Autopsy Official Practice Match: Sydney v Carlton, Blacktown Int Sports Park, Friday 3rd March 7.10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

We were missing Mills, Papley and Hickey too so were not exactly full strength.
Yes but at least our players showed up. It was basically Sydney Swans vs George Hewett.

I was surprised at the level of intensity we showed, quite unbecoming in a pre-season game compared to our usual standard. If I had to hazard a guess, I suspect Horse & co really wanted our boys fired up before round 1, so that going into the new season, our most recent memory of playing together as a team wasn't everyone struggling in the GF, but thriving in the pre-season.

(Even though not everyone thrived and some still looked in second gear, as you'd expect.)

Yes but at least our players showed up. It was basically Sydney Swans vs George Hewett.

I was surprised at the level of intensity we showed, quite unbecoming in a pre-season game compared to our usual standard. If I had to hazard a guess, I suspect Horse & co really wanted our boys fired up before round 1, so that going into the new season, our most recent memory of playing together as a team wasn't everyone struggling in the GF, but thriving in the pre-season.

(Even though not everyone thrived and some still looked in second gear, as you'd expect.)

I hope they continue match simulations with higher intensity before R1. Need to instill that winning mentality if there is any lingering doubt after the GF

Indeed Voss is not a idiot to let Gulden free to rack up 45 disposals when it matters.

Jon Ralph with his assessment on the practice matches and driveby burn on Tom Mitchell.

A decade ago a young Swan drafted to the club under a special list allowance began making waves as he racked up insane possession counts as he bounced between the AFL and reserves sides.

But while father-son Tom Mitchell has never truly hurt rivals with his disposal, academy kid Errol Gulden will never be accused of squandering his touches.

Jon Ralph with his assessment on the practice matches and driveby burn on Tom Mitchell.

A decade ago a young Swan drafted to the club under a special list allowance began making waves as he racked up insane possession counts as he bounced between the AFL and reserves sides.

But while father-son Tom Mitchell has never truly hurt rivals with his disposal, academy kid Errol Gulden will never be accused of squandering his touches.
Comments like this are why I wish there was a vomit emoji

Yes that is the thing with Gulden. He doesn't tend to get cheap possessions and I always trust him to make the right call with every one of his disposals too. He is one of our more attacking players with the ball and the fact he can get such high disposal numbers is a massive bonus.

While it was pleasing to watch Gulden rack up the big numbers, we have to temper that with the fact that there is no tagging in practice matches. We have seen what he can do if he isn't tagged, so now we will see what happens if he is.
I will bet my house that a team will never allow Gulden to get 30 kicks in a game of football ever again.

But hands up if you wouldn't mind Gulden getting tagged!

757A3933-3DD7-47A3-BDDD-6A8B7ED90440.jpeg

While it was pleasing to watch Gulden rack up the big numbers, we have to temper that with the fact that there is no tagging in practice matches. We have seen what he can do if he isn't tagged, so now we will see what happens if he is.
Plenty of clubs just don't tag in general. Mitchell's 50 against the Pies and Buckley came out and said he was happy to let Mitchell run around like that.

Was away with family, just caught the game, I'll make sure the post isn't long

1. Logan! Yes! That is what I want to see every game, he can play that role this year as the leader roaming forward, and he can fill in the key when Buddy takes breaks. Loved his game
2. Erol was fantastic, I know most on here have gone on about him so no need to do more.
3. Matt Roberts, I had him zero chance of a r1 position, but I wouldn't be completely shocked now, just looks very at home
4. Loved Cunningham forward, though it's a very safe choice. However that defensive forward is an important position to most good sides. He could be a Clarke type of forward.
5. Ladhams was very good.

Negatives

1. Just still hate this going in and out of games, we can't afford this against the top sides, albeit I know it was a practice match.
2. We are rooted if Ladhams goes down.
3. Wanted to see more of Konstanty lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will bet my house that a team will never allow Gulden to get 30 kicks in a game of football ever again.

