Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

That's almost childish, as Kerry Packer said, if anybody in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their heads read.

Well that applies here, it's a negotiation, and the PSD is real, ie Dawson was leaving the Swans one way or another.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree with all of that. But it has absolutely nothing to do with my point that everything Pridham said was entirely accurate. Clubs are exploiting the system in a way it was never meant to be used. Fair play to them because the rules allow it, but fair play to Pridham for pointing it out.

"Insulting" haha get a grip. If you combine the Sydney and GWS academy players that were bid on by other clubs it still doesn't make up the difference between how many beat 22 players have requested a trade to SA and NSW in that aame period.

Like I said, every team has their own competitive advantages.
Haha give us a spell.
What about the players you guys have had come to you?
Swings and round abouts.
Name one competitive advantage Adelaide gets.

I agree with all of that. But it has absolutely nothing to do with my point that everything Pridham said was entirely accurate. Clubs are exploiting the system in a way it was never meant to be used. Fair play to them because the rules allow it, but fair play to Pridham for pointing it out.
Possibly, but I'm not convinced it's not just two sides of the same coin. How else would Dawson play football next year, given Sydney wouldn't have done the trade if they didn't think Adelaide or another club would have picked him up via the PSD and Sydney get nothing?

Haha give us a spell.
What about the players you guys have had come to you?
Swings and round abouts.
Name one competitive advantage Adelaide gets.
Since COLA was removed? Sinclair, Clarke, Taylor, and Ladhams. What a list.

I listed one in the post above.

A dozen best 22 players have requested trades to South Australia since COLA removed. 4 have requested trades to NSW.

Swings and roundabouts, like you say.
Possibly, but I'm not convinced it's not just two sides of the same coin. How else would Dawson play football next year, given Sydney wouldn't have done the trade if they didn't think Adelaide or another club would have picked him up via the PSD and Sydney get nothing?

A different trade gets done, or he stays at the Swans, and is free to move when he'a a free agent.

Entitlement is being happy to exploit the PSD as leverage for a trade in a way that it was never intended to be used, and then being upset when the other party points that out. You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Have a look at the start of the Dawson to Adelaide thread. All of the opinions in there were 15-30 - and most of the opinions from Swans fans. You have all been sucked into the ridiculous narrative from your club - pick 4 was a ludicrous ask and just grandstanding by you list management

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A dozen best 22 players have requested trades to South Australia since COLA removed. 4 have requested trades to NSW.

A different trade gets done, or he stays at the Swans, and is free to move when he'a a free agent.

Winning a premiership and then offer 2 players long term million dollar contracts does that to a list.
Understandably you guys feel short changed losing a player you really wanted to keep always sucks.
The constant like you received nothing for him though is over the top - you got the best pick available to be traded knowing that the entire competition would agree pick 4 would never be involved

Winning a premiership and then offer 2 players long term million dollar contracts does that to a list.
Understandably you guys feel short changed losing a player you really wanted to keep always sucks.
The constant like you received nothing for him though is over the top - you got the best pick available to be traded knowing that the entire competition would agree pick 4 would never be involved

No, a trade ban despite not breaking any rules does that to a team. We almost brought in Ryder the year after Buddy.

The salary cap strain has been a more recent issue and has to do with us needing to pay a premium to keep players like Heeney and Mills because of monster offers elsewhere (around $1 million for Heeney from memory).
Have a look at the start of the Dawson to Adelaide thread. All of the opinions in there were 15-30 - and most of the opinions from Swans fans. You have all been sucked into the ridiculous narrative from your club - pick 4 was a ludicrous ask and just grandstanding by you list management

It's not that we were sucked into the club's narrative, it's that we didn't expect them to play hardball. We were all glad we did though. It also added a bit of perspective to previous trades, and showed us the club had a clear plan of who it saw as part of its next flag tilt.

Look at what we got for players like Mitchell, Nankervis, Rohan, Jones, Aliir, Membrey. We had low expectations, but plenty of Swans fans wanted us to keep Dawson over Parker while they were both uncontracted (not me though).

Do you think any club would give a sh*t about a rule/system being exploited until it happened to them? It's a professional sporting competition. What do you expect?

It doesn't make the point any less valid.

It was brought in to cover the league's ass when it comes to restraint of trade. Not to be used as a negotiation tactic. It's easy to see from it's purpose and utility why it would be exploited, but I think it's a reasonable question to ask about whether it's necessary anymore with free agency.

