Traded Jordan Roughead [traded to Collingwood for pick 75]

Remove this Banner Ad

eagles are interested but we would have to trade for him assuming we got compo for Gaff and/or Lycett.

What is he worth in a trade?
He's an ex-VC, outstanding character off field, involved in coaching the dogs VFLW side. So no personailty issues to decrease his value.

Had some bad luck with injury the past couple of years. One of our best players GF day, very solid utility as he can play as a fairly decent defender when needed. Had a bit of an issue with consistency the last year or so when he's been healthy. Seems to have fallen out of favour behind English, Boyd and Trengove so dogs don't have as much use for him anymore.

I'd think a mid-3rd rounder or somewhere around there would be about right. Not sure what Eagles have, but even their 3rd plus some pick swaps would probably get it done I'd think

eagles are interested but we would have to trade for him assuming we got compo for Gaff and/or Lycett.

What is he worth in a trade?
I'd imagine Roughy wouldn't be on a huge contract so if the size of the north offer to Gaff rumours are true he'd still attract band 1 I assume.

Good point.

Or band 2 would be the same compo if we won the flag...
Either way you'll get ripped pretty hard on compo if you don't match. Gonna be another Buddy-level compensation for one of the best and most consistent players in the comp

Either way you'll get ripped pretty hard on compo if you don't match. Gonna be another Buddy-level compensation for one of the best and most consistent players in the comp
North's first would surely come into play for Gaff as an RFA.

WCE may offer a trade for Roughy to preserve any Lycett compo, I imagine we wouldn't play hardball with Rough out of respect for him.
Third rounder, we might try a late pick upgrade too to get extra points for our FS / NGA bids.

North's first would surely come into play for Gaff as an RFA.

WCE may offer a trade for Roughy to preserve any Lycett compo, I imagine we wouldn't play hardball with Rough out of respect for him.
Third rounder, we might try a late pick upgrade too to get extra points for our FS / NGA bids.

Yep - no point taking him as a free agent - unless we secure trades for Gaff and Lycett (assuming they go)

Knowing WC and WB trading history - this will end up being mutually beneficial for both clubs, done professionally and amicably.

Would struggle to nominate two other sides who get on better at this time of year.

Knowing WC and WB trading history - this will end up being mutually beneficial for both clubs, done professionally and amicably.

Would struggle to nominate two other sides who get on better at this time of year.
Yep - plus Bulldogs and WCE were the first clubs to swap picks when the AFL allowed it. We downgraded a 2nd rounder to nab Ben Hudson from the Crows, Eagles upgraded their second rounder to take to the draft. Win/win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff will still get you pick 18-20 ish if you lose Lycett and get Roughead

If we got band 1 for Gaff and band 2 for Lycett, then you'd assume that we would choose to dilute Gaff's compo.

Diluting Lycett's compo would be a huge hit.

Diluting Gaff might move him from band 1 to band 2, which would probably be an impact of 0-2 picks, assuming we make a prelim.

Yep - plus Bulldogs and WCE were the first clubs to swap picks when the AFL allowed it. We downgraded a 2nd rounder to nab Ben Hudson from the Crows, Eagles upgraded their second rounder to take to the draft. Win/win.

Happened a few times over the years. McDougall was a 5 pick upgrade when you traded for Aker the year before too. The two clubs seem to trade pretty amicably.

Yep - no point taking him as a free agent - unless we secure trades for Gaff and Lycett (assuming they go)

We do alright with Sydney and Freo as well

You mean Band 1?

Please explain.

Full time ruck for me. 200cm height and 100kg + weight. Has played that role for the past few years for the dogs.

Doesnt have huge numbers because the dogs have always had one if not 2 of Tom Boyd, Trengove, T.English, T.Campbell playing with him. Has never had the chance to be a sole ruck.

It would be interesting to know his endurance but cant imagine its that far behind too many other club rucks. Id say Vardy would still play with him as backup

Full time ruck for me. 200cm height and 100kg + weight. Has played that role for the past few years for the dogs.
Well, he doesn't average many hitouts for a full-time ruckman.

Doesnt have huge numbers because the dogs have always had one if not 2 of Tom Boyd, Trengove, T.English, T.Campbell playing with him. Has never had the chance to be a sole ruck.
So that suggests he's not really a full-time ruckman, doesn't it?

It would be interesting to know his endurance but cant imagine its that far behind too many other club rucks. Id say Vardy would still play with him as backup
So he's less a full-time ruckman than Vardy?

Is Roughead a genuine full-time ruckman?
I can see you guys doing something like a triangle rotation, with Roughead between Defense and Ruck, Vardy going between Forward and Ruck, then McGovern going between Forward and Defense.

I don't think Roughead would likely be full time rucking, but it really depends how Eagles would want to use him. He's capable of it, but is not going to be winning too many of the ruck battles against sides other than Geelong, Bulldogs, GWS, Essendon and Richmond, where they have similarly weak ruck stocks. He's a very decent stop-gap for 2019, and won't be a list clogger once Naitanui returns

Is Roughead a genuine full-time ruckman?
He’s a jack of all trades type, master of none. Reasonably injury prone. Great clubman and person. Given we’d probably get a 3rd round compo without a trade it would need something roughly around that for a trade to happen.

I can see you guys doing something like a triangle rotation, with Roughead between Defense and Ruck, Vardy going between Forward and Ruck, then McGovern going between Forward and Defense.
No I don't think we'll be doing that.

I don't think Roughead would likely be full time rucking, but it really depends how Eagles would want to use him. He's capable of it, but is not going to be winning too many of the ruck battles against sides other than Geelong, Bulldogs, GWS, Essendon and Richmond, where they have similarly weak ruck stocks. He's a very decent stop-gap for 2019, and won't be a list clogger once Naitanui returns
That doesn't excite me.

Sounds like an upgrade on Fraser McInnes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back