Autopsy Official Practice Match: Sydney v Carlton, Blacktown Int Sports Park, Friday 3rd March 7.10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Other than Gulden being on the verge of exploding, I really liked the move of Cunningham into the forward line. His defence-first mindset has been overtaken by a lot of our other smaller defenders who can both defend and attack so a move into the forward line to chase, be disciplined, and also be dangerous around goals is a great move. Not convinced he'll be in the best 22 all year but it's a great move for now at least. Also liked Campbell's more confident play with the ball in his hands. More of that please. I also hoped Sheldrick would be in the round 1 side but while I think that's very unlikely, I think Matt Roberts is right there ready to be picked. He's looking real solid. I'm gonna guess he might be our sub for round 1.

Other than Gulden being on the verge of exploding, I really liked the move of Cunningham into the forward line. His defence-first mindset has been overtaken by a lot of our other smaller defenders who can both defend and attack so a move into the forward line to chase, be disciplined, and also be dangerous around goals is a great move. Not convinced he'll be in the best 22 all year but it's a great move for now at least. Also liked Campbell's more confident play with the ball in his hands. More of that please. I also hoped Sheldrick would be in the round 1 side but while I think that's very unlikely, I think Matt Roberts is right there ready to be picked. He's looking real solid. I'm gonna guess he might be our sub for round 1.

I mentioned this on another thread but Blakey got 643m gained yesterday from only 18 disposals. That is extremely impressive and way above anything anyone else on that field did in terms of metres gained per disposal.

I mentioned this on another thread but Blakey got 643m gained yesterday from only 18 disposals. That is extremely impressive and way above anything anyone else on that field did in terms of metres gained per disposal.
He looks in terrific form, just the Glandular Fever weakening him a little endurance wise. Seems to be recovering well though.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but in the 1st quarter their new recruit (Holland) ran from one end of the ground to the other. It was astonishing and I'm not sure if any other player has done that before. The least the commentators could have done was to tell us about it for a few minutes.
Spat my drink out at this comment!

Not trying to detract from this just curious, I wonder if his 50m penalty counted to this number or not. And if you give 50 away does it come off your MG number?

Ladhams was very good with his hands. There were a couple of terrific clearing handballs to players in space, when Ladhams was under pressure. This to me showed awareness and smarts to take the best option. Reminded me of Diesel.

His cheap shots remind me more of Diesel than his handballs.

I’m sorry I just had to.

Daniel Cherny's player notes from the Hun:
"
1. Chad Warner - Played as an inside midfielder, was busy early, overshadowed by Gulden.

2. Hayden McLean - Played two-thirds of the game, rotating forward and ruck, took a nice grab and kicked two

3. Dylan Stephens - Tidy if unobtrusive performance on the wing.

5. Isaac Heeney - Was on restricted minutes but had some moments of brilliance playing as a deep forward with midfield bursts.

6. Logan McDonald - Went goalless but was industrious and had his best moment with a strong defensive grab.

7. Harry Cunningham - The veteran has been redeployed as a small forward in the absence of Ryan Clarke and it reaped dividends with two goals.

8. James Rowbottom - Did plenty of grunt work around the ball but others were more prominent.

9. Will Hayward - Appeared in flashes but didn’t impact scoreboard until many others.

13. Ollie Florent - Solid display down back where to be fair things were quiet.

16. Braeden Campbell - Worked into the game nicely, drifted forward and kicked an impressive goal.

19. Peter Ladhams - Arguably the best tall on the ground. Beat the Blues rucks around the contest and fought on despite copping a knock to the jaw.

20. Sam Reid - Not yet a spent force on this showing. Looked dangerous and kicked two goals.

21. Errol Gulden - Simply magnificent. Hard to imagine anyone playing a better game. Was everywhere, finished well, an aerial presence even at his height and pressured maniacally.

22. Nick Blakey - A strong game from the rebounding defender, who pushed forward to kick a goal.

23. Lance Franklin - Provided one of the moments of the night with a sublime dribbled goal but looked frustrated and slow at times.

24. Dane Rampe - Serviceable and kept the Blues’ small forwards pretty quiet.

26. Luke Parker - Was excellent, no-fuss Parker. Found a lot of the ball and played a handy second fiddle to Gulden.

27. Justin McInerney - Wasn’t overly influential playing on a wing.

28. Will Edwarfds - Was given a brief taste but barely sighted.

29. Angus Sheldrick - Got his hands on it a bit during what was around a quarter of game time.

30. Tom McCartin - Had his hands full with Charlie Curnow but battled reasonably well.

34. Matt Roberts - Youngster had some nice involvements on the wing to put himself in the round one frame.

39. Paddy McCartin - Wasn’t an especially busy night but did his job.

41. Lachlan Rankin - Untested second-year forward only had a small taste of the action.

44. Jake Lloyd - Steady down back without being needed a great deal.

46. Lachlan McAndrew - Conditions didn’t suit him and he struggled to make an impact from limited game time."

Specifically on Buddy:
"Franklin has little to prove, particularly not in a March practice match. But in his 19th AFL season, the superstar provided one of the highlights of the night, gathering in the pocket and then dribbling through a major on the run to cap his side’s first quarter rout. This was not a vintage Franklin showing though. He looked cumbersome at times and while he will always demand attention, expectations on what he may achieve in 2023 ought be tempered."

A pretty fair assessment, albeit a little harsh on McInerney, whose defensive efforts and two way running were good IMO.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but in the 1st quarter their new recruit (Holland) ran from one end of the ground to the other. It was astonishing and I'm not sure if any other player has done that before. The least the commentators could have done was to tell us about it for a few minutes.
Pebbles did it all the time in his early years. Huế was playing HF and was often seen in the BP getting ball, then getting it in the FP in the same play

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Daniel Cherny's player notes from the Hun:
"
1. Chad Warner - Played as an inside midfielder, was busy early, overshadowed by Gulden.

