Opinion Keeping assistants when hiring a new senior coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think this deserves a new thread rather than blend in with the existing one.
Does this include all off field staff?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/port-turns-to-older-heads-to-pick-coach-20120821-24jt6.html
Thomas said he was not totally open to any new coach arriving with his own panel of assistant coaches.
"I actually have been really pleased with the progress of the group we brought in last year," Thomas said.
"They are developing nicely and I don't subscribe to the fact the incoming coach should dictate what you're doing with the entire structure. We will have a discussion about it but, no [I don't like it]."
With a football department involved in the appointment of a new coach and, seemingly, a mandate that the current assistants remain, the report on the entire club may present conflicting reviews, adding to the complexity of Port's search and possibly leaving potential candidates unsure about the club
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/port-turns-to-older-heads-to-pick-coach-20120821-24jt6.html

This is already covered in the senior coach thread - new senior coaches nowadays rarely bring in an entirely new complement of assistants. I'm sure if you look at the most recent senior coach appointments, the existing assistants have more often stayed.

As is the bullshit suggestion that we need a senior coach for a couple of years 'to make the hard decisions' before a young senior assistant takes the top job. I didn't hear any of this crap last year when Melbourne in particular were looking for a senior coach.

This is already covered in the senior coach thread - new senior coaches nowadays rarely bring in an entirely new complement of assistants. I'm sure if you look at the most recent senior coach appointments, the existing assistants have more often stayed.
A full complement, no.
A select few? Most definitely yes.

I did raise this last night. It only adds weight to what i was saying. Fact is the club is having trouble talking to potential candidates. Truth being those in the up and coming ranks are reluctant to take the position on. If it fails their coaching career is dead in the water. Those who have been round and round the garden are on a hiding to nothing and willing to except. Mind boggling that they would present with demands. Never seen this before, alarm bells ringing god only knows what the players are thinking.

I'd add that what doesn't seem to be an issue for almost every other club, suddenly becomes an issue because it's Port Adelaide.

Well that's because almost every other club has better assistants than us.

You have a blend. A new coach should bring in one or two assistants and maybe a fitness/medical guy and he should keep a couple of the existing blokes who know the players and culture and can feed info to the new coach.

It would be stupid to sack all the assistants and have no "club" knowledge of the players that remain on the list.

It would be stupid to sack all the assiatants and have no "club" knowledge of the players that remain on the list.

I'd be more than happy for the new coach to not have anybody in his ear telling him that Salter is a defender, David Rodan is a back pocket who should never be played as a sub, Brett Ebert is a deep forward, Lobbe is a No. 1 ruckman, Troy Chaplin is a loose man, Mitch Banner is a spud, Tom Logan is a good player etc.

I'd guess that we have at least 2 spots up for grabs, possibly 3 depending on Hocking's contract status. We were planning on adding a senior assistant to Primus, and bRyan has been turfed. A new coach being able to bring in one or two doesn't seem unreasonably restrictive. Anyone know who Watters brought to St K? McCarthy to dogs? Lyon to Freo? etc etc. There weren't whole new assistant panels brought in by any of the recently appointed new senior coaches, IIRC.

Revelations from the independent review will hopefully/must provide the clearest direction the PAFC has experienced for several year

Unfortunately, the media being what is, the club has no control over how these misfits report things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... he should keep a coupl of the existing blokes who know the players and culture and can feed info to the new coach.

It would be stupid to sack all the assiatants and have no "club" knowledge of the players that remain on the list.
Absolutely. :thumbsu:

You have a blend. A new coach should bring in one or two assistants and maybe a fitness/medical guy ...
Absolutely. :thumbsu:

Now where does the statement from KT fit in with the above two quotes? On face value not with the bottom one and if that is the case some potential applicants will think twice before applying for the job.

I'd be more than happy for the new coach to not have anybody in his ear telling him that Salter is a defender, David Rodan is a back pocket who should never be played as a sub, Brett Ebert is a deep forward, Lobbe is a No. 1 ruckman, Tom Logan is a good player etc.

You need inside knowledge. A smart new coach will have an idea where he reckons guys should play. Anyone with half a brain from outside Port knows Ebert shouldn't be playing FF against a guy 15cm and 15kgs bigger than him. If we get a coach that reckons Ebert should be our FF or main leading forward then the agony is going to continue for years.

You keep a couple of coaches who know whose a good trainer or poor trainer, who has personal issues, who needs their egos stroked, who needs a rocket up them to fire them up, who has more ability than they have shown, who needs more work, who is going nowhere, who doesn't do enough, who does the right thing by the other players, who doesn't, who might be a good ordinary player but is a great team man etc etc.

A new coach will be appointed probably between the 15th and 20th September, he probably will get involved in trade discussions on around the 5th October, the players probably don't come back until the 20th October, the older blokes will be back at the start of November and the first delistings have to happen by the 30th October. Any new coach would be foolish to draw on zero existing club knowledge.