But hands up if you wouldn't mind Gulden getting tagged!
The other advantage with Gulden is he can play almost anywhere. So, tag him in the middle he goes on the wing. Tag him on the wing, he will go forward.

Yes that is the thing with Gulden. He doesn't tend to get cheap possessions and I always trust him to make the right call with every one of his disposals too.
Gonna play contrarian here. I recall plenty of stuff ups. He goes at 66.3% kicking efficiency, which is above average, but not elite (for comparison, Dawson is around 75/76% in recent seasons).

Now before I get accused of picking on a kid, I'm only responding to claims like this where he's considered elite. He can certainly pull things off that others can't, but consistency will be a work in progress. Disposal efficiency is 72%, considered average.

Gonna play contrarian here. I recall plenty of stuff ups. He goes at 66.3% kicking efficiency, which is above average, but not elite (for comparison, Dawson is around 75/76% in recent seasons).

Now before I get accused of picking on a kid, I'm only responding to claims like this where he's considered elite. He can certainly pull things off that others can't, but consistency will be a work in progress. Disposal efficiency is 72%, considered average.
The only reason his KE% is lower is because of the degree of difficulty of the kicks that he attempts. He is often attempting kicks with small margins which - when they come off - generally put us in a position to score. His KE% might not jump off the page, but his disposal is still far more damaging than some of the guys with the higher KE% numbers IMO.

The only reason his KE% is lower is because of the degree of difficulty of the kicks that he attempts. He is often attempting kicks with small margins which - when they come off - generally put us in a position to score. His KE% might not jump off the page, but his disposal is still far more damaging than some of the guys with the higher KE% numbers IMO.
That's not what I was responding to. Wouldn't have thought Dawson for example, takes the safe kicks all the time.

But anyway, I'm not going to get into that different conversation re: Gulden. He's a lot younger and will keep improving.

Regarding elite/not elite kicking, I really think it's between the ears - composure and awareness - more so than an actual technique thing. I really believe that anyone can be a great kick on their day, or in any given play, if their mind's switched on for it.

I know the commentators love Gulden because he's a left-foot kick, which means automatic media froth these days. But I think he just has great composure to take that split second to slow down before the ball-drop, and the awareness to know where the target he wants the ball to land is.

Some of the most outrageously good kicks in footy that I've seen have come from players lacking technique, because they've actually had the composure to slow it down before kicking, or they've had the vision to know where to place the kick.

And on the flip-side, some of the worst kicks in footy that I've seen have come from players whose technique is faultless, because they haven't given themselves the time to execute the kick or haven't had the awareness to know where they're kicking it.

I think Gulden's ability to always give himself a bit of extra time and space and use his vision to look up the field and identify targets, where they're leading to, where it will land etc., is his standout attribute and is the difference between his ambitious kicks succeeding or failing.

Regarding elite/not elite kicking, I really think it's between the ears - composure and awareness - more so than an actual technique thing. I really believe that anyone can be a great kick on their day, or in any given play, if their mind's switched on for it.

I know the commentators love Gulden because he's a left-foot kick, which means automatic media froth these days. But I think he just has great composure to take that split second to slow down before the ball-drop, and the awareness to know where the target he wants the ball to land is.

Some of the most outrageously good kicks in footy that I've seen have come from players lacking technique, because they've actually had the composure to slow it down before kicking, or they've had the vision to know where to place the kick.

And on the flip-side, some of the worst kicks in footy that I've seen have come from players whose technique is faultless, because they haven't given themselves the time to execute the kick or haven't had the awareness to know where they're kicking it.

I think Gulden's ability to always give himself a bit of extra time and space and use his vision to look up the field and identify targets, where they're leading to, where it will land etc., is his standout attribute and is the difference between his ambitious kicks succeeding or failing.

Is there anything scientific to point out that left footers have more penetration and accuracy than right footers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back