2. Hayden McLean - Played two-thirds of the game, rotating forward and ruck, took a nice grab and kicked two

3. Dylan Stephens - Tidy if unobtrusive performance on the wing.

5. Isaac Heeney - Was on restricted minutes but had some moments of brilliance playing as a deep forward with midfield bursts.

6. Logan McDonald - Went goalless but was industrious and had his best moment with a strong defensive grab.

7. Harry Cunningham - The veteran has been redeployed as a small forward in the absence of Ryan Clarke and it reaped dividends with two goals.

8. James Rowbottom - Did plenty of grunt work around the ball but others were more prominent.

9. Will Hayward - Appeared in flashes but didn’t impact scoreboard until many others.

13. Ollie Florent - Solid display down back where to be fair things were quiet.

16. Braeden Campbell - Worked into the game nicely, drifted forward and kicked an impressive goal.

19. Peter Ladhams - Arguably the best tall on the ground. Beat the Blues rucks around the contest and fought on despite copping a knock to the jaw.

20. Sam Reid - Not yet a spent force on this showing. Looked dangerous and kicked two goals.

21. Errol Gulden - Simply magnificent. Hard to imagine anyone playing a better game. Was everywhere, finished well, an aerial presence even at his height and pressured maniacally.

22. Nick Blakey - A strong game from the rebounding defender, who pushed forward to kick a goal.

23. Lance Franklin - Provided one of the moments of the night with a sublime dribbled goal but looked frustrated and slow at times.

24. Dane Rampe - Serviceable and kept the Blues’ small forwards pretty quiet.

26. Luke Parker - Was excellent, no-fuss Parker. Found a lot of the ball and played a handy second fiddle to Gulden.

27. Justin McInerney - Wasn’t overly influential playing on a wing.

28. Will Edwarfds - Was given a brief taste but barely sighted.

29. Angus Sheldrick - Got his hands on it a bit during what was around a quarter of game time.

30. Tom McCartin - Had his hands full with Charlie Curnow but battled reasonably well.

34. Matt Roberts - Youngster had some nice involvements on the wing to put himself in the round one frame.

39. Paddy McCartin - Wasn’t an especially busy night but did his job.

41. Lachlan Rankin - Untested second-year forward only had a small taste of the action.

44. Jake Lloyd - Steady down back without being needed a great deal.

46. Lachlan McAndrew - Conditions didn’t suit him and he struggled to make an impact from limited game time."

Specifically on Buddy:
"Franklin has little to prove, particularly not in a March practice match. But in his 19th AFL season, the superstar provided one of the highlights of the night, gathering in the pocket and then dribbling through a major on the run to cap his side’s first quarter rout. This was not a vintage Franklin showing though. He looked cumbersome at times and while he will always demand attention, expectations on what he may achieve in 2023 ought be tempered."

A pretty fair assessment, albeit a little harsh on McInerney, whose defensive efforts and two way running were good IMO.
Rankin is not a forward. He is a half back

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not trying to detract from this just curious, I wonder if his 50m penalty counted to this number or not. And if you give 50 away does it come off your MG number?
Champion Data definition;
Metres Gained: Net metres gained with the ball by a player, by running, kicking or handballing, combining measures towards attacking goal and away from defensive goal.

So my interpretation would be no, simply because 50m penalties are not mentioned and would be if they were a factor in MG.

Champion Data definition;
Metres Gained: Net metres gained with the ball by a player, by running, kicking or handballing, combining measures towards attacking goal and away from defensive goal.

So my interpretation would be no, simply because 50m penalties are not mentioned and would be if they were a factor in MG.
I think your interpretation seems spot on HB.

The key word there is "net metres gained with the ball"

If you've given away a 50m penalty then you don't have the ball in the first place

A couple of observations after watching the replay (I couldn't watch live).
Ladhams worked REALLY hard even after a nasty head knock. Needs to work a bit more on his man on man technique to get better position. Probably our best after Gulden.
Some nice tap work to advantage by McAndrew holding off his opponent.
Some lovely defensive positional play by McInerney broke up Carlton attacks.
Can't remember the last time Harry played in the forwards but he looked right at home. Might have nailed himself a spot.
Our pressure up 100% on last week, at least early, showed Carlton up badly as pretty panicky.
Reid looks 100% which is great news.
Ditto Blakey.
Roberts looking handy.
Gulden is just amazing. No idea what his ceiling is.
Game over after half an hour.

As good as they are (both McCartin's) I still feel a big weakness the Swans have is how we play against the really tall key forwards. We struggle to stop them from taking those big contested marks and neither McCartin is really big enough to go with them.

In fairness, I am not sure any teams feel comfortable with three talls like McKay, Curnow and De Koning.

It’s an area of concern for us, but we always seem to find a way to bring the ball to ground and restrict the opposition from scoring.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As good as they are (both McCartin's) I still feel a big weakness the Swans have is how we play against the really tall key forwards. We struggle to stop them from taking those big contested marks and neither McCartin is really big enough to go with them.
Every backline in the league will at some stage get terrorised by really tall key forwards. We are no different.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but a certain Braeden Campbell had 92% time on ground.
The highest TOG of any of our players.

View attachment 1621388

Abrams have a smoothbore gun which means while powerful it is not as accurate as the gun on a Challenger 2 which uses a rifled gun. Power is good but accuracy is important too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back