Keith Thomas to finish as PAFC CEO in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, we just generate more revenue than we did in 2011. Our debt is still one of the worst in the league.

That stadium deal though.
The crows will be 30mil in Debt when they build there new home won't hear that in the media though. it's all about being able to service it which is why membership is important a drop off effects it big time an increase helps. A lot of clubs are in Debt they need to be to keep progressing facilities etc. I don't blame the debt not decreasing entirely on kt. Sponsorship is key driver to income but more so is membership and Merch sales if that drops off or doesn't increase like it should that's on the on field performance so that's on ken and the coaches.

how much of our debt is ‘good’ debt though, ie. directly tied to profit-making assets?

aren’t we still carrying debt held over from a sublicence that the SANFL don’t even own any more, and yet we still don’t own our own AFL license

The crows will be 30mil in Debt when they build there new home won't hear that in the media though. it's all about being able to service it which is why membership is important a drop off effects it big time an increase helps. A lot of clubs are in Debt they need to be to keep progressing facilities etc. I don't blame the debt not decreasing entirely on kt. Sponsorship is key driver to income but more so is membership and Merch sales if that drops off or doesn't increase like it should that's on the on field performance so that's on ken and the coaches.

The only way this club makes money from playing football is with 45k+ attendees and relying on making finals for that bonus money. They negotiated a deal when we were riding a high and it was short sighted and left us with no room to move.
Now we announce profits before depreciation, which we weren't doing in the early years of Koch. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Is it not entirely possible that KT was ready to hang up the boots earlier this year..remember his crypic letter?
Is is not also entirely possible that Koch has pressured him to stay for the 2020 celebrations and to see out his contract.
This talk of him selfishly wanting to be here for the celebrations doesn’t ring true for me, knowing the type of person he is.
Koch, on the other hand......
Yeah KT has really massively taking his foot of the pedal of late but give him some credit, surely.
Hopefully our next CEO has some expertise for dealing with our massive China push. Perhaps it was all too much for KT.

It’s very typical bigfooty behaviour to finally get something you’ve been demanding for years and then be unhappy

they didn’t get what they wanted.

Rightly or wrongly thomas walking out when it suits him with a pat on the back and a thank you while the things he has failed are ignored are not remotely what some people here wanted.

it’s almost the opposite

as for me I think Thomas did some good but will mostly be remembered for that Hinkley contract and generally being a pushover

Hopefully our next CEO has some expertise for dealing with our massive China push. Perhaps it was all too much for KT.
Great that he’s staying around until October then huh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given his ridiculous comment not so long ago about extending Hinkley if he was out of contract this year, I think his departure is way overdue.

Like it or not, we're stuck with Ken until the end of 2020. It doesn't do anyone any good for the CEO of the club to be publicly saying 'yeah, we know he's s**t, the only reason he's still here is because we can't pay out his contract', even if he may well think that privately.

You can't believe anything that anyone at the club says about Hinkley this year. They're just saying what they have to say. Except Rucci and Kornes, who are biased campaigners putting personal relationships above the good of the club.

My wish for our next ceo is a real agitator.
I could forgive all sorts of things if the person at least stirs s**t up and mirrors what the supporters of the club really feel about the state the afl and sanfl have placed upon this club.

Us against the rest for CEO

Just a few...
  • Took us from a financial basket case in 2012 to being financially viable.
  • Oversaw the movement from AAMI to Adelaide Oval. AO wasn't KT's initiative but he was a big force in the move.
  • Increased Membership from 29,000 to 50,000 plus during his tenure.
  • Negotiated new sponsors including GFG, Renault and OAK in the wake of the MY ATM fiasco.
  • Introduced 'We Are Port Adelaide' and NTUA as part of the AO pre game ritual.
  • Negotiated the One Club deal with the SANFL and Port Magpies.
I do not give KT sole credit for any of the above but they were intiated during his tenure. If you are going to can the bloke for the bad decisions made while he has been CEO has has to get some credit for the positives.

Yeah look, I'm not sure that any of these things are achievements.

The Adelaide Oval move preceded KT and is responsible for most of our financial turnaround. Also some reports out us $18mil in debt. How strong are we financially?

Adelaide Oval was put in place prior to his arrival and by all reports, we don't have a great deal there.

Membership did go up, but we had a couple of decent seasons at a shiny new stadium. Have we capitalised on that new stadium optimally?

I don't see our sponsorship stuff as a positive given the stories of missed opportunities.

Pregame has been terrific overall.

OneClub happened before KT.

Now is as good a time as any to really piss some people off

I mean what are the afl going to do to us? Give us a worse draw? Pull support for China?

Biting the hand that feeds you isn’t so scary when the hand feeds you a s**t sandwich already.

The Adelaide Oval move preceded KT and is responsible for most of our financial turnaround. Also some reports out us $18mil in debt. How strong are we financially?

Adelaide Oval was put in place prior to his arrival and by all reports, we don't have a great deal there.

Membership did go up, but we had a couple of decent seasons at a shiny new stadium. Have we capitalised on that new stadium optimally?

I don't see our sponsorship stuff as a positive given the stories of missed opportunities.

Also re: major sponsorship they’ve all been on the cheap side.

Renault was reported only paying $500K per year which is pretty low for a joint major. Oak were allowed to double up for free and are yet to be replaced. No one seems to know if GFG are even contributing anything noteworthy to the football program or if the bulk of it is just more community proud rubbish.

Considering the advantages of the new stadium and the widely-expected trajectory (hehe) of our list during KT’s reign the sponsorship side of things has been a sizeable fail.

OneClub happened at the end of 2013, well into KTs era

Like it or not, we're stuck with Ken until the end of 2020. It doesn't do anyone any good for the CEO of the club to be publicly saying 'yeah, we know he's s**t, the only reason he's still here is because we can't pay out his contract', even if he may well think that privately.

You can't believe anything that anyone at the club says about Hinkley this year. They're just saying what they have to say. Except Rucci and Kornes, who are biased campaigners putting personal relationships above the good of the club.
KT's words were he wouldn't hesitate to extend Hinkley's tenure mid this season if he were out of contract season's end. It was a real shake head moment. I won't lie, I've wanted him gone for a long time. Poor financials, lack of a second major, failure to capitalise on the boon of the Adelaide oval move. Started off well but the last 5 years have been poor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back