You gotta get rid of your everything is disposable generation mentality. It's worth keeping old s**t around which you can use later.

Had a taste for it when Rocket was interviewed during the pies game. Pies were in trouble and rocket presented the same old same old. They got beaten and didnt have the answers in the box. Wallace should be training greyhounds. Both of the above will bring nothing to the club. Whatever input they wish to bring to their interview. Keith Thomas is right. Light at the end of the tunnel lies with people such Burns, Cameron, Bassett etc and our core assistants. We wont attract a top liner, nor should we settle for been there done nothing had a chance and failed. Big tick Keith.

We need the following assistants
1. A 200+ game defender to be our defence coach
2. A 200+ game forward hopefully KFP to be a forwards coach
3. We need a ruckman to be our ruck coach. Rehn can stay unless Lade is coming home
4. you need 2 or 3 midfield coaches with so many rotations. I liked the way Buddha Hocking played and I like what I have seen our mid field do at the clearances the last 2 weeks. I'd keep Buddha and get a bloody skills coach so that they can use the ball after they have won it. I don't know about Carr but I like the way he played and he can concentrate on the mongrel tactics.
5. A development coach. I reckon Gotch did a good job with our back six for the first half of the year so he can stay.
6. A super duper kicking skills coach
7. A super duper handballing skills coach
8. The best bloody sports scientist fitness coach who knows the football industry we can find
9. A weights coach who can turn skinny endurance runners into big bodied big arsed warriors quickly
10. A wrestling coach
11. A boxing or mixed martial arts coach.

So in that list there is plenty of scope to keep some of our existing assistants and support staff and plenty of scope for the new boy to bring his assistants. The challange is there for the new boy to get 1 and 2 right.

Without qualification, I want exactly what REH said.

REH I liked the way Primus played but his coaching stank.

I'll only disagree with Buddha on your list. I'm not convinced with him carr, Gotch, Rehn too early to tell. even though Matthews sacked Rehn didn't he? Buddha coached at lower level for no success if I recall. If couldn't get a job in Melbourne either and took a job here. Plus he's had his time here (4 years?)

Rick I didn't say I want Buddha as head coach.

Buddha is one of the hardest and smartest mid fielders I have seen at V/AFL level. And he had a magnificent "natural" non preffered left foot kick, well before Aker stole the top spot in the naughties.

Buddha did a great job at the Geelong Falcons working with kids and was working with our kids in his first year in 2010. He coached Peel Thunder for ONE year in 2005. They started in 1997 and have struggled every year in the WAFL. They haven't played finals in 16 seasons and have a win-loss record of 21% . He finished 2nd, 6th, 3rd and 1st in his 4 years at the Geelong Falcons during 2006-09.

He is the sort of bloke you want around a club who can balance a good sense of humour and play the game hard and drive the players. Do a search under Toots' name and you will read some of Toots thoughts about Buddha whilst Toots was volunteering his services at the club before passing away.

Buddha was made our forwards coach because we didn't have the $$$ to go and get a proper one in 2011. He didn't play much as a forward. He played as a mid fielder in most of his 274 games. He won 4 B&F's at Geelong as a mid fielder. He won 4 All Australian's as a mid fielder. He was selected for Victoria as a mid fielder. He made the Hall of Fame as a mid fielder and he made the Geelong team of the century because of his mid field exploits.

He should be a mid field coach. Port making Buddha a forwards coach, makes as much sense as Geelong going and getting Tredders and making him a mid field coach.

1. A 200+ game defender to be our defence coach
2. A 200+ game forward hopefully KFP to be a forwards coach
3. We need a ruckman to be our ruck coach. Rehn can stay unless Lade is coming home
4. you need 2 or 3 midfield coaches with so many rotations. I liked the way Buddha Hocking played and I like what I have seen our mid field do at the clearances the last 2 weeks. I'd keep Buddha and get a bloody skills coach so that they can use the ball after they have won it. I don't know about Carr but I like the way he played and he can concentrate on the mongrel tactics.
5. A development coach. I reckon Gotch did a good job with our back six for the first half of the year so he can stay.
6. A super duper kicking skills coach
7. A super duper handballing skills coach
8. The best bloody sports scientist fitness coach who knows the football industry we can find
9. A weights coach who can turn skinny endurance runners into big bodied big arsed warriors quickly
10. A wrestling coach

So in that list there is plenty of scope to keep some of our existing assistants and support staff and plenty of scope for the new boy to bring his assistants. The challange is there for the new boy to get 1 and 2 right.

who are we sacking to pay for these? you've hired ten new people

10. A wrestling coach

There's a man with a mullet and a widow's peak that I would highly recommend for 9-11.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back