Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

Yep, otherwise he goes into the PSD, you're right.
We don't have the first pick this year. Sure, I doubt any other club will pick a player who has announced their intentions to return home but it's not a risk worth taking.

I'm sure Dawson would love that 👍

You chase him for most of the season, convince him to come, and can't get it done during the trade period.

Then he has to assess his options and wait until December to officially become a crow, that's after nervously waiting to see if North or any club pick him up
Would be massively unprofessional on our part. This will get done quickly for slight unders, this years and next years seconds

Two second rounders is not "slight" unders. Dawson was one of our best players in 2021, how many clubs would accept two second rounders for one of their top three players?
Your not gonna get fair value for a OOC player. 2 seconds in my opinion would be overs by us. Regardless I expect the deal to be done early.

Two second rounders is not "slight" unders. Dawson was one of our best players in 2021, how many clubs would accept two second rounders for one of their top three players?
Any club who gets FA compo for the same contract.

Would the contract offered have made him a RFA if he was eligible? No, he finished 3rd in the B&F but he wouldn't have been paid like it at the swans, so you can't complain too much.

Any club who gets FA compo for the same contract.

Would the contract offered have made him a RFA if he was eligible? No, he finished 3rd in the B&F but he wouldn't have been paid like it at the swans, so you can't complain too much.

Reasonable chance if Dawson was a Restricted Free Agent the Swans would be getting pick 13 as compensation which would have been a much fairer deal than the scraps Adelaide are going to try and offer.

Reasonable chance if Dawson was a Restricted Free Agent the Swans would be getting pick 13 as compensation which would have been a much fairer deal than the scraps Adelaide are going to try and offer.
$500-600k a year won't get you band 1, which is the to 5% of earners over 25. That's band 3, top 30% of earners over 25, which would equate to pick 32.

If he was on $800k, then you'd be half a chance, but he's not and the Swans didn't offer that either.

I have never been so happy that bigfooty has no link to reality.

I can accept Dawson will not be traded for his value (7-12).

In the final 30mins of the trade period all the pressure + Dawson + Dawson's irate manager is on the Crows and not the Swans.

If it gets to this its about who blinks first, and swans have less to lose (23) than Crows (Dawson), but Crows have a less likelihood of losing him due to PSD (4).

I don't see it getting to this however, trade 4+ 23 to tigers for 7 + 15 and on-trade 15 for Dawson is what makes sense.

I mean 50% chance they player(s) you want at 4 are still there at 7 as after the first 2 open selections it opens right out.

Would be a poor decision to "hold" on pick 4 and risk losing Dawson (albeit small) when the Crows could have literally no downside potentially.....

In the final 30mins of the trade period all the pressure + Dawson + Dawson's irate manager is on the Crows and not the Swans.

If it gets to this its about who blinks first, and swans have less to lose (23) than Crows (Dawson), but Crows have a less likelihood of losing him due to PSD (4).

I don't see it getting to this however, trade 4+ 23 to tigers for 7 + 15 and on-trade 15 for Dawson is what makes sense.

I mean 50% chance they player(s) you want at 4 are still there at 7 as after the first 2 open selections it opens right out.

Would be a poor decision to "hold" on pick 4 and risk losing Dawson (albeit small) when the Crows could have literally no downside potentially.....
How about you just see what unfolds? What you deem unacceptable the Swans might end up accepting and then all his grandstanding would have been pointless.

How about you just see what unfolds? What you deem unacceptable the Swans might end up accepting and then all his grandstanding would have been pointless.
We will fold. Grandstanding has been cathartic and the final part of grieving process.

Refences:
1- Mitchell traded for pick 12
2- Zac Jones traded for pick 36
3- Aliir traded for late 30s
4- Nank traded for nothing

Cant remember a time we held for a good deal........in last 20 years.

Your not gonna get fair value for a OOC player. 2 seconds in my opinion would be overs by us. Regardless I expect the deal to be done early.
If you think it's overs then you haven't seen Dawson play. It's unders for a 24yo highly talented player with plenty more upside.

Two seconds is unders, but reckon if we agree to that, the deal will go through early leaving breathing space for both clubs to do more deals. Dawson having agreed to come to us expects us to get the deal done without angst.

We will fold. Grandstanding has been cathartic and the final part of grieving process.

Refences:
1- Mitchell traded for pick 12
2- Zac Jones traded for pick 36
3- Aliir traded for late 30s
4- Nank traded for nothing

Cant remember a time we held for a good deal........in last 20 years.
Mate I get it. I wanted the club to hold firm with Keath and the Bulldogs, both received similar contracts, Keath should have been attractive to a number of clubs and he had a lot more clubs to get through but we still folded.

This time we’ve only got North to worry about in the PSD and they might commit that to CCJ. Pies and Gold Coast have cap issues.

In the end, the clubs losing the player tend to get unders. I think pick 23 and another second should get it done after some argy bargy. Personally I’d prefer to give 4 and get back 12 and some other shuffling of picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think it's overs then you haven't seen Dawson play. It's unders for a 24yo highly talented player with plenty more upside.

Two seconds is unders, but reckon if we agree to that, the deal will go through early leaving breathing space for both clubs to do more deals. Dawson having agreed to come to us expects us to get the deal done without angst.

Agreed. Very slightly unders but get it done early and move on. Generally we don’t muck about.

Not at $600k per year..b crouch got $650k per year and it was band 3 compo
B.Crouch offer end up being $600K 4 years (with trigger for 5th), hence why it was Band 3. $650K was what Rockliff got a few years ago and Brisbane just missed out on Band 1 compensation due to his age allocation so it looks like you need to be 26 years old and get offer of $700K+ now to get Band 1 (Daniher got $700K 3 years so Essendon got Band 1) and $650K will now only get you Band 2.

Why would Tigers trade 7 and 15 for 4 and 23?

Not all Tiger fans are idiots

23 and next years second. Get it done and get it done early - like now, neither team can afford to get bogged down on this.

Using the PSD is bad karma for player and club. Pick 4 or next years first has no chance of being on the table. Swans never dig heals in and most importantly I'm sick of this back and forth. I also want to focus my anger somewhere more important ie. The AFL when they dish up some s**t compo for Hewett

Uncontracted Wingman. Hasn’t won anything in his time in Sydney averages 10 games a year. 1 second and a 3rd would be right

Uncontracted Wingman. Hasn’t won anything in his time in Sydney averages 10 games a year. 1 second and a 3rd would be right

Presented to you by someone who doesn't actual watch the game.

Looks like either North, Pies and the Suns are gonna be laughing then?? hehe
Really?

Collingwood and the Suns both have salary cap troubles.

And North? He's clearly said he's coming back to SA and they're looking at CCJ.

He easily could get to Adelaide in the PSD.

I'm sure Dawson would love that

You chase him for most of the season, convince him to come, and can't get it done during the trade period.

Then he has to assess his options and wait until December to officially become a crow, that's after nervously waiting to see if North or any club pick him up
Why would Dawson care? Players are now going regularly in the PSD as bottom clubs use every resource they can in a rebuild.

If anything, he benefits. The Crows frontload his first year to $1m and walk him through. Everybody wins.

We don't have the first pick this year. Sure, I doubt any other club will pick a player who has announced their intentions to return home but it's not a risk worth taking.
Didn't bother Carlton.

Back