Keith Thomas to finish as PAFC CEO in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

How would Vozzo be any better than Richo or Davies? What is his experience in a CE role at a football club working with international interests? Or any CE experience?

I think thst people like shiny new things. 🤣

:D We may yet get a shiny new thing. As I recall, Port Adelaide has two executive hiring firms looking for suitable candidates, one focusing on a football person with impeccable credentials, the other on a business person who is similarly qualified. Ideally you would get someone who is discovered by both firms. Even if it is only the one agency (definitely the football focused) it is a substantial commitment to finding the right person with extensive experience in both fields if possible. Caro did say there were two firms looking and thought Port had a commercial focus in their hunt.

Given this process was held up by Covidworld and is still ongoing, it is highly unlikely anyone has the job yet. And honestly, I don't know what credentials Craig Vozzo has that makes him the outstanding candidate Port appear to be seeking.

Vozzo is a gun.

But would he be a gun CE? He's been a player manager, list manager, and is GM of Football Operations at West Coast. That's a very specific area of expertise. There's nothing there that screams he could step up to the running of a football club and working with business, sponsors and international markets to build a profile and footprint in Australia and internationally, especially in China.

Richo has done all of that at least in a supporting role (Lockhart Road may be able to tell us more) and has taken on additional duties from KT (along with Chris Davies) during this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But would he be a gun CE? He's been a player manager, list manager, and is GM of Football Operations at West Coast. That's a very specific area of expertise. There's nothing there that screams he could step up to the running of a football club and working with business, sponsors and international markets to build a profile and footprint in Australia and internationally, especially in China.

Richo has done all of that at least in a supporting role (Lockhart Road may be able to tell us more) and has taken on additional duties from KT (along with Chris Davies) during this year.

I think he would be. Just my view.

I'm happy with Richo overall. I feel like a big part of the turnaround in messaging from the club over the last 12-18 months is because he came out and talked to angry supporters, took our feedback on board and implemented it.
Correct, Richo is that one that heard directly from his membership team about feedback from members and fans as well as many pissed off members wrote to him, a lot more than pissed off members wrote to KT.

I think he would be. Just my view.

That's fair enough. I really don't know much about him. His name seems to get thrown out there a bit, trying to find out his strengths for the position.

After all, he's been anointed by Baz's fruit and veg man :p

Correct, Richo is that one that heard directly from his membership team about feedback from members and fans as well as many pissed off members wrote to him, a lot more than pissed off members wrote to KT.

I know I did, both in email and on twitter. His responses were frank and understanding, and he earned a lot of my respect. I believe if he's in charge, the club will at least have the right attitude towards accountability.

KT got us out of the mire back in the dark days and we should forever be thankful for that, but I think he's def lost his way in the last 18-24 months.

KT got us out of the mire back in the dark days and we should forever be thankful for that, but I think he's def lost his way in the last 18-24 months.
Everyone's time comes to finish up and do something else.

I know I did, both in email and on twitter. His responses were frank and understanding, and he earned a lot of my respect. I believe if he's in charge, the club will at least have the right attitude towards accountability.
Plus he has been 2IC for 3 or 4 years so he has basically been put in the position to develop and then take over.

I wrote back on page 30 of this thread the last 25 years or so experience of BHP's last half a dozen CEO's. When the s**t hit the fan they went and got an outsider to run the place and change it. Things then went well and then they got insiders to take over, who had worked elsewhere, but had been at BHP for 5 years or so, and knew the company inside out.

Unless we find an absolute star outsider with a strong corporate bent and can easily get inside the C-suite of ASX200 companies I can't see another AFL industry person getting the job over Richo.

Plus he has been 2IC for 3 or 4 years so he has basically been put in the position to develop and then take over.

I wrote back on page 30 of this thread the last 25 years or so experience of BHP's last half a dozen CEO's. When the sh*t hit the fan they went and got an outsider to run the place and change it. Things then went well and then they got insiders to take over, who had worked elsewhere, but had been at BHP for 5 years or so, and knew the company inside out.

Unless we find an absolute star outsider with a strong corporate bent and can easily get inside the C-suite of ASX200 companies I can't see another AFL industry person getting the job over Richo.

I'm assuming the board makes this decision but the AFL must endorse it.

The critical item on any new PAFC CEO’s can-do list is the ability to handle Koch, to work with Koch, to command Koch, to never be subservient to or obsequious towards Koch.

That has been the overpowering risk with recruiting from outside the Club.

Koch has changed. We’ve all seen it and enjoyed it. It’s a key factor in our 2020 on-field performance.

The Koch : Ken relationship has been transformed into what it should have been all along.

This happened thanks to factors within the Club, factors that have been there all along but which were not treated with due and constructive respect ... until the night of the 150 Gala. That was the ultimate watershed.

Examine the humility of both Koch and Ken that mighty night.

Why are you nervous about it?

On GM1925 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It feels like a small club appointment. No doubt if hes appointed the club will talk about doing an extensive nation wide search but they found the best applicant was right in front of them ... but thats club speak.

I don't have anyhting specifc against him but he comes across to me as a good 2IC, but not the main dog (but would be happy to be proven wrong). I'm just not sure what he brings to the role that he doesn't do already. His employment history doesnt jump out, take out his time at Port in 2 roles and he has 10 years at two companies I've never heard of , but that feel like smalltime player management companies, and 5 years in game dev at the SACA.

Probably because his times been chewed up on the China project.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back