning flags. This is the media once again not understanding that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. They literally only care about the parts.

So you'll appreciate that McGuane had Geelong as the best list:
Defence ranked 1st
Attack 1st
Mids 6th

Yes the same mids who crushed us in the last match.

Edit: minus Selwood

Our stoppages set ups, especially centre bounce are far too attacking. It is a thorn in our side. If we are losing the ruck there is a very good chance the ball will be cleared by our opponents because they have a man free. In contrast, when we win the ruck the same applies. But if the ruck is a disputed ball, neither ruck gets a TTA, then we are under instant pressure and the extra man stays far too far back giving them space to run as you say.

Last week Lions were basically running an extra mid through the centre as Coleman would sprint off HB ready to receive the ball. Whoever was on Coleman did not even come close to him after half time. He was so far on his own he must have leprocy.

If we continue to be this loose both in the centre square and off HF we are going to have a long year. We pride ourselves on being a very solid defensive side as well as a exciting attacking side. We need to do both to win a GF. We also need to win contested ball and clearances.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't be worried.

Each year the opposition finds ways of exploiting your game. You have to get better every year to combat that. Our strength has been our defensive rebound game. But as has been pointed out time and again this is a very hard game to maintain over the long stretch.

Our clearance game is our major problem. We can win contested ball but lose clearances which is bizarre. Our centre clearances in particular are a worry. It is not just the set ups, I think they are far too easy to exploit and we're so in the GF and that lesson was learned by Lions by doing exactly the same. We need to change the set ups. But we also need to change the personel in the mids. Who is getting our clearances? Paddles certainly is but who else? Where do our clearance players rate on the AFL listing? We need to treat stoppages and centre clearances very differently. Centre clearances are our biggest worry because unfortunately we are now bleeding goals.

Our midfield would be in the mid to bottom on Centre Clearance I would suggest. We are 10th for overall clearances. We were 16th for Centre Clearances and 6th for stoppages. For a top 4 side that is a disaster and good sides WILL exploit that. If you do not think something, set ups or personnel or both, has to change then you are deluded

Our midfield would be in the mid to bottom on Centre Clearance I would suggest. We are 10th for overall clearances. For a top 4 side that is a disaster and good sides WILL exploit that. If you do not think something, set ups or personnel or both, has to change then you are deluded

Those numbers can be deceiving though, as we kinda had a season of two halves last year. The team that we had for most of the season performed very differently to the team that got us to a grand final. As I pointed out a while ago, we were 2nd in the competition for contested possessions and 3rd for clearances after round 17... So I think we remedied the problem on the fly, and I'm not prepared to discard that because of one practice match.

I know absolutely none of the answers to your questions about the midfield, only my opinions (and I've been told they're not worth much.)

I guess I'd say there are three concepts that I think will be key to our midfield going forward:

1. Footy IQ. Physical attributes like strength, size and speed don't matter in the midfield as much as smarts. You need someone with the instincts for the contest. What to do and how to play in tight. Besides Rowbottom, who I think is a burgeoning genius in this regard, I think the only other player who fits this bill is Gulden. I can still remember the two of them staving off a rampaging Collingwood team by themselves in that preliminary final, purely through their moments of brilliance in the contest. I want more of that.

2. The Firm. Regarding Rowbottom, we need he and Mills (The Firm) to stay under the radar as much as possible. Warner is a gun but if teams continue to think that he's the mid who needs shutting down the most, then that's a win for us. Tagging to stop an individual's game makes far less sense than tagging to stop a team's system. Before the GF, after going 9-0, I said our next loss would come against the team that realised Warner wasn't the mid whose game needed to be stopped for our midfield to struggle. Alas...

3. Chemistry. I can remember a time when Melbourne had Gawn (All Australian ruck) tapping it down to Oliver (All Australian mid), Petracca (All Australian mid) and Brayshaw (3rd in Brownlow), but their midfield was kinda dysfunctional. Then suddenly in 2021, it just clicked. They learned each other's games and stopped being a bunch of quality individuals and became a quality group. This happened when their mids all entered their mid-20s, of which two of ours currently aren't. They just need time and experience.

If Gould doesn't get a game against the Blues this week I think I'll have some kind of meltdown.

Prepare the straight jacket and padded cell.

His got an injury so it's not guarenteed sadly

Selection for this match should be interesting. Whether Ladhams, Papley, Blakey, Fox or Cunningham returns.

Also if Franklin is not able to play every game, then I think we need to get a look at other tall forwards like McLean in case they are needed early in the season.

Last edited:
He did wind up playing in the VFL last week didn't he?

Incidentally, it looks like we don't have any games in the second and third weeks of the VFL practice match fixture. What gives? Maybe we have too many injuries at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back