I agree the system needs a revamp.

However unless all players become free agents at the conclusion of their contract the PSD or something similar would have to remain. Players should have the right to leave at the conclusion of their contract and be able to play elsewhere, the PSD is the mechanism which allows that.

Didn't seem to bother him the previous 2 years when it was actually used and cost other clubs actual trade value. I suppose he's just learning about it now.
Slipped his mind till it effected them then threw a hissy fit

Entitlement is being happy to exploit the PSD as leverage for a trade in a way that it was never intended to be used, and then being upset when the other party points that out. You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Your anchored position all through the period was patently ridiculous. You don't get to trade an uncontracted player for the same price as if they were contracted. Every single trade of uncontracted players has the inherent discount of the PSD implied. But acquiring clubs still pay up because it's rarely a guaranteed path and players wouldn't accept your terms in the first place if it included having to wait for a few other clubs to decline in the PSD. If you want contracted player leverage at the trade table then make sure your players are contracted.

So what you’re saying is your club doesn’t care about it being unfair until it happens to them.
Why aren’t other clubs crying about it?
It’s happened to other clubs before.
And for some unknown reason you guys are complaining when you’ve actually done extremely well out of the situation.

I guess that Sydney management need to placate their masses after doing a Kelly and shooting their mouth off without considering the cold and hard reality of the situation. They've blamed the system publicly, so they'll move on now and completely forget about it.

So removing COLA has made it harder to attract ready made players? That's interesting because I thought it was a retention allowance to cover cost of living to ensure you were able to keep your existing players. And yet, it seems that removing it has only impacted your ability to attract best 22 players from other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Insulting" haha get a grip. If you combine the Sydney and GWS academy players that were bid on by other clubs it still doesn't make up the difference between how many beat 22 players have requested a trade to SA and NSW in that aame period.

Like I said, every team has their own competitive advantages.

I have to agree with this.

As we have seen in this last trade period, , GWS are finding it really difficult to try convince quality players to their club, despite being regular finalists/contenders and losing quality players almost every season.

So removing COLA has made it harder to attract ready made players? That's interesting because I thought it was a retention allowance to cover cost of living to ensure you were able to keep your existing players. And yet, it seems that removing it has only impacted your ability to attract best 22 players from other clubs.
What's interesting about it? Correct, it was a retention allowance that was applied externally to all contracts.

A contract in NSW is inherently worth less than a contract elsewhere. If you could sign a $400k contract in Sydney or a $400k contract in Victoria or SA or WA, it would make sense to accept the contract in Victoria where the median house price is $400k less, or SA or WA where the median house price is about half as much.

It seems pretty self-explanatory.

What's interesting about it? Correct, it was a retention allowance that was applied externally to all contracts.

A contract in NSW is inherently worth less than a contract elsewhere. If you could sign a $400k contract in Sydney or a $400k contract in Victoria or SA or WA, it would make sense to accept the contract in Victoria where the median house price is $400k less, or SA or WA where the median house price is about half as much.

It seems pretty self-explanatory.
It depends on where you want to live

A lot of people apparently
Plenty also want to get out, which is the problem. Easy for us to keep the academy boys who were raised there, but starts to get difficult after that.

1634355041059.png

85DAC8C5-C91E-4F36-8452-57FF49FA27EA.jpeg

Will Hayward and Dylan Stephens next. Adelaide is the place to live

I have to agree with this.

As we have seen in this last trade period, , GWS are finding it really difficult to try convince quality players to their club, despite being regular finalists/contenders and losing quality players almost every season.

I don't know if GWS is a good example at this point (or anything other than how much Gold Coast ****ed up). They've had that many draft picks over the last decade and have been well managed enough that even with losing good player regularly, they're loaded with talent.

Quite likely a team that's always nearing the ceiling of the cap, regardless what happens.

SA should have their own scheme then
Maybe they should. NGA prospects are a good start. Combine them with the number of players that request trades home to SA, and you've already got more prospective recruits than the NSW academy boys that have actually been bid on by other clubs since it was introduced.

Maybe they should. NGA prospects are a good start. Combine them with the number of players that request trades home to SA, and you've already got more prospective recruits than the NSW academy boys that have actually been bid on by other clubs since it was introduced.
As of next year we can’t match bids on top 40, you can so stop your whinging

Back