Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

This makes me ill. Us Swans fans all knew we were getting shafted, but this just confirms it.

And journo's have been urging for the last week that we should take what we can get, and then this comes out after we get * all saying it's a steal for them.

We're only pissed off because he's is right on the precipice of being an elite player. Obviously no opposition supporters watched him play because they didn't think he was anything to get excited about. We've helped develop him into a complete player just to get the big FU. Maybe he was in an untenable position and he felt like he had to say what everyone wanted to hear but he's left under a cloud of bad faith.

The idea of the PSD is for equalisation, and it has done its job here. But I do think the exiting club should receive salary cap compensation to make up the difference in worth perhaps.

the PSD is not for equalisation. It has nothing at all to do with equalisation.

it’s sole purpose is to facilitate the movement of uncontracted players as a steam release valve in the draft/trade mechanisms. Without it the AFLPA and others may well have a case for restraint of trade.

it’s part of the suite of player movement mechanics, and in this case it’s the fallback to stop the system completely jamming up

it’s sole purpose is to facilitate the movement of uncontracted players as a steam release valve in the draft/trade mechanisms. Without it the AFLPA and others may well have a case for restraint of trade.

it’s part of the suite of player movement mechanics, and in this case it’s the fallback to stop the system completely jamming up
You’re right.

But your club is still “The New Dodoro”.

I hate this notion of nominating clubs. You want to go home that's okay but you shouldn't be allowed to nominate a certain club unless you are a FA.

oh c’mon: no one really believes ANY player actually just wants to go home. It’s just theatre they say to start with to soften the blow

players move for opportunities or improved terms. That’s it. No one goes home, no one misses mum.

Dawson got a fat contract, and we obviously love bombed here all year.

there is no go home factor, and there never has been

oh c’mon: no one really believes ANY player actually just wants to go home. It’s just theatre they say to start with to soften the blow

players move for opportunities or improved terms. That’s it. No one goes home, no one misses mum.

Dawson got a fat contract, and we obviously love bombed here all year.

there is no go home factor, and there never has been
Sanders, I have a lot of time for you and you're one of the few level headed Crows posters on opposition threads as far as I'm concerned but on this matter I completely disagree. Moving home is also an opportunity in itself and one that every AFL player is entitled to. I honestly believe Dawson was more than happy to stay at the Swans but the lure of being closer to home for either himself and/or his partner during a pretty rough period of time for expats ultimately proved too strong. He along with countless others in the system past and present have left for the same reason as the opportunity to be surrounded by your own network of family and friends is something money can't buy.

Dawson in this instance, gets both...

Sanders, I have a lot of time for you and you're one of the few level headed Crows posters on opposition threads as far as I'm concerned but on this matter I completely disagree. Moving home is also an opportunity in itself and one that every AFL player is entitled to. I honestly believe Dawson was more than happy to stay at the Swans but the lure of being closer to home for either himself and/or his partner during a pretty rough period of time for expats ultimately proved too strong. He along with countless others in the system past and present have left for the same reason as the opportunity to be surrounded by your own network of family and friends is something money can't buy.

Dawson in this instance, gets both...

see, I think money did buy it.

your improved offer and Ports interest all came too late IMO. We’d been in his ear all year long, every one wants to be wanted

I should say I don’t blame any player for chasing cash. I don’t know why we insist they have to pretend cash is not a huge motivator. As it should be

being around family and friends is great, really, I totally buy that, but not too many players take a pay cut for it. And not many recruiting clubs even suggest it

FWIW, I have no idea why Dawson said Swans fans had nothing to worry about. It seems a zero upside, high risk, stupid thing to say in the moment when you know you’re being heavily recruited

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet it is functioning like an equalisation measure, Adelaide were s**t, consequently got a high non-tradeable psd pick and used it as leverage. IMO swans are being disadvantaged for finding and developing an elite player and performing well. A player which I might add for many years neither SA team gave a rats arse about. We've gone and got our player no one wanted, finished high and Adelaide reap the rewards for...?
I think equalisation is a good thing but each team has to have the same penalty ie through lower picks in the draft, not one good team directly subsidising a s**t team due to the psd threat. Melbs future first is not good faith and looks like the bare minimum to keep AFL house from reforming. Dawson should have to go through the national draft and there is no way he would make it past pick 10.

Going forward AFL should either get rid the illusion of rfa and just make it raw fa or put players in the regular draft. Can't blame the Crows here as at some point some team was going to rort the system, but I'll make it very clear the crows are diggin our potatoes on this one when they should be growing their own, it's tantamount to welfare.

Yet it is functioning like an equalisation measure, Adelaide were sh*t, consequently got a high non-tradeable psd pick and used it as leverage. IMO swans are being disadvantaged for finding and developing an elite player and performing well. A player which I might add for many years neither SA team gave a rats arse about. We've gone and got our player no one wanted, finished high and Adelaide reap the rewards for...?
I think equalisation is a good thing but each team has to have the same penalty ie through lower picks in the draft, not one good team directly subsidising a sh*t team due to the psd threat. Melbs future first is not good faith and looks like the bare minimum to keep AFL house from reforming. Dawson should have to go through the national draft and there is no way he would make it past pick 10.

Going forward AFL should either get rid the illusion of rfa and just make it raw fa or put players in the regular draft. Can't blame the Crows here as at some point some team was going to rort the system, but I'll make it very clear the crows are diggin our potatoes on this one when they should be growing their own, it's tantamount to welfare.

Luke Ball left ST Kilda after a trade couldn’t be done, and he went into the national draft. He lasted until pick 30!

players now, including Jordan Dawson or Adam Cerra, have the option to go into the national draft (with nominated salary) instead of the PSD.

I can't wait to play Adelaide next year and smash them by 100 points. Our cheer squad needs to start thinking of phrases that rhyme with 'good faith'.

I'm thinking along the lines of "go step on a rake."
A banner with the quote in this thread title is all it needs

People moving interstate are not expats.
given how state governments all feel they are governing their own separate country, maybe these days they are.

Quite why any player would join the Crows, for any amount of money, is beyond me. Jordan's partner must have put some sort of ultimatum on the table. He'll look back on this decision with regret, as it dawns that he's playing with a bunch of bottom-dwelling racists. Nicksy's a great bloke but he's working with a team of rabble in trying to coach Adelaide. Perhaps he hopes Dawson can tell him how it's done, maybe even spill a little of Horse's secret sauce on his stable of duds. What he doesn't realise is Jordan's greatest success is his role as a part of a team machine. His contribution outside of the team is like the bonnet ornament from a Rolls Royce. It won't make a Commodore look better, or whatever s**t they used to make in Adelaide before they all became unemployable. At least Dawson will always be free in September to cheer on his former teammates as they contest premiership after premiership in a dynasty like none before.

Adelaide may have seemed like a city of bright lights to a lad fresh off the bus from sleepy Robe, but after the hip harbourside and beach lifestyle of Sydney he'll quickly find Adelaide is just as sleepy as Robe. A town where listening to chruch bells is a big night out and getting mugged on Hindley St is the highlight, where haute cuisine is a pie floating in green/grey slop, excitement is a tram ride to the flat soup of Glenelg beach and culture is hating a better AFL team. The weather ranges from blistering unbearable heat in summer to howling freezing rain in winter. The distant Adelaide hills may offer some escape from the oppressive heat, unless some bored teen has set them on fire. On Ash Wednesday 1983 I watched the hills burn, on a day so hot it burnt the nostrils to breathe the hot air laden with red dust as it roared in from the desert. From the top floor of the Grenfell Tower, the most exciting event in Adelaide's history unfolded before me as I watched in horror.

The only real loser in this trade is Dawson. Adelaide is a soulless city, a city of ghosts, a place where ambition and dreams go to die. A forgotten city, an outlier, without the confidence of the black sheep Perth or the wild frontier town of Darwin. Adelaide is forgotten, it desperately claws for recognition, resenting its larger more cosmopolitan Eastern cousins and forever carrying a huge chip on its shoulder. Of course the fans of Adelaide get a thrill out of a small win over Sydney, every win counts when you have so few, and those in Melbourne, ever resentful of Sydney, are happy to see us disadvantaged, as long as the system works in the interests of the Vics. The Swans will bounce back, someone will slip into Dawson's role as new opportunities open up. We have a team of sharp ball users who can play in any number of roles.

This makes me ill. Us Swans fans all knew we were getting shafted, but this just confirms it.

So taking into account both Dawson and Ladhams tradea we're down about 30 points, or a pick 44. Given Horse's ability to shuffle the deck and restructure the team even better, and given how many good youngsters are knocking on the door, we'll do just fine. Revenge on Adelaide will come but we'll serve it cold, icy cold and just when they least expect